Oneitis
Oneitis is basically thinking one woman is so perfect for you, that there's no way any other woman could possibly measure up, but she doesn't reciprocate your love. You proceed to become borderline obsessed with her and neglect searching for love with other women, just hoping it'll work out between you two. Think Charlie and the waitress from Always Sunny for an extreme example. Have any of you had to deal with similar feelings in the past, and how have you recovered from this brutal disease?
(08-26-2018, 04:36 PM)Emblemfan Wrote: Oneitis is basically thinking one woman is so perfect for you, that there's no way any other woman could possibly measure up, but she doesn't reciprocate your love. You proceed to become borderline obsessed with her and neglect searching for love with other women, just hoping it'll work out between you two. Think Charlie and the waitress from Always Sunny for an extreme example. Have any of you had to deal with similar feelings in the past, and how have you recovered from this brutal disease?

Focus on perfect love for God, forget this “oneitis” psychobabble.
If you want marriage, find a good faithful woman; the woman doesn’t need to be “perfect”, no one is perfect but God.  If you go to Heaven, you’ll realize how silly your “oneitis” has been when you see the infinitely perfect Beatific vision.
[-] The following 2 users Like FultonFan's post:
  • Emblemfan, jovan66102
No I have not. I have been very clear with my previous girlfriends and my now-wife that I do not believe that they are the only women that I could be with in my life, but that I have chosen them to be with (and in the case of my now-wife, will be until one of us dies).
"Punishment is justice for the unjust." Saint Augustine of Hippo
Yes I very intensely experienced this in high school (and little bit in college). A combination of the angst of youth, Death Cab For Cutie music, and a lack of ability to properly define love I think were the primary causes of this.
Ave Christus Rex!
Very much so, in High school. It went away simply by seeing that there are other women out there "plenty of fish in the sea etc" and I am now married to a woman I wouldn't trade for a thing.
I guarantee that "one" you refer to is little more than figment of your imagination. I think folks, men and women, apply their notion if the perfect person to an actual person when the actual person is not the perfect person. In essence, we fall in love with the idea of love and not what it really is. That being said, as the folks above have indicated God is the only "One." Heck, once we die marriage doesn't really mean squat anyway so who cares. We just need to strive to be faithful and let the cards fall where they may....
Local anti-feminist.....if you think women deserve special treatment without any accountability for their actions expect to hear from me!