Nervous Ordo Struggle
If it wasn't for the Eucharist.  I wouldn't go to Mass.

I'm sorry if that is such a sorry argument, but it is becoming increasingly difficult to attend Mass at my NO parish without feeling I'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown.  Lets start out with a few grievances:

The bland, same old sappy Dan Schutte (I struggled not to make a vulgar joke with that name) "hymns" that just go on and on about how freakin' special we are cause we got Faith....even John Calvin wasn't that presumptuous about his predestined justification as some of these lousy modernist "hymns" are.  Oh you've heard these gems: Gather us In, Table of Plenty, Sing to the Glory of the Lord (or something with "dancing in the fields."), Here I am....barf!

The army of Extra-Ordinary lay ministers of Mass.  The readings, the psalmists with their proud smirks and hand gestures, the unnecessary Communion ministers.

The Charismatics (again struggling to not make a derriere play on that name) with their hand gestures with the priest.

The NOISE...Oh my goodness the Noise is what does it!  This is what hurts the most...my soul, my heart, and my ears.  There is chatter (I'm not talking soft whispers, that I don't have an issue with) I'm talking conversations that you can hear across the aisle.  The older ladies (why is it always older ladies) who feel they have to be louder than everyone else and over-enunciate their words. The stadium speakers that ensure even Helen Keller can listen to what's going on.  The kids...ugh! the kids and the babies who scream and shout incessantly, and the parents who refuse to take them out.  Then after Mass, oh it's like a carnival....just loud loud loud.

The priests are good, but today we had a travelling one, who felt the need to treat the laity as if they were a bunch of toddlers, by interrupting the Mass at every part to explain in a condescending manner of what we are doing. I just wanted to stand up and shout "Say the Black Do the Red"

Ugghh!  I have nowhere to go.  Don't say ("Oh go to a TLM", the diocese has only 1 parish that does TLM and it's over an hour away.  No I cannot go because I already wear my car heavily by commuting 2 hours to work every day.)

Sorry had to vent.
I feel for you!
Then I feel so guilty for being that grumpy old lady.  At least my hair isn't blue, yet.
When I have the grandkids, we sit right up front so the kids can see - they choose the pew and surprisingly, not too noisy or distracting up there.  Maybe the priests don't know how noisy it is - the sound doesn't travel up to the altarHuh?? When I am by myself, I sit in back with the other grumpy people - you know, the folks who don't want to shake hands or hug during Mass, the folks who don't want to sing the ugly songs.
I remember when I was little there were old people who said their rosary during Mass. But that was before "Gather We Up" and "On Angels Wings".
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaryTN's post:
  • austenbosten
Austen, what town do you live in? Are there any Eastern Catholic parishes nearby?
I have resigned myself to the reality that I shall have no peace or joy should I continue to exist for eternity.  The question of deism or Christianity no longer matters.  I hope that Christianity is a farce, and that when I die, my consciousness will cease to exist.  In the meantime, I ask the Theotokos to be at my side at my judgement and ask her to intercede to, as I beg, Christ to have mercy on me and to allow me to cease to exist when I die.
I will say that today I went to the NO and the pastor had a Dominican come in to talk about Humanae Vitae. Let's just say that I was shocked to hear such things at a Novus Ordo Mass.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612

[Image: 2lq3.png]
(10-21-2018, 10:16 PM)GangGreen Wrote: I will say that today I went to the NO and the pastor had a Dominican come in to talk about Humanae Vitae. Let's just say that I was shocked to hear such things at a Novus Ordo Mass.

Move to the Diocese of Lincoln! Big Grin You'll get that, as well as sin, repentance, confession, Fatima, the Rosary, Eucharistic Adoration (today was 'pledge Sunday' for one or two Holy Hours of Adoration per week plus de Montfort's Total Consecration), and all that sort of good stuff at any NO Mass in the Diocese.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • austenbosten
It's a very scary thought, because this is a situation most of us could easily end up in. The last few times I've attended a Novus Ordo mass, it's been Ash Wednesday, and it was let's just get our ashes and get out of here.  It might be very controversial to say, but speaking strictly for myself, going to a NO mass with a corny social justice warrior priest, altar girls, eucharistic ministers with short gray hair wearing pants suits, the cheesiest hymns imagineable, hand holding during the consecration, etc, doesn't nourish my faith, it weakens it. Mass should never be something that you just want to get out of as soon as possible because it's making you sick, but that's exactly how I'd feel in most NO parishes.

