Collections - Easter and Christmas
Peace.....I have been hearing that Parish Collections at Easter and Christmas are not taken by the Bishop (his %) and I have just now heard, that this only applies to USA not Canada and perhaps just individual dioceses since Bishops make their own decisions.  Does anyone know if this applies in Canada?  I thought too, it was mentioned in Canon Law, so it would be more or less universal how these particular collections were handled in terms of Bishops and their % taken.  Tks and God bless, angeltime :heart:
(08-20-2018, 04:00 PM)angeltime Wrote: I thought too, it was mentioned in Canon Law, so it would be more or less universal how these particular collections were handled in terms of Bishops and their % taken.  Tks and God bless, angeltime :heart:

I don't know of anything in Canon Law that mentions how collections/donations are handled. I don't think there's even a Canon mandating giving to the Church. That's a matter of the Catechism and the Precepts of the Church.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
(08-20-2018, 05:09 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(08-20-2018, 04:00 PM)angeltime Wrote: I thought too, it was mentioned in Canon Law, so it would be more or less universal how these particular collections were handled in terms of Bishops and their % taken.  Tks and God bless, angeltime :heart:

I don't know of anything in Canon Law that mentions how collections/donations are handled. I don't think there's even a Canon mandating giving to the Church. That's a matter of the Catechism and the Precepts of the Church.
Peace.....ok tks - perhaps it was the Catechism then and I will check when I get a moment....
God bless, angeltime :heart:
(08-20-2018, 05:20 PM)angeltime Wrote: Peace.....ok tks - perhaps it was the Catechism then and I will check when I get a moment....

Good luck!  :D It doesn't strike me as something that would be a matter of official Church Teaching which is what the Catechism is about. I'm sure individual Bishops have made that a policy in their Dioceses. It's possible, I suppose, that the USCCB has made it official. However, the USCCB (actually, any National Bishops Conference) has no Canonical power over an individual Bishop in his Diocese, so it's actually pretty meaningless even if they have
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
(08-20-2018, 06:02 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(08-20-2018, 05:20 PM)angeltime Wrote: Peace.....ok tks - perhaps it was the Catechism then and I will check when I get a moment....

Good luck!  :D It doesn't strike me as something that would be a matter of official Church Teaching which is what the Catechism is about. I'm sure individual Bishops have made that a policy in their Dioceses. It's possible, I suppose, that the USCCB has made it official. However, the USCCB (actually, any National Bishops Conference) has no Canonical power over an individual Bishop in his Diocese, so it's actually pretty meaningless even if they have
Peace.....tks for your help - what I have read thus far in the Canon Law and Catechism that comes close to my question, it seems the Bishop in each diocese makes those decisions.  The reason I inquired, is because a friend of mine in Alberta said their Bishop still takes a % of the collection at Easter and Christmas and it is referred to as a tax??  Anyhow, I have never hear if this topic coming up in Ontario only in USA because of so much happening there.  There was the man who advised Church Mil. that he is saving his collections all year and giving on the 52nd week of the year (Christmas) because the Bishop doesn't take anything at that time.  Then a Canon Lawyer, reported that one is not obligated to give to the Bishop' special collections, only to the parish, and that is why is was suggested to put the collection in the priest's name mentioning the specific use for the $ or donate to a "safe place."  God bless, angeltime :heart: