How much success is due to walking around with important looking paper in your hands?
At your job most specifically.  If you walk around with important looking documentation in your hands, roughly how much overall credibility have you achieved?  30%?  60%?  80%?
[-] The following 1 user Likes FultonFan's post:
  • mpk1987
Photo 

I have never heard of such a metric, however if you do walk around with a sheet of paper in your hand make sure it has the correct cover sheet! Up the irons! Laughing Fool
"There are in truth three states of the converted: the beginning,  the middle and the perfection. In the beginning, they experience the charms of sweetness; in the middle, the contests of temptation; and in the end, the fullness of perfection."
-- Pope St. Gregory

Cor Jesu Eucharistic Miserere Nobis 

Salus animarum suprema lex
[-] The following 1 user Likes CaptCrunch73's post:
  • mpk1987
(09-14-2018, 01:10 PM)FultonFan Wrote: At your job most specifically.  If you walk around with important looking documentation in your hands, roughly how much overall credibility have you achieved?  30%?  60%?  80%?

It depends on where you're going with it! If you're headed to the fax machine, you've got roughly 5% credibility and 95% flunkie-ness. If you're giving a briefing, it's probably more like 70% credibility. Tack on more percentage points if the documentation's being conveyed in a fancy briefcase. And if you're wearing a suit.

source: am office flunkie, dohoho
Reminds me of something I read years ago. For the life of me, I can't remember author or title, but it was set in WWII. The protagonist was an enlisted man in the US Army, a PFC or a corporal, if memory serves. Whilst everyone else in his unit was wearing their dungaree fatigues doing grunt work, he'd put on his Class Bs, and walk around carrying a clipboard with papers on it. Everyone, officers and enlisted ranks, assumed he was doing something 'important' for 'someone important'.

A classic explanation of goldbricking!
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • mpk1987
(09-14-2018, 03:05 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Reminds me of something I read years ago. For the life of me, I can't remember author or title, but it was set in WWII. The protagonist was an enlisted man in the US Army, a PFC or a corporal, if memory serves. Whilst everyone else in his unit was wearing their dungaree fatigues doing grunt work, he'd put on his Class Bs, and walk around carrying a clipboard with papers on it. Everyone, officers and enlisted ranks, assumed he was doing something 'important' for 'someone important'.

A classic explanation of goldbricking!

Actually, having been an NCO in the Air Force and a Commissioned Officer in the Army, I can attest that this particular technique works VERY well! I have used it often and effectively during my time in the military and, I might add, in ROTC, where it worked equally as well.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out

A democracy which makes or even effectively prepares for modern, scientific war must necessarily cease to be democratic. No country can be really well prepared for modern war unless it is governed by a tyrant, at the head of a highly trained and perfectly obedient bureaucracy
Huxley

The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything  
Einstein

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain