What happens when you don’t get absolution?
i don't think
If you don't have a firm resolution to avoid the occasion of sin, why would you bother going to confession?
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • gospel654
(08-18-2018, 05:57 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: If you don't 
i don't think
(08-18-2018, 05:55 PM)Ptochos Wrote: I’m not sure I have a firm resolution to abstain from the occasions of sin. So if I go to Confession and tell the priest that and he doesn’t absolve me, then what happens?

I'm not trying to be flippant, Ptochos, but if the priest doesn't absolve you, then I'm thinking you would simply leave the confessional* and return when you DO have a firm resolution to abstain from the sin. At that point, presumably, the priest would absolve you. 

*: I'm guessing the priest would probably offer to pray with you before you left. What else would he do, call down the wrath of God because you were not ready to make a proper confession? (The priest is not going to do anything so dreadful).
[-] The following 1 user Likes gospel654's post:
  • jovan66102
(08-18-2018, 06:32 PM)Ptochos Wrote:
(08-18-2018, 05:57 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: If you don't have a firm resolution to avoid the occasion of sin, why would you bother going to confession?

To ask advice whether I have that resolution. Seems like a simple question. My question is if my Comfessor doesn’t believe I have a firm resolution then what happens? Do I need to go back to him when I think I have the needed resolution? Does he tell me what I need to do?
I Just want an idea of what to expect. 
My only experience with this is confessing and saying I wasn’t sure about my resolution and the priest told me that people didn’t come to Confession unless they in fact wanted to stop sinning and h told me not to doubt my absolution. This priest has moved from a parish to be director of vocation for the diocese. So I can’t ask him. He was my regular Confessr

Without a firm purpose of amendment it’s not a valid confession.  You’re basically going in and saying “forgive me even though I’m not truly sorry”.  God judges the heart.  You’d be abusing the Sacrament.

By all means, if you’ve sinned: confess.  But actually be contrite.  Your soul is at stake here.
[-] The following 3 users Like FultonFan's post:
  • angeltime, gospel654, jovan66102
Are you willing to make a reasonable effort to at least try to not put yourself in a situation where you easily fall?

If yes, you have a firm purpose of amendment.

If no, perhaps consider why you have no interest in avoiding sin? What's so attractive about the sin that you're willing to suffer eternally in Hell for it?

If you just worry about easily falling back and often do, well that's different. You can still be sorry and willing to try, yet fall relatively soon after the confession. That doesn't necessarily mean you don't have a firm resolve.

Lack of a firm resolve = "I'm not very interest in making any effort to avoid the sin."

A confessor will try to determine if you have a firm resolution, but it's not like you can just leave him to judge that for you. You need to go in with it, and if he thinks you're lacking it, then he can ask questions and trying to coax you into a situation where you clearly have it.
(08-18-2018, 05:55 PM)Ptochos Wrote: I’m not sure I have a firm resolution to abstain from the occasions of sin. So if I go to Confession and tell the priest that and he doesn’t absolve me, then what happens?

Ptochos, could it be that you are just scrupulous?  Idk why you wouldn't want to make a resolution not to sin, but let me offer some of my two cents.

Everyone does their best to not commit the sin again, but sometimes a sin can be so great, we feel despair and therefore feel that we don't have a sufficient will to refrain from the sin.  Sins of the flesh can be so powerful that we feel internally as though "What's the point of making a firm resolution, or even Confession, it's just going to happen again."  That is the wrong thinking.

Instead try to accept a healthy reality of the situation.  "Ok, I have this sin that I really struggle with, I feel helpless in trying to overcome it.  The temptations are too great and the desire is too strong.  But I'm going to go to the Sacraments in order to receive the Grace to overcome them.  I cannot do this on my own and so I will make an effort to go to Confession each time I mess up, even if it is every week, and I will pray on this, in the hopes that one day God will grant me sufficient Grace to finally overcome this sin."

If you find that a sin is just too desirable, or you don't see it as a sin.  Perhaps look towards the Catechism and read up on that sin and discover why it is detrimental to your soul.  If you find it desirable, again, go to the Sacraments and ask God to turn that lustful desire into holy anger towards that sin.
[-] The following 1 user Likes austenbosten's post:
  • Ptochos

Peace.....pray asking God to release you from this sin by His grace and giving you the strength to overcome.  The Act of Contrition is what it is - "I am sorry" - then we get  up and start again - but we don't stop praying (rosary) about it while waiting for the grace to overcome and put you in a better situation. Get involved more with spiritual activities and also surround yourself with holy pictures, statues, holy water etc.  Bless yourself everyday.  You are in our prayers!  God bless, angeltime :heart:

If you don't have the intention to at least try to stay away from the occasions of sin then why go to confession? Firm purpose of amendment is a part of the sorrow and contrition for sin. If you are not sorry you are wasting your time going to confession.
(08-19-2018, 06:19 AM)austenbosten Wrote:
(08-18-2018, 05:55 PM)Ptochos Wrote: I’m not sure 
i don't think