I'm in the Mood for a Melody
Before Led Zeppelin there was Bert Jansch.

Black Waterside

Quote:“The Blackwater Side” is one of many songs that came to Maine from the British tradition. It is, as Bill Cramp called it, a “long love song.” This ballad is one in a series of songs that consist of “true lovers’ discussions,” but none are any more good humored than “The Blackwater Side.” The basic plot is the recounting of an overheard conversation in which a young man pleads with a girl to marry him only to be turned down because the girl thinks she is too poor to be his bride. He insists repeatedly that he loves her, but warns her that he will not propose again and in fact has another woman who wants to marry him. The girl asks for her mother’s permission and the two are eventually married. There are other songs with this same name, but they are easily distinguished by a sinister plot twist in which the young man sleeps with the girl then says he cannot marry her because she was so easily seduced.

https://umaine.edu/folklife/what-we-do/p...ater-side/
Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
Up Maine! I never really realized that we actually had a musical tradition lol.

This one has a lot of memories for, and Brady is one of the best musicians I've heard IMO.

I still wish I could find a chanted version of the entire Song of Roland in old French, but this is close enough.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gondothlim 2's post:
  • Blind Horus
Bron yr aur

The saving grace of the Bron Yr Aur: where from 'em Tolkienistic numbers sprang
An old one but a good one. Bob Dylan`s "Quinn the Eskimo (Mighty Quinn)" sung by Manfred Mann.

I actually saw "The Manfreds" (Manfred Mann minus Mann) three or four years ago and still with Paul Jones and with Mike D`Abo and the rest. They were phenomenal!  

17 Hippies Marlène

Denis Montero - It's Not A Sacrifice

Son of My Heart Singing by Nell Ní Chróinín

[Rough English translation]

"My dear son," said the sergeant, 
"would you like to be in the King's army and uniform? 
Id 'Royal Dragoon across the sea 
And soon be a great officer soon "

and tu rai a fol de dídil a 
tu rai o rai o rai a 
and tu rai a fol de dídil a 
tu rai o rai o rai a

Tadhg enlisted and went overboard (oversea) ' 
His mother had not received his report for a long time, 
But in September a ship sailed 
To Cork harbor with Tadhg on board

She let out a scream when she saw him 
Because Tadhg was a lame man and a tree-foot (wooden limb) under 
him, Muse Taidhgín, my secrets, only wood for you, 
My soul from the devil, or are you me?

Were you blind (drunk) or were you blind, 
Or did you forget to leave your feet behind? 
Or did you walk on the deep sea 
That you had worn (your leg off) from heel to generation.

I was not blind or blind, and I did 
not forget my feet or leave them over there 
But shooting the guns in Sevastapool 
The berry (bullet) snatched my feet from my body on the run.

++++++++++++++
Circa 1850 Crimean War though what I gathered it may have come earlier -1835 first Carlist War. Either way it's definently black humuor (ample in Britain/Ireland)
Interesting, the last two verses are very similar to parts of this shanty, it's always interesting how folk songs are related to eachother:

Some more songs about joining the army:
This one's closely related to When Johnny Comes Home Again, there's some debate on how though. Lots of good versions of this one:

I really enjoy the Irish Rover's as well, but Bob Dylan's version (it's from when he was really young) has this mournful melancholic note to it that works really well:

There's lots of good versions of this one as well, this one and the Corries' versdion are some of my favorites:
The sublime Sicut cervus by Palestrina: