Is Marijuana use mortal sin? I say YES... (and it's now legal in my province.)
Agreed. My biggest response to that would just be that drugs are different most things you just listed with the exception of tobacco which I admittedly don’t really have a response to. My experience with tobacco is different than most. I have never gotten a buzz from it before. So I’ve never viewed it to be used for that purpose.
Ave Christus Rex!
(10-17-2018, 12:29 PM)Some Guy Wrote: But it blows my mind Catholics would embrace such blantant indulging of the senses. If mortifying our senses helps develop virtue, I would confidently argue that recreational pot use helps develop vice.

This is where it's hard for me to understand where Catholics would have a problem with its use under any circumstances.  We're Catholics, not prohibitionist Baptists.  If we're going to be against even the moderate use of small amounts of marijuana, there is no logical reason we also shouldn't be opposed to the moderate use of any mind-altering substance.  So, as Vox mentioned, cigarettes and alcohol should be out, too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Melkite's post:
  • jovan66102
(10-17-2018, 12:50 PM)Some Guy Wrote: Agreed. My biggest response to that would just be that drugs are different most things you just listed with the exception of tobacco which I admittedly don’t really have a response to. My experience with tobacco is different than most. I have never gotten a buzz from it before. So I’ve never viewed it to be used for that purpose.

Smoke it from a hookah.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Melkite's post:
  • Some Guy
(10-17-2018, 12:52 PM)Melkite Wrote:
(10-17-2018, 12:29 PM)Some Guy Wrote: But it blows my mind Catholics would embrace such blantant indulging of the senses. If mortifying our senses helps develop virtue, I would confidently argue that recreational pot use helps develop vice.

This is where it's hard for me to understand where Catholics would have a problem with its use under any circumstances.  We're Catholics, not prohibitionist Baptists.  If we're going to be against even the moderate use of small amounts of marijuana, there is no logical reason we also shouldn't be opposed to the moderate use of any mind-altering substance.  So, as Vox mentioned, cigarettes and alcohol should be out, too.

I don’t disagree with your reasoning. I guess for tobacco the question I’d ask is, is it even possible to get excessively buzzed to the point of losing your ability to reason properly?

As for alcohol. I’m gonna be that guy that just says “yea but Jesus gave them wine to drink at Cana.”
Ave Christus Rex!
The culture surrounding marijuana is also overwhelmingly negative. In southern California it's especially obvious, particularly in the schools and certain beach areas. It promotes most or all of the same things that secular culture does, and mixes drug abuse into the equation. I had friends who started off innocently enough with pot, and eventually I had to talk them out of trying LSD. The slippery slope is very real, and loosening up the ol brain cells certainly doesn't help the process. Would it be different if it was legal and regulated? I can't say, but I have strong doubts about it. But things being as they are, I won't be getting behind the idea any time soon.
As an aside, Catholics have been enjoying alcohol and tobacco for generations. Not once have I heard of a monastery with a pot farm instead of a brewery. There's probably a deeper discussion about culture there but I'll leave it to the thread to decide if it's worth continuing.
(10-17-2018, 08:24 AM)FultonFan Wrote: I obviously don't partake of Marijuana.  But is it a mortal sin?

To me it would seem like a big YES.  I think it's pretty clear to say that most people want to smoke Marijuana to get high.  Period. 

I believe it's a very evil substance, that opens your imagination to demonic insanity. 

As of 12:01 AM this morning, people can buy Marijuana in my province.

This is a joke right ? Of course it isn't a  Mortal sin, and of course MOST people do not only take it to " get high , PERIOD "  People with chronicle deadly diseasies use it///// what kind of stone age back world thinking is this ? An fyi it is all over the news that Canada has legalized Marijuana, big deal.  Do you have any idea how many people go out an get drunk and drive, and not only kill themselves but others ? Go do some real reasearch on your own on real statistics before damning everyone to your way of thinking.

Oh not to mention parts of Europe that administer other illegal street narcotics, in a legal manner in a hospital setting to alieviate the pain and suffering of those who have uncurriable problems and are facing death.

But this is the mind set that started prohibition, and the mind set that stopped the legalization of Marijuana in the first place, was the smear and fear campaigns back in the day,  Until the government figured out they could make a profit and tax booze, but still to this day Marijuana is some evil thing from satan himself, where the reality is, the paper industry was threatened by it, the government didn't know how to control, manufactor, or tax it and the medical community couldnt decide how it could be properly be used.

Like anything in the world,  items are not inherently evil, it is how one decides to use, or misuse inanimate objects that thus makes something evil or wrong.

Grow up.
[-] The following 1 user Likes originalscreenname's post:
  • jovan66102
(10-17-2018, 01:18 PM)originalscreenname Wrote: This is a joke right ? Of course it isn't a  Mortal sin, and of course MOST people do not only take it to " get high , PERIOD "  People with chronicle deadly diseasies use it///// what kind of stone age back world thinking is this ? An fyi it is all over the news that Canada has legalized Marijuana, big deal.  Do you have any idea how many people go out an get drunk and drive, and not only kill themselves but others ? Go do some real reasearch on your own on real statistics before damning everyone to your way of thinking.

Oh not to mention parts of Europe that administer other illegal street narcotics, in a legal manner in a hospital setting to alieviate the pain and suffering of those who have uncurriable problems and are facing death.

But this is the mind set that started prohibition, and the mind set that stopped the legalization of Marijuana in the first place, was the smear and fear campaigns back in the day,  Until the government figured out they could make a profit and tax booze, but still to this day Marijuana is some evil thing from satan himself, where the reality is, the paper industry was threatened by it, the government didn't know how to control, manufactor, or tax it and the medical community couldnt decide how it could be properly be used.

Like anything in the world,  items are not inherently evil, it is how one decides to use, or misuse inanimate objects that thus makes something evil or wrong.

Grow up.

If I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 1 Corinthians 13:1.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bonaventure's post:
  • mpk1987
(10-17-2018, 01:18 PM)originalscreenname Wrote: Grow up.
Why are you here? Every thread I see you in you are disruptive and obnoxious. From some of your recent posts it doesn't at all seem that you're Catholic. Are you a professional troll sent to destroy us?
[-] The following 5 users Like friendly.neighborhood.papist's post:
  • austenbosten, Bonaventure, For Petes Sake, jovan66102, mpk1987
(10-17-2018, 01:18 PM)originalscreenname Wrote:
(10-17-2018, 08:24 AM)FultonFan Wrote: I obviously don't partake of Marijuana.  But is it a mortal sin?

To me it would seem like a big YES.  I think it's pretty clear to say that most people want to smoke Marijuana to get high.  Period. 

I believe it's a very evil substance, that opens your imagination to demonic insanity. 

As of 12:01 AM this morning, people can buy Marijuana in my province.

This is a joke right ? Of course it isn't a  Mortal sin, and of course MOST people do not only take it to " get high , PERIOD "  People with chronicle deadly diseasies use it///// what kind of stone age back world thinking is this ? An fyi it is all over the news that Canada has legalized Marijuana, big deal.  Do you have any idea how many people go out an get drunk and drive, and not only kill themselves but others ? Go do some real reasearch on your own on real statistics before damning everyone to your way of thinking.

Grow up.

Calm down buddy.  Just calm down.