Theology of Reparation
Hi, long time no post!  I have a question for the fish tank:

What resources can you point me to in order to help me better understand the theology behind acts of reparation?  This isn't something I received good formation on during my Novus Ordo days.

I confess that I've said the Morning Offering for years, but would secretly cringe at the thought of spending my hard-earned penances making up for other people's sins.  I'm familiar with Colossians 1:24 but still don't entirely understand it.

What changed is kind of a long story.  My trad parish had a priest that taught us about discursive mediation and the beginning stages of contemplative prayer.  After doing this faithfully for about 2 years, changing the subject of my mediation once a month or so, I happened to be meditating on the crown of thorns. I get a lot of headaches from my loud children, so I thought this would be a good way to help me offer it up instead of losing my temper.  Then the big Church scandals broke, and I suddenly realized during prayer how utterly humiliating this is for Our Lord and what a complete mockery these predators have made of Christ and His priesthood.  I felt a desire well up inside me to console Him in his sufferings.  So I totally get it now on an intuitive level by the grace of God, but I still need help explaining it on an intellectual level.  Thanks!
Remember, O Christian soul, that thou hast this day, and every day of thy life: God to glorify- Jesus to imitate- The Angels and Saints to invoke- A soul to save- A body to mortify- Sins to expiate- Virtues to acquire- Hell to avoid- Heaven to gain- Eternity to prepare for- Time to profit by- Neighbors to edify- The world to despise- Devils to combat- Passions to subdue- Death perhaps to suffer- Judgment to undergo.
SO... now that Christ is in Heaven, with God/ The Trinity, Heaven, a place where there is no sorrow or suffering, we are supposed to believe that God, The Trinity, Jesus, through other peoples actions and sins, at least in regards to the Church, that puts The Trinity, Jesus, into a state of suffering ? More over, we are to believe that God/ Trinity/ Jesus, can't repair or punish those responsible on His own , and then there is this separation , when " The Church " is at fault, now everyone who is apart of " The Church " we all have to participate in guilt of other peoples crimes and sins in " The Church " because we are all one family. BUT outside of The Church, we are not responsible for say the crimes of other rapists, criminals, terrorists, etc. Why is God and The Church all of a sudden so fragile and weak that they can't fix a problem and need human reparations as weak as humanity is. Freed from sin and death, yet born into original sin... and then lets compound it all with now having to take the blame for something we didn't do. Pretty sure there is some where in the bible, some reference of Jesus teaching, to some degree, that the sins of ones parents are not the sins of the children. pretty sure that reflects on a societal and religious level as well. Pretty interesting how The Church likes to share the blame so willy nilly. But when your average lay person is suffering in poverty, and can't be approved for help from catholic charities, or get help from the church to pay bills, get out of debt, etc, all of a sudden, no help is to be found. no sharing at that point.

An yet the hypocrisy is missed. the song then turns ,oh no no no you misunderstand you poor thing the devil has tricked you. lets sing and dance and talk in tongues that will fix it.

sure.

So God can use evil to influence people to repent and etc, but supposedly, God wouldn't let evil run loose in the Church a lil to teach a lesson to a broken system.

God is beyond pain and suffering and humiliation now, all that is left, is the slow to anger part. Maybe God is just ticked off. An no one wants to fathom that or consider how to fix a broken system; let alone take responsibility for their actions.

I'll play ball to a degree, a reparations mass, for healing and etc, fine, bout as far as I am going in this regard, no skin off my back there. anything further than that i call bs and wont be apart of. Now if we are allowed to use our free will, and one chooses to go out of their way to endure some pain and suffering to some how benefit those who have been harmed, fine by me, just don't expect or try to coherse me into it. Want to take on some misery to help those suffering in purgatory, knock yourself out, all for that, all for helping anyone who wants to help anyone in purgatory long as it isn't mandatory. I won't lift a finger more to help any clergy or anyone associated in the crimes that have been committed and they are on their own on reparations for themselves. Good luck on finding any logical scriptural explanation on pinning crimes and sins on others.
If you haven't already done so, read True Devotion to Mary. In St Louis-Marie's Prayer of Consecration, we say, 

Quote:I deliver and consecrate to thee as Thy slave, my body and soul, my goods, both interior and exterior, and even the value of all my good actions, past present and future; leaving to you the entire and full right of disposing of me, and of all that belongs to me, without exception, according to Thy good pleasure to the greatest glory of God, in time and in eternity.
You can read about it here, on the FE Website.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

