The Secular World vs. the Church
I know the church seperates between venial and mortal sins, and I even have a problem with that in so much as we are constantly taught how forgiving God is, that God judges us, I don't see the need to split up sin into categories , because how is humanity to exactly know which sin offends God more than another, and even more it seems to me that any offense against God in the form of a sin, is just as painful on either side of the labeling. Then when we have labels of one being worse than the other it can lead to things like scruples or being complacent to venial sins.

I find nothing wrong with just saying, here is everything we consider to be a sin. and leave it at that, an then continue on teaching that God will forgive us through penance and reconciliation.
(08-31-2018, 04:50 PM)originalscreenname Wrote: I know the church seperates between venial and mortal sins, and I even have a problem with that in so much as we are constantly taught how forgiving God is, that God judges us, I don't see the need to split up sin into categories , because how is humanity to exactly know which sin offends God more than another, and even more it seems to me that any offense against God in the form of a sin, is just as painful on either side of the labeling. Then when we have labels of one being worse than the other it can lead to things like scruples or being complacent to venial sins.

I find nothing wrong with just saying, here is everything we consider to be a sin. and leave it at that, an then continue on teaching that God will forgive us through penance and reconciliation.
Peace.....well, not to judge, but the 10 Commandments made it pretty clear.  Agree about the prayer, penance and fasting - for reconciliation.  God bless, angeltime :heart:
(08-31-2018, 04:50 PM)originalscreenname Wrote: I know the church seperates between venial and mortal sins, and I even have a problem with that in so much as we are constantly taught how forgiving God is, that God judges us, I don't see the need to split up sin into categories , because how is humanity to exactly know which sin offends God more than another, and even more it seems to me that any offense against God in the form of a sin, is just as painful on either side of the labeling. Then when we have labels of one being worse than the other it can lead to things like scruples or being complacent to venial sins.

Well, you can take up with the Church the matter of categorizing sins, but to consider the acts that are the matter of the present crisis as just "sins" and leaving it at that is akin to treating acne and cancer as the same because both are "diseases." One doesn't treat acne with chemo, and one doesn't treat homosexual ephebophilia by casting aspersions on all priests as "pedophiles" and slamming celibacy. The problem, overwhelmingly, is gay priests, not "priests" and not "celibacy." But to listen to the media, the problem is that not marrying turns otherwise normal, straight guys into kiddy-diddlers, and allowing them to marry would cure them. Or maybe ordaining women is the answer. Right? But all that's bullshit. ("This is for all the KIDS," said the man who physically attacked an innocent priest). And, meanwhile, the gay priests do their thang, act as gatekeepers in our seminaries, universities, RCIA classes, etc., run synods, and nothing will ever change as they treat the Church like their own personal gay bar -- one in which they get to drink for free because everyday pew-sitters will pay their tab.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 1 user Likes VoxClamantis's post:
  • jovan66102
(08-31-2018, 05:03 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote:

Well, you can take up with the Church the matter of categorizing sins, but to consider the acts that are the matter of the present crisis as just "sins" and leaving it at that is akin to treating acne and cancer as the same because both are "diseases." One doesn't treat acne with chemo, and one doesn't treat homosexual ephebophilia by casting aspersions on all priests as "pedophiles" and slamming celibacy. The problem, overwhelmingly, is gay priests, not "priests" and not "celibacy." But to listen to the media, the problem is that not marrying turns otherwise normal, straight guys into kiddy-diddlers, and allowing them to marry would cure them. Or maybe ordaining women is the answer. Right? But all that's bullshit. ("This is for all the KIDS," said the man who physically attacked an innocent priest). And, meanwhile, the gay priests do their thang, act as gatekeepers in our seminaries, universities, RCIA classes, etc., run synods, and nothing will ever change as they treat the Church like their own personal gay bar -- one in which they get to drink for free because everyday pew-sitters will pay their tab.

yeah i remember seeing that nut bag screaming for the kids.  look i get where you are at, i am not trying to persuade you any thing, and i understand what you mean with the labeling of sins as well, i hope i didnt misconstrue anything i said as leaning in favor for homosexual priests, because i am not, i figured that is rather obvious but incase anyone is confused there ya go.

I deff never buy what the media is selling,  i dont think though we will see an end to homosexuals being in the 
clergy or religious, i mean how are they to stop that ? what kind of test does one give to find out if one is a homosexul and then say, sorry you cant be a priest. And then what happens when a person who isn't fully homosexual, but has some kind of mental disorder, does this, or what happens when the heterosexual priest decides to have a relationship on the side with a single woman, which does happen but is never reported. and is as covered up as this scandal. An the couple having a child from the relationship.

I don't think the two of us are too far off in how we are viewing things, and i dont really think it matters if we are or not. because the issue seems to be to still be accountability and transparency.
(08-31-2018, 07:08 PM)originalscreenname Wrote: what kind of test does one give to find out if one is a homosexul and then say, sorry you cant be a priest. And then what happens when a person who isn't fully homosexual, but has some kind of mental disorder, does this, or what happens when the heterosexual priest decides to have a relationship on the side with a single woman, which does happen but is never reported. and is as covered up as this scandal. An the couple having a child from the relationship.

Ask potential priests if they're gay, find out about any dating history, talk to their family and friends, etc. If they pass that and are orthodox and mature, admit them into the seminary -- and watch them. Any shenanigans, give them the boot. What else can one do? No system will be perfect, but if it's not made clear that homosexuals need not apply to seminary, nothing will get better.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s