Thoughts on teaching the Rosary in RE
So I teach 7/8 grade RE class.  I'm a convert/revert, so Rosary prayer was a hurdle for me.  I broke into it by praying just the first part - Apostles Creed, Our Father, 3 Hail Mary's, Glory Be, and a Mystery.

It was manageable, and I felt an impact in my life from it - I started to call it  the "Power Chain" for myself.

I have thought of teaching through this first part with my class this year, as it contains so much of the Faith when you really break it down:

The Apostles Creed is so Scriptural and the essentials of the faith and used to counter early heresy
the Our Father - it shows us how to live, think, and pray
Hail Mary is a great one to teach on the Communion of Saints
Glory Be reminds us of who He is
the Mysteries tell the story of Jesus

Teaching thru this I think will be great.  My question is this  - what do you think of opening the class by praying the "Power Chain" part of the Rosary I described?  I think it's powerful, and it fits in the time we have to work.

God Bless and thank you
for that age in the 7th and 8th grade , it may be a bit " too boring " for some children, the only way i know to explain it, is that the rosary is a form of meditation and prayer, that focuses on Jesus through Mary his blessed mother, and that the Mysteries are points to really dive deep into Jesus and see where He is in our lives and what He needs of us. An that even though the repetition of saying the Hail Mary over and over can at first appear to very combersome , I find what helps me is to not think of it , as all I am doing is saying one prayer over and over, but to make it a prayer for an issue in ones life or a concern in ones life. An to ask the blessed Mother to please hear our prayers and intercede for us to her Son so that through her and her Son and ultimately the Trinity that our prayers may be heard.

As for calling it a power chain, part of the Rosary as you are describing it, I don't find it to be a problem, a Rose after all by any other name is still a Rose.

As long as children come to understand that we are not putting Mary above Jesus or God, I think all is fine. The real trick, is to find children comfortable enough to embrace prayer on their own after being shown what it means to us and others and how powerful it can be when we are being honest in our prayers and it is pleasing to God. Trying to get children to understand the importance of having faith, the mass an daily prayer to be apart of their life is hard , especially when competing against other eye catching forms that are just for entertaining. But to get them to at least consider spending a few minutes in the morning or at night before they go to sleep, or while just bored in school, to use those brief moments , even for a short prayer means so much and help builds and strengthen this early foundation in their lives.
(08-29-2018, 10:33 AM)Markie Boy Wrote: So I teach 7/8 grade RE class.  I'm a convert/revert, so Rosary prayer was a hurdle for me.  I broke into it by praying just the first part - Apostles Creed, Our Father, 3 Hail Mary's, Glory Be, and a Mystery.

It was manageable, and I felt an impact in my life from it - I started to call it  the "Power Chain" for myself.

I have thought of teaching through this first part with my class this year, as it contains so much of the Faith when you really break it down:

The Apostles Creed is so Scriptural and the essentials of the faith and used to counter early heresy
the Our Father - it shows us how to live, think, and pray
Hail Mary is a great one to teach on the Communion of Saints
Glory Be reminds us of who He is
the Mysteries tell the story of Jesus

Teaching thru this I think will be great.  My question is this  - what do you think of opening the class by praying the "Power Chain" part of the Rosary I described?  I think it's powerful, and it fits in the time we have to work.

God Bless and thank you
Peace.....I will just explain how it is done here in my diocese and you can use ideas or not.....the program here is called Rosary Apostolate.  Leaders are recruited to go into schools and not only make the rosary with the children, but teach them how to pray it.  Leaders before being accepted, are screened with a criminal check and then after being accepted, they continue with sessions which are like formation - this is to ensure all are on the same page - and not going off on a tangent teaching and praying as THEY like, but what the program states.  With smaller children (which I did this) we only taught them how to pray on one decade - not all the decades as it is really too much for them.  Older children can take on more.  There are also large picture cards you can purchase to display showing the mysteries and help one in explaining to children.  

The children in our schools have taken this on very lovingly and willingly and are also teaching their parents who are now having the family rosary at home!  Children I am told have come back to class, telling great stories about praying the rosary....

Hope this helps in some way - God bless you for your work for the Lord and Bl Mother!  angeltime :heart:
[-] The following 1 user Likes angeltime's post:
  • originalscreenname
There are some very good instructional videos which can be watched while following along with the rosary.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sacred Heart lover's post:
  • originalscreenname
I think the most important thing you can do is to teach the children to pray. When they get older they will very likely get into trouble and have problems. What will they do and who will they go to? Learning to pray and building a relation with God is the most important thing that anybody will ever learn.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Poche's post:
  • angeltime