Please help! Confession question?
Hello I went to confession this morning and was wondering if the absolution was valid?

I think the priest said "I absolve you from your sins the Father Son and Holy Spirit". He may have said "in the name of" but I don't think I heard it. The priest also wasn't from my country and so he had broken English and he probably meant to say it correctly.

I am wondering if the absolution was valid because I had to confess a few mortal sins so I don't know if I should receive Communion tomorrow at Mass. Would anyone be able to help? Thank you.
(09-22-2018, 05:07 PM)tradguy Wrote: Hello I went to confession this morning and was wondering if the absolution was valid?

I think the priest said "I absolve you from your sins the Father Son and Holy Spirit".  He may have said "in the name of" but I don't think I heard it.  The priest also wasn't from my country and so he had broken English and he probably meant to say it correctly.  

I am wondering if the absolution was valid because I had to confess a few mortal sins so I don't know if I should receive Communion tomorrow at Mass.  Would anyone be able to help?  Thank

"I absolve you" is certainly a valid formula.
[-] The following 2 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • jovan66102, Maryourhelp
In fact, IIRC, 'I absolve you' is the actual form of the Sacrament. The rest of the words should be said correctly, but if the Priest said, 'I absolve you', your sins are forgiven.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

It was valid. It sounds like the priest just didn’t enunciate very well.
Ok thank you guys for your help, very much appreciated!