Catholic Service Appeal - CSA
We just got presented with this again at Mass today.  A few weeks ago our priest said he needed us to give, otherwise his hand shakes if he has to write that big check for the difference.

So - how is this an Appeal, if they just take the money if you don't donate it?

Does anyone know where this money goes?  I don't trust the Bishops enough to send them a nickel right now.
It is such a closed circle that only the initiated know where the money goes.
I have no idea what the Catholic Service Appeal is, but I wouldn't give a penny. The Catechism says,

Quote:The fifth precept ("You shall help to provide for the needs of the Church") means that the faithful are obliged to assist with the material needs of the Church, each according to his own ability.

It says nothing about donating to your Parish or your Diocese. The only thing that is going to get to this nest of vipers, this coven of false shepherds, is to hit 'em in the pocketbook. 

Check out Regina Magazine's Safe Spaces for Catholic Money for ideas of where to donate that are actually Catholic and the Bishops can't get their hands on it.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 2 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • karl, maldon
(08-12-2018, 03:08 PM)Markie Boy Wrote: We just got presented with this again at Mass today.  A few weeks ago our priest said he needed us to give, otherwise his hand shakes if he has to write that big check for the difference.

So - how is this an Appeal, if they just take the money if you don't donate it?

Does anyone know where this money goes?  I don't trust the Bishops enough to send them a nickel right now.
Peace.....we were asked for 2 collections today and hand distributed - given another envelope for missions next week.  I know people are giving less, and they are also not giving period - such as you are thinking.  The visiting priest today asked for the collection next week in an envelope provided by the diocese and even though the $ is headed for Africa, it will go into a parish envelope marked Kenya Mission with our cheque made out to our parish name, and headed off to our diocese for counting and then it will be on its way to Africa.  I can see that the procedure is such to make it possible for tax receipts for the donation but it did go through my mind to simply write a cheque to the visiting priest or his mission organization/diocese in Africa.   Really, I think they are starting to feel the crunch!  Members are down in this parish and in the summer even lower attendance while members are in advanced years.  I only attend this parish when I am not in a position to attend the Tridentine Mass at a distance.  This parish I am speaking of, is very close and walking distance, so it is the convenient option but not where my heart is.  They are into guitars and pianos.....hmmmmm!

God bless, angeltime Heart
Let his hand shake.

You are obliged to support the Church to the extent you can. This means supporting the place where you receive the Sacraments, and other Catholic charities as you can and as is prudent.

The extraneous affairs and expenses which do not assist the Church to provide her faithful the things which they need for the spiritual life are in no way obligatory by that precept.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MagisterMusicae's post:
  • angeltime
We also have a bishop's annual appeal.  Each parish in the diocese is assessed a certain amount per family registered.  I also don't want to give the bishops any money until they clean up themselves, the clergy, and the seminaries.  However, ours is a good parish and I don't want our parish being hurt because the parishioners on principle don't want to give money to the diocese.  Any lawyers on the forum?  Is there any legal recourse to tell the diocese I am intentionally not donating and you can't assess the parish a fee for my family?
I'm not a lawyer, but probably not. Under Canon Law, the Bishop is essentially an absolute dictator, and under civil law, AFAIK in every jurisdiction in the US, the Bishop actually owns the Parish.

There are ways to donate just to your Parish, however. Pool with other like minded people and pay one or more of the utilities, donate labour for projects, etc. Of course, many of these methods will require the Pastor's knowledge that you will not contribute to the Diocese and his cooperation, which will get him in trouble with the Chancery.

Plus, every penny you contribute to the parish through such a roundabout way just frees up money from other people to feed the gaping maw of the Diocese's 'social justice' programs. 

As far as I can see, the only way to make a point is to cut them off! Contribute to solid, orthodox charities, Orders and Institutes and not to any Parish or Diocesan structures.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

(08-12-2018, 08:01 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: I'm not a lawyer, but probably not. Under Canon Law, the Bishop is essentially an absolute dictator, and under civil law, AFAIK in every jurisdiction in the US, the Bishop actually owns the Parish.

There are ways to donate just to your Parish, however. Pool with other like minded people and pay one or more of the utilities, donate labour for projects, etc. Of course, many of these methods will require the Pastor's knowledge that you will not contribute to the Diocese and his cooperation, which will get him in trouble with the Chancery.

