Nematodes
Unhappy situation with the animals the last 2 days. I found what are most likely nematodes (roundworms) in both Larry's and Poinsettia's enclosures. I am still baffled as to how the substrate became contaminated but my guess is either my feeder cricket population or superworm population had the parasites.

As you can imagine, I am not happy about this, and neither are the 3 giant spiders I had to rehouse into new, clean enclosures. I had to euthanize all my superworm and cricket feeders-which is a shame, because the banded crickets I was raising were in the process of breeding. I was going to try to maintain my own cricket colony and the crickets were doing such a good job of being raised.

Now I have to potentially worry about other animals being full of nematodes, which is usually a death sentence for tarantulas and other invertebrates. I'm even thinking of euthanizing my feeder roach population too, but I highly doubt my roaches have nematodes. They can even hitch rides on isopods and are quite common in outdoor soil, but I don't want nematodes living with my spiders-who are not wild-caught.

I'm not sure if there is a specific Saint I can ask for intercession against parasitic outbreaks in animals or just in general? Prayers for the animals would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk