Is Marijuana use mortal sin? I say YES... (and it's now legal in my province.)
To the OP. I haven't used marijuana in years, and it was never, even in my younger and much wilder years, my 'drug of choice'. Just give me a beer! 

However, as Vox pointed out, there is no such thing as an 'evil' substance. To say that a substance that God created is 'evil' smacks of Manichaeism, a heresy. 

The first, and for decades, the only scientific study of marijuana was the India Hemp Drugs Commission Report, done by the British Raj in India. Its major conclusions,

Quote:It has been clearly established that the occasional use or hemp in moderate doses may be beneficial; but this use may be regarded as medicinal in character. It is rather to the popular and common use of the drugs that the Commission will now confine their attention. It is convenient to consider the effects separately as affecting the physical, mental, or moral nature.

In regard to the physical effects, the Commission have come to the conclusion that the moderate use of hemp drugs is practically attended by no evil results at all. 

In respect to the alleged mental effects of the drugs, the Commission have come to the conclusion that the moderate use of hemp drugs produces no injurious effects on the mind.

In regard to the moral effects of the drugs, the Commission are of opinion that their moderate use produces no moral injury whatever. There is no adequate ground for believing that it injuriously affects the character of the consumer.

Marijuana wasn't even illegal in the US until alcohol prohibition was repealed. The Department of Prohibition realised that when prohibition was repealed, they'd be out of work, so they started pushing for the outlawing of the most popular recreational drug. They succeeded, not only in the US, but around the world thanks to American influence.

For instance, under US 'influence' it was outlawed in India, despite the Hemp Commission Report. This virtually destroyed the economy of Nepal where it was not only legal, but a royal monopoly, since the major market for Nepalese hashish was India.

So what did outlawing it do? Well, it was about as successful as alcohol prohibition or the anti-gun laws in NYC, LA, and other Democrat controlled cities, in getting rid of the 'problem'. And just like both those examples, it was very successful in creating an illegal, untaxed black market with all the gangs, violence, and moral degradation that breeding contempt for the law causes.

I am no fan of Daddy's Little Boy, a/k/a Justin 'Bieber' Trudeau. I often say that he got elected for only two things, his surname and his hair, because there's obviously no grey matter under the hair, but I have to side with him on this question.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 2 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • friendly.neighborhood.papist, Some Guy

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Marijuana use mortal sin? I say YES... (and it's now legal in my province.) - by jovan66102 - 10-17-2018, 02:36 PM