Plus, every penny you contribute to the parish through such a roundabout way just frees up money from other people to feed the gaping maw of the Diocese's 'social justice' programs. 

As far as I can see, the only way to make a point is to cut them off! Contribute to solid, orthodox charities, Orders and Institutes and not to any Parish or Diocesan structures.
Peace.....Regarding "absolute dictator" I don't think that applies to donations given or not to Bishop's special requests/collections.  Of course the pastor is obedient to the Bishop, but this still does not force people to give what they either don't have or don't want to.  There was a lawyer's comment on Church Militant, and one does not have to support Bishops' collections but has a responsibility to contribute to their parish.  He went on to say one can donate directly to the pastor in his name, or directly to the cause (new floor, roof, sinks, flowers, candles etc) by writing the specific cause on the envelope and if one is willing not to receive a tax receipt, then write it on a plain envelope.   One man emailed in and said he has decided to give a saved amount once a year - the 52nd year at Christmas, because the Bishop does not get a % of this whereas every Sunday he takes a % of the collection.  I have a friend who gives $2.00 (tooney) to NO Parish, and donates much higher to her favorite Trad Catholic organization.  

Hope this helps!  God bless, angeltime Heart
(08-12-2018, 08:34 PM)angeltime Wrote:
(08-12-2018, 08:01 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: I'm not a lawyer, but probably not. Under Canon Law, the Bishop is essentially an absolute dictator, and under civil law, AFAIK in every jurisdiction in the US, the Bishop actually owns the Parish.

Peace.....Regarding "absolute dictator" I don't think that applies to donations given or not to Bishop's special requests/collections.  Of course the pastor is obedient to the Bishop, but this still does not force people to give what they either don't have or don't want to.  There was a lawyer's comment on Church Militant, and one does not have to support Bishops' collections but has a responsibility to contribute to their parish.  He went on to say one can donate directly to the pastor in his name, or directly to the cause (new floor, roof, sinks, flowers, candles etc) by writing the specific cause on the envelope and if one is willing not to receive a tax receipt, then write it on a plain envelope.   One man emailed in and said he has decided to give a saved amount once a year - the 52nd year at Christmas, because the Bishop does not get a % of this whereas every Sunday he takes a % of the collection.  I have a friend who gives $2.00 (tooney) to NO Parish, and donates much higher to her favorite Trad Catholic organization.  

In every Diocese I've ever known, each Parish is assessed  a certain dollar amount for the 'Bishop's Appeal', 'Diocesan Appeal', or whatever it's called. If that amount is not made up out of the special collection, the rest comes out of the Parish general fund. Ergo, not contributing to it in no way changes the fact that your Parish will contribute the assessed amount. If a lot of people refuse to contribute, it will just come out of their regular Sunday donations to the Parish. The only way to stop it is not one penny more to any Parish or Diocese until real, substantive, effective changes are made.

***ETA*** And, as I pointed out, donating to a specific cause or project (new roof, flowers, etc.) just frees up other money to send to the Diocese.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • maldon
(08-12-2018, 08:44 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(08-12-2018, 08:34 PM)angeltime Wrote:

In every Diocese I've ever known, each Parish is assessed  a certain dollar amount for the 'Bishop's Appeal', 'Diocesan Appeal', or whatever it's called. If that amount is not made up out of the special collection, the rest comes out of the Parish general fund. Ergo, not contributing to it in no way changes the fact that your Parish will contribute the assessed amount. If a lot of people refuse to contribute, it will just come out of their regular Sunday donations to the Parish. The only way to stop it is not one penny more to any Parish or Diocese until real, substantive, effective changes are made.

***ETA*** And, as I pointed out, donating to a specific cause or project (new roof, flowers, etc.) just frees up other money to send to the Diocese.
Peace.....I am not aware of this Diocesan Appeal in Ontario but perhaps we are calling it something else and I just don't know the procedure.  What is ***ETA***?  I see now what you mean, if we donate to a specific cause or project, the Bishop will simply take it from elsewhere in the parish funds.  Correct?  So, this is why the absolute cut-off.....God bless, angeltime Heart