Roger's New Age Thread - Seeking Help!
Oh my! The sad thing is that Novus Ordo Retreat Centers and religious orders have been remodeling some chapels into Masonic lodges--Table in the center with chairs in a circle around it and statues gone, walls covered in wood paneling. The prayer has become Eastern Meditation, creating a passive populace which wants an easy way out of life--just practice indifference and "detachment". This 1954 Fulton Sheen video may be waht is needed today!
[-] The following 1 user Likes greatdame's post:
  • Roger Buck
Thank you, all! : - )

These are useful links indeed BlindHorus and also greatdame there is terrible, terrible truth here:

(12-13-2018, 01:58 AM)greatdame Wrote: Oh my!  The sad thing is that Novus Ordo Retreat Centers and religious orders have been remodeling some chapels into Masonic lodges--Table in the center with chairs in a circle around it and statues gone, walls covered in wood paneling.  The prayer has become Eastern Meditation, creating a passive populace which wants an easy way out of life--just practice indifference and "detachment".  

So true of so much modern "Catholicism" ...

Whole threads could and should be devoted to the Easternisation of certain Novus Ordo orders/retreat centres/ "meditations".

As terribly important as all this, I want to make a very specific request for something a bit different.

What I am most seeking is information regarding recent MOVIES AND POP CULTURE of the last 15 -20 years or so that came after the time I pretty much stopped engaging in pop culture.

So for example 15-20 years ago there were the Matrix movies. These are extremely New Age. Reality is illusion in them, like the East believes. (Yes, also Gnostics etc in the West.)

The answer presented is not of course redemption through Our Lord - but ENLIGHTENMENT as to the illusory nature of reality ...

Can anyone point me to more movies, tv shows, bestselling novels etc like this where the goal is enlightenment to overcome illusion.

Also movies about succeeding through things like positive thinking, finding your personal power through magical things that are not Christian ...

I don't know the Harry Potter films really, but I'm fairly sure they contain these elements. I also mentioned CLOUD ATLAS above with Tom Hanks reincarnation etc.

But I'm also interested in things that are more subtle - not quite as obvious as reincarnation, but along these lines ...

Many thanks again!
Will add that I could imagine some of the superhero films have such. I haven't seen anything like that in over a decade at least.

I need to check out something called DR STRANGE. Force myself to watch it. But I imagine there are others too. It's easy to imagine paganism in Wonder Woman etc - but I could be wrong there.

Haven't had time to check it out. Quite BURIED in other aspects of finishing this book ...
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1354...-is-jewish

Superman Is Jewish?: How Comic Book Superheroes Came to Serve Truth, Justice, and the Jewish-American Way

[A couple comments from the above link]

"This was a far superior treatment of the subject than "From Krakow to Krypton". Some wonderful observations between the covers that served as a form of personal vindication for all the crap I took from the Rabbis when I was growing up about wasting all my time with "joke books". Does start to fall apart in the last few chapters- (I don't think Michael Chabon deserved an entire chapter devoted to him) but I would recommend this book to anyone that is interested in the cultural underpinnings of American comics in the 20th century.

If your name ends in "-man" it means one of two things: you are either a superhero; or you are Jewish."

"Several years ago, I read The Adventures of Cavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon, a fictional history of comic books through the life stories of two Jewish boys who create The Escapist, the first costumed superhero. This book offers the factual history, beginning with Superman and the two Jewish boys who created him (as well as other Jews who created Batman, Spiderman, the Fantastic Four and many more). But that's just the beginning, the hook. Brod goes back to suggest the Golem as the background for powerful protectors of the weak or oppressed. He looks at traditions of illustrated Haggaddahs as a source for the marriage word and image that made comic books more than just long comic strips and led to grahic novels. (Hooray for Will Eisner.) Later chapters focus on more overtly Jewish works such as Maus (Art Spiegelman's Pulitzer-winning graphic novel about his parents' experience of the Holocaust), The Rabbi's Cat (a French graphic novel/film), and a thorough look at Cavalier and Clay. Along the way I learned that Ben Grimm, the ever-lovin' blue-eyed Thing of the Fantastic Four, is officially Jewish. All in all, a good book to listen to for Rosh Hashanah."

