Is Marijuana use mortal sin? I say YES... (and it's now legal in my province.)
(10-17-2018, 01:36 PM)friendly.neighborhood.papist Wrote:  Are you a professional troll sent to destroy us?

I'm beginning think so. His only original 'contributions' always end with something snarky like, 'I won't be back to read the replies. Just cry over it yourselves'. And his sigline indicates he's not here for discussion, just trolling, 'It is cute if you think I am wrong. Even more so if you I think I really care about what you think.'
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
To the OP. I haven't used marijuana in years, and it was never, even in my younger and much wilder years, my 'drug of choice'. Just give me a beer! 

However, as Vox pointed out, there is no such thing as an 'evil' substance. To say that a substance that God created is 'evil' smacks of Manichaeism, a heresy. 

The first, and for decades, the only scientific study of marijuana was the India Hemp Drugs Commission Report, done by the British Raj in India. Its major conclusions,

Quote:It has been clearly established that the occasional use or hemp in moderate doses may be beneficial; but this use may be regarded as medicinal in character. It is rather to the popular and common use of the drugs that the Commission will now confine their attention. It is convenient to consider the effects separately as affecting the physical, mental, or moral nature.

In regard to the physical effects, the Commission have come to the conclusion that the moderate use of hemp drugs is practically attended by no evil results at all. 

In respect to the alleged mental effects of the drugs, the Commission have come to the conclusion that the moderate use of hemp drugs produces no injurious effects on the mind.

In regard to the moral effects of the drugs, the Commission are of opinion that their moderate use produces no moral injury whatever. There is no adequate ground for believing that it injuriously affects the character of the consumer.

Marijuana wasn't even illegal in the US until alcohol prohibition was repealed. The Department of Prohibition realised that when prohibition was repealed, they'd be out of work, so they started pushing for the outlawing of the most popular recreational drug. They succeeded, not only in the US, but around the world thanks to American influence.

For instance, under US 'influence' it was outlawed in India, despite the Hemp Commission Report. This virtually destroyed the economy of Nepal where it was not only legal, but a royal monopoly, since the major market for Nepalese hashish was India.

So what did outlawing it do? Well, it was about as successful as alcohol prohibition or the anti-gun laws in NYC, LA, and other Democrat controlled cities, in getting rid of the 'problem'. And just like both those examples, it was very successful in creating an illegal, untaxed black market with all the gangs, violence, and moral degradation that breeding contempt for the law causes.

I am no fan of Daddy's Little Boy, a/k/a Justin 'Bieber' Trudeau. I often say that he got elected for only two things, his surname and his hair, because there's obviously no grey matter under the hair, but I have to side with him on this question.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 2 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • friendly.neighborhood.papist, Some Guy
Interesting post, Jovan. I'll have to look at the history a bit more.
Very interesting indeed Jovan. I suppose it could just be my American-Conservative upbringing that I'm falling back on now that I don't touch drugs. But also all my pagan friends have a clear problem wasting excess time and money on the crap. But I roll my eyes when people waste excess time and money on tobacco and alcohol too. (lol Sorry Vox I am indeed a cigarettes hater, or at least the mass produced suckers.)

I suppose if we lived in a Catholic country with a more moral people I'd be more comfortable with light pot smoking. But I fail to care much about the cause when I know it will be almost exclusively abused.

Also just to be clear, I'm speaking strictly recreationally. The idea that any substance would be off limits for research to determine medical uses seems rather wonky to me.
Ave Christus Rex!
I think also, if you look at the paper industry back in the day, it was highly influential in getting pot banned.  When pot was banned, it included all hemp, even though not all hemp was a THC producer.  However, industrial hemp was competing with wood pulp for the making of paper (and other products) and I think the wood industry had a part to play in getting all hemp banned, which eradicated their biggest competitor.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bonaventure's post:
  • mpk1987, Some Guy
An excellent point, Bonaventure.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

FishEaters Group on MeWe
The biggest strike against Marijuana is that you can't not get high if you smoke it unless you've built up a tolerance. With alcohol you can have a drink, two, maybe even three or four depending on your tolerance and not get drunk, maybe a bit of a buzz, but not drunk to where your ability to make a good judgement is compromised. I've never smoked weed, so I have no idea if there's such thing as a light buzz, but I'd assume not. At the end of the day it comes down to the person's state of mind as far as I know. If one's state of mind is altered to the point that they can't make a proper judgement in regards to their actions then it must at least be sinful, whether it's mortal or venial I'll leave to the theologians.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612
(10-17-2018, 05:27 PM)GangGreen Wrote: The biggest strike against Marijuana is that you can't not get high if you smoke it unless you've built up a tolerance. With alcohol you can have a drink, two, maybe even three or four depending on your tolerance and not get drunk, maybe a bit of a buzz, but not drunk to where your ability to make a good judgement is compromised. I've never smoked weed, so I have no idea if there's such thing as a light buzz, but I'd assume not. At the end of the day it comes down to the person's state of mind as far as I know. If one's state of mind is altered to the point that they can't make a proper judgement in regards to their actions then it must at least be sinful, whether it's mortal or venial I'll leave to the theologians.

There absolutely is such a thing as a "light buzz," same as there's a difference between having a few glasses of wine and slamming a bottle of Jack Daniels.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 1 user Likes VoxClamantis's post:
  • jovan66102
(10-17-2018, 12:29 PM)Some Guy Wrote: ... I also know how innocent pot is relatively speaking. But it blows my mind Catholics would embrace such blantant indulging of the senses. If mortifying our senses helps develop virtue, I would confidently argue that recreational pot use helps develop vice.

Exactly!

Morality isn't a matter of relative gravity. As Vox, said, Catholic morality is about order, and not disorder. Pleasure is not only acceptable, but positively good if it is the result of order actions (e.g. the marital act by married people), and positively evil when it is disordered (e.g. the marital act by those not married).

Pleasure is morally neutral. Pleasure for pleasure sake (if this is the primary end) is always at least venial sinful, since always disordered. If it takes us completely away from our proper end, it is gravely sinful.

Personally, I would say that marijuana use is mortally sinful, but under certain circumstances could be only a venial sin, and in a few other rare cases where it might be no sin at all. For the average user or person, however, it would constitute a grave sin. 

I will explain my reasoning in a later post.
[-] The following 3 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • Florus, mpk1987, Some Guy
(10-17-2018, 05:36 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote: There absolutely is such a thing as a "light buzz," same as there's a difference between having a few glasses of wine and slamming a bottle of Jack Daniels.

Indeed! In fact, in my 'younger and much wilder days', one of the main reasons I didn't particularly like weed was that it took so much to even get a 'light buzz' (and I definitely didn't have any tolerance built up), unlike alcohol.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

FishEaters Group on MeWe