I live in, thanks to acting Pope Francis and acting Cardinal Cupich, one of the world's most anti-Catholic dioceses, so I may be in the same boat before we know it. At least for now, I still have the Ukrainian Catholic option which I already make use of.
It's tough, to the say the least.  But if that's all you got around you, what else can you do?  Look at the bright side: At least you are aware of, and can articulate, the problems. 99% of Catholics simply can not.  A whole two generations of Catholics have now been cajoled by NO bishops, priests and nuns into thinking there is no alternative, and there isn't any going back.  This is false.  This website/forum is a testament to this falsity.  So, do what I do when attending a NO parish that behaves in the manner you describe; bite down hard on the bullet, take it for the team and do what you can do to make people aware that there is another way, even if it is just one person at a time.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bonaventure's post:
  • austenbosten, mpk1987
It always sucks when i see younger people at the NO who looked bored out of their minds and i think to myself that these people don't have any idea what Catholicism truly is and what was taken away from them 50 years ago. It's really sad. I can at least take some solace knowing that TLM exists and what Roman Catholic was for centuries upon centuries and having the hope of restoration some day. These younger people instead just think that this cheesy stuff is it.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612

[Image: 2lq3.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like GangGreen's post:
  • austenbosten, Bonaventure
(10-21-2018, 05:12 PM)MaryTN Wrote: I feel for you!
Then I feel so guilty for being that grumpy old lady.  At least my hair isn't blue, yet.
When I have the grandkids, we sit right up front so the kids can see - they choose the pew and surprisingly, not too noisy or distracting up there.  Maybe the priests don't know how noisy it is - the sound doesn't travel up to the altarHuh??   When I am by myself, I sit in back with the other grumpy people - you know, the folks who don't want to shake hands or hug during Mass, the folks who don't want to sing the ugly songs.
I remember when I was little there were old people who said their rosary during Mass. But that was before "Gather We Up" and "On Angels Wings".

I don't have a problem with grumpy old ladies. It's the loud ones who during every Mass will stand behind you and deafen you with their responses. Also the ladies and gents who treat the Nave like it is a Bingo Hall where they will chat with their friends, instead of praying. Then there is the coughers and those who bring their sickly kids into Mass and risk infecting everyone.

Honestly if there is anyone who is grumpy. It's me.

(10-21-2018, 05:15 PM)Melkite Wrote: Austen, what town do you live in? Are there any Eastern Catholic parishes nearby?

The nearest Ruthenian Catholic Church is about 1h 10mins away. So no go. The nearest Catholic parish is about 20 miles from me, but it's a parish that has no kneelers. Unfortunately because of the gay spirit of Vatican-Turd our diocese has shrank and we closed a parish 2 years ago in our county and combined the two churches left to form a consortium.

(10-22-2018, 09:02 AM)Eric F Wrote: It's a very scary thought, because this is a situation most of us could easily end up in. The last few times I've attended a Novus Ordo mass, it's been Ash Wednesday, and it was let's just get our ashes and get out of here.  It might be very controversial to say, but speaking strictly for myself, going to a NO mass with a corny social justice warrior priest, altar girls, eucharistic ministers with short gray hair wearing pants suits, the cheesiest hymns imagineable, hand holding during the consecration, etc, doesn't nourish my faith, it weakens it. Mass should never be something that you just want to get out of as soon as possible because it's making you sick, but that's exactly how I'd feel in most NO parishes.

I live in, thanks to acting Pope Francis and acting Cardinal Cupich, one of the world's most anti-Catholic dioceses, so I may be in the same boat before we know it. At least for now, I still have the Ukrainian Catholic option which I already make use of.

It's rough, I really struggle to not want to simply walk out as soon as I receive the Eucharist.

(10-22-2018, 11:01 AM)Bonaventure Wrote: It's tough, to the say the least.  But if that's all you got around you, what else can you do?  Look at the bright side: At least you are aware of, and can articulate, the problems. 99% of Catholics simply can not.  A whole two generations of Catholics have now been cajoled by NO bishops, priests and nuns into thinking there is no alternative, and there isn't any going back.  This is false.  This website/forum is a testament to this falsity.  So, do what I do when attending a NO parish that behaves in the manner you describe; bite down hard on the bullet, take it for the team and do what you can do to make people aware that there is another way, even if it is just one person at a time.

Yep I just bend over, grab my ankles, and grit my teeth. VaticanTurd...Oh how I will cherish the day your unholy documents are consigned to the fires of Hell!

(10-22-2018, 04:24 PM)GangGreen Wrote: It always sucks when i see younger people at the NO who looked bored out of their minds and i think to myself that these people don't have any idea what Catholicism truly is and what was taken away from them 50 years ago. It's really sad. I can at least take some solace knowing that TLM exists and what Roman Catholic was for centuries upon centuries and having the hope of restoration some day. These younger people instead just think that this cheesy stuff is it.

Yep, there is a special place in Hell for those who sought to make the Beautiful, Ugly and the Falsehood, truth.
(10-21-2018, 11:29 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(10-21-2018, 10:16 PM)GangGreen Wrote: I will say that today I went to the NO and the pastor had a Dominican come in to talk about Humanae Vitae. Let's just say that I was shocked to hear such things at a Novus Ordo Mass.

Move to the Diocese of Lincoln! Big Grin You'll get that, as well as sin, repentance, confession, Fatima, the Rosary, Eucharistic Adoration (today was 'pledge Sunday' for one or two Holy Hours of Adoration per week plus de Montfort's Total Consecration), and all that sort of good stuff at any NO Mass in the Diocese.

Honest to goodness, until I moved here almost 2 years ago, at my old Church I didn't hear the words sin, repentance, confession, etc - probably never in 30 years.