"Laudato Si'"
Rainbow 
There are some 243 paragraphs to the encyclical written by Pope Francis, and it has been three years that I have read it.  I fail to recall that I finished reading it.  I chose the rainbow as an icon for this thread, since The Father, God, promised never again to flood His Creation.  Pope Francis began the title of "Laudato Si'" with the following words:  "on care for our common home".  The topic being our common home is a unity shared by those of eternal rest, both in Heaven, and in Hell.  The motivation is universal.  We care.  We know through the faith of St. Francis, when he said, as Pope Francis quoted from "The Canticle of Creatures: In Francis of Assisi Early Documents, vol.  1:  NY, 1999, pag.  113-114, "Praise be to you my Lord..." he meant God, triune of three persons and therefore, Creator.  This is a Christian opening rather than a Satanic opening.  I paraphrase the quote further: To God, from our sister, Mother Earth, God is praised as we are governed by what sustains us, and fed; made to see; what is beautiful and heals, flowers and herbs.

However, we read further; what his Excellency, Pope Francis, wrote is that "...We have come to see ourselves as her lord and masters, entitled to plunder her at will.  ...reflected in the symptoms of sickness evident in the soil, in the water, in the air and in all forms of life.  ...herself burdened and laid waste...among the most abandoned and maltreated of our poor; ...".  He goes on to say, we have forgotten that we were created from our sister, Mother Earth.  It is easy to conclude from this, we have abused ourselves.  I can wonder that our Father created His Son from Himself, rather than we from Him, then from Mother Earth, to care as He for His own Creation, as Jesus Christ would for His, His adopted children through His Christian Church.
Comments please.
Mother Earth is not a Catholic concept and therefore lacks a specific theological meaning.
[-] The following 3 users Like Some Guy's post:
  • josh987654321, MagisterMusicae, MaryTN
(11-26-2018, 09:25 PM)Some Guy Wrote: Mother Earth is not a Catholic concept...

Neither Pope Francis, nor St. Francis, being available to apologuise for Christianity, I will cite for you, Connell, Francis.  Revised Baltimore Catechism No.  3, Confraternity ed. New York, NY: Benzinger Brothers, Inc. 1949.  Print. pag. 5, the following:  "...God...who made all things and keeps them in existence.  ...".  Clearly, this is Catholic dogma.  To return to "Laudato Si'" paragraph two.  Pope Francis has written further the following words:  "...We have forgotten that we ourselves are dust of the earth...our very bodies are made of her elements, we breathe her air, and we receive life and refreshment from her waters.  ...".  Please remember his Excellency, Pope Francis, is native to Argentina.  Spanish is an official language.  It is close to the Latin that is the basis for English.  He uses as St. Francis did femine, and masculine, pronouns as "mother" for Earth.  Latin is as well the universal language of The Roman Rite of The Catholic Church.
There is a fairly lengthy study of Laudato Si at the Denzinger-Bergoglio site, in total about a half dozen different points. It does an excellent job of citing the Magisterium on Laudato Si and PF's other documents. When in doubt follow the Magisterium...

Understanding Laudato Si - Teachings of the Magisterium
"There are in truth three states of the converted: the beginning,  the middle and the perfection. In the beginning, they experience the charms of sweetness; in the middle, the contests of temptation; and in the end, the fullness of perfection."
-- Pope St. Gregory

Cor Jesu Eucharistic Miserere Nobis 

Salus animarum suprema lex
Shouldn't that be God's creation we're suppose to be talking care of?

Common smacks is Marxism 

Common Sense at one time was the common sense that brought about the American & French Revolutions in a bygone era, now, I'm afraid, the New Common Sense is Marxism (my point being common sense is fluid and the pope choice of language, in my opinion, poorly political).

Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
(11-27-2018, 10:11 AM)Blind Horus Wrote: Shouldn't that be God's creation we're suppose to be talking care of?...
Common Sense at one time was the common sense that brought about the American & French Revolutions in a bygone era, now, I'm afraid, the New Common Sense is Marxism (my point being common sense is fluid and the pope choice of language, in my opinion, poorly political).

Pope Francis--I understand--is saying, it is God's Creation that we have in our care.  I hadn't thought Common Sense to be what incited both The French Revolution, and The American Revolution; although, it does make sense.  Marxism certainly developed from 1789, clearly.

I have not finished Pacem inTerris by Pope Paul VI, (Referenced in Laudato Si') but he did state the following view:  "Men's common interests make it imperative that at long last a world-wide community of nations be established.".  He provided a fine framework as a basis for it, Pacem in Terris, that it can be established--as it looks to me now--seemingly disregarding N.A.T.O., U.N., the European Union, etc., sensibly since they are international, rather than global, or established as a consequent of wars won and lost, rather than common interests of humanity, such as justice.

I have to disregard the use of language, by Pope Francis, as political since its basis is theological, and his stated intent is "to enter into dialogue with all people about our common home." in paragraph three.  I recall some sense of it, when I first read it that the efforts of various nations were praised, others encouraged, and some admonished.

COR: I apologuise--Pope John XXIII wrote the encyclical "Pacem in Terris".
(11-27-2018, 06:34 AM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote: Understanding Laudato Si - Teachings of the Magisterium

Thank you for the link, I may use it later.
There is an interesting statement between paragraph two, and three, italicized:  Nothing in this world is indifferent to us.

The contemporary use of the word "indifferent" I have frequently heard encompassed by the word "hate".  The Animal Kingdom animated by instincts of sexual reproduction, and self-preservation, and their intelligence ordered to the same, exhibit care fundamentally to protect their offspring, to nurture their offspring.  The human animal animated by freewill, may choose indifference to its self-preservation, to its sexual reproduction.  Accept as a thesis statement that "Nothing in this world is indifferent to us.", because it is arguable.  Pope Francis has presented a problem, and the problem is "global environmental deterioration".  The purpose of this thread is to enter dialogue with Pope Francis, through his encyclical "Laudato Si'".  It is a dialogue some may dislike.  As Pope Francis would like this dialogue "...with all people about our common home." there is room to comment from many varied viewpoints, unique to each person globally.  Please comment.  Mother Earth, you neither are goddess, nor am I St. Francis; still, we can talk.  So many of the walls where I live have ears.  They know.  Were I your king, what would you obey?  St. Francis pray for us.
Pope Francis mentioned papal encyclical Pacem in Terris by Pope John XXIII, which handled the threat of nuclear war, as Cuba was armed and relevant to the tragic assassination of J.F.K., by Lee Harvey Oswald whom had broadcasted his radio program to Cuba, and sought to be enlisted in Cuba's army, in the following six months after Pacem in Terris.  Additionally, Canada, France, Soviet Union, United Kingdom, and United States signed Test Ban Treaty (1963) in Moscow, which went into effect after eight years of U.N. General Assembly resolutions, the month before assassination, October; Pacem in Terris varied themes such as human dignity, and rights both human and attributed to states, and personal development through education, similar to Laudato Si'.