(09-17-2018, 12:24 AM)originalscreenname Wrote: SO... now that Christ is in Heaven, with God/ The Trinity, Heaven, a place where there is no sorrow or suffering, we are supposed to believe that God, The Trinity, Jesus,  through other peoples actions and sins,  at least in regards to the Church, that puts The Trinity, Jesus, into a state of suffering ? More over, we are to believe that God/ Trinity/ Jesus, can't repair or punish those responsible on His own , and then there is this separation , when " The Church " is at fault, now everyone who is apart of " The Church " we all have to participate in guilt of other peoples crimes and sins in " The Church " because we are all one family.  BUT outside of The Church, we are not responsible for say the crimes of other rapists, criminals, terrorists, etc.   Why is God and  The Church all of a sudden so fragile and weak that they can't fix a problem and need human reparations as weak as humanity is. Freed from sin and death, yet born into original sin... and then lets compound it all with now having to take the blame for something we didn't do.  Pretty sure there is some where in the bible, some reference of Jesus teaching, to some degree, that the sins of ones parents are not the sins of the children. pretty sure that reflects on a societal and religious level as well.  Pretty interesting how The Church likes to share the blame so willy nilly. But when your average lay person is suffering in poverty, and can't be approved for help from catholic charities, or get help from the church to pay bills, get out of debt, etc, all of a sudden, no help is to be found. no sharing at that point.

An yet the hypocrisy is missed.  the song then turns ,oh no no no you misunderstand you poor thing the devil has tricked you. lets sing and dance and talk in tongues that will fix it.

sure.

So God can use evil to influence people to repent and etc, but supposedly, God wouldn't let evil run loose in the Church a lil to teach a lesson to a broken system.

God is beyond pain and suffering and humiliation now,  all that is left, is the slow to anger part.  Maybe God is just ticked off. An no one wants to fathom that or consider how to fix a broken system; let alone take responsibility for their actions.

I'll play ball to a degree, a reparations mass, for healing and etc, fine, bout as far as I am going in this regard, no skin off my back there. anything further than that i call bs and wont be apart of.  Now if we are allowed to use our free will, and one chooses to go out of their way to endure some pain and suffering to some how benefit those who have been harmed, fine by me, just don't expect or try to coherse me into it.  Want to take on some misery to help those suffering in purgatory, knock yourself out, all for that, all for helping anyone  who wants to help anyone in purgatory long as it isn't mandatory. I won't lift a finger more to help any clergy or anyone associated in the crimes that have been committed and they are on their own on reparations for themselves. Good luck on finding any logical scriptural explanation on pinning crimes and sins on others.

Your righteous anger is justified.

And yet, do you really want any soul to go to Hell?

Do you want me to go to Hell?

Because I deserve Hell.

I fell asleep when He needed me to pray.

I have taken the whip and whipped our dear beloved Lord and Savior.

I have placed the crown of thorns upon His head.

I have taken the nail and placed it squarely upon His palm and beaten it with a hammer into His flesh.

I have stood by unperturbed by His crucifixion because it was such an inconvenience to my particular desires of the moment.

I deserve any punishment and penance meted out upon me and am most undeserving of any mercy He bestows upon me.

I am capable of every single sin these rogue members of the hierarchy have committed.  

I am weak and feeble.

I can cave to peer pressure or abuse or blackmail.

I am not entitled to all the graces of sacrament or relationship or privilege that He has bestowed upon me.

The fact that my soul is in a state of grace is a clear miracle of God's infinite mercy!

I unite all of my sufferings to those of Christ for my sins and the sins of the whole world.

So like St. Maria Goretti, I too say that I want their souls with us in Heaven (God make it so).

I want protection from harm for all victims, but I also hate Satan and all his works and want to snatch every soul possible from his grasp, especially the most heinous souls he has entangled in an impossible web of excreta!  

I want to snatch from the evil one the souls in danger of the fires of Hell Our Lady of Fatima asked us to pray for!

Virgo Potens, pray for us!

For further explanation and Scripture verses see:
https://catholicexchange.com/what-is-red...-suffering
Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist. 
The demons of the air together with the Antichrist will perform great wonders  
The Church will be in eclipse

-Our Lady of La Salette

Like Christ, His Bride the Church will undergo its own passion, burial, and resurrection.
-unknown traditional priest

Father Ripperger said that if we are detached from all things, aren't afraid to suffer, and we accept all suffering as the will of God for our sanctity, we have nothing to fear!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sacred Heart lover's post:
  • Catherine