I don't know if you were aware of the Jewish connection to comicbook-superheroes but it adds insight.

Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
Belated thanks for this, Blind Horus!

It's strange. I've read a lot, I mean a LOT of comics, growing up in America. Thousands upon thousands of American comic books, comics almost entirely produced in NYC, where the industry is located . . . Given how Jewish NYC is, it's not exactly surprising that a certain portion of the industry would be Jewish.

This is a topic I find very hard to discuss properly, give how fraught it is with complex things, charged potentials for misunderstanding and so, so much sheer suffering - but there is food for thought here and I am grateful you took the time to post it.
Hey Roger! I was dabbling in New Age stuff for a few years between high school and college, back in the late early 80's... at that time in my life I was just interested in reading and learning about various world religions, trying to find my way to the truth, I suppose. I had this one weird experience...Did you even hear of this guy, Gary Zukav? He wrote a book called The Dancing Wu Lee Masters.  

Anyway, I went to this conference one time where he was conducting a workshop. It was a while ago, obviously but as if I recall correctly he started off I think with these sort of 'trust games', you know, where one person lets themself fall backwards and another catches them? Then he goes onto talk about what "colors" he's getting from various groups in the room--I think he had us all in smaller groups at that point. 

Then, this is where it got really weird. He had us all sit in a big circle and there was this energy that starting flowing through the circle; through the people. It was definitely something I could feel, like a current going through my body. Then it stopped and I "heard" (not auditory) something within me say, "Get out; Leave the room now." Well, that exactly what I did. I got up and high tailed it out of the room. Was it my guardian angel? Just my gut feeling? Something else? I really don't know. I'm just grateful I left. Who knows what that was? I don't, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't from God, that's all I can say.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
[-] The following 1 user Likes JacafamalaRedux's post:
  • Roger Buck
(01-18-2019, 09:14 AM)Roger Buck Wrote: Belated thanks for this, Blind Horus!

It's strange. I've read a lot, I mean a LOT of comics, growing up in America. Thousands upon thousands of American comic books, comics almost entirely produced in NYC, where the industry is located . . . Given how Jewish NYC is, it's not exactly surprising that a certain portion of the industry would be Jewish.

This is a topic I find very hard to discuss properly, give how fraught it is with complex things, charged potentials for misunderstanding and so, so much sheer suffering - but there is food for thought here and I am grateful you took the time to post it.

Hello rodger, you noticed most all the comics were published in New York? How very nerdy of you Smile I've always been a bit of a label reader myself.

I'd say a anti-semite label would be the last thing anyone would want in this day and age (a easy thing to aquire) so I posted the article on the merit of who it was written by.

By the way, my name is Ken(ny), blind horus just happens to be on my clipboard when I got all head-up and joined, (I was trying to deciphering some hieroglyphics that day), I'm not, nor ever have been, a mason. Smile

Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blind Horus's post:
  • Roger Buck
(01-18-2019, 10:28 AM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: Hey Roger! I was dabbling in New Age stuff for a few years between high school and college, back in the late early 80's... at that time in my life I was just interested in reading and learning about various world religions, trying to find my way to the truth, I suppose. I had this one weird experience...Did you even hear of this guy, Gary Zukav? He wrote a book called The Dancing Wu Lee Masters.  

Anyway, I went to this conference one time where he was conducting a workshop. It was a while ago, obviously but as if I recall correctly he started off I think with these sort of 'trust games', you know, where one person lets themself fall backwards and another catches them? Then he goes onto talk about what "colors" he's getting from various groups in the room--I think he had us all in smaller groups at that point. 

Then, this is where it got really weird. He had us all sit in a big circle and there was this energy that starting flowing through the circle; through the people. It was definitely something I could feel, like a current going through my body. Then it stopped and I "heard" (not auditory) something within me say, "Get out; Leave the room now." Well, that exactly what I did. I got up and high tailed it out of the room. Was it my guardian angel? Just my gut feeling? Something else? I really don't know. I'm just grateful I left. Who knows what that was? I don't, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't from God, that's all I can say.

Thank you this Jaca. Yes I know of Zukav and these sorts of exercises very well. 

And I think they're more POTENT than many people realise. 

That is, so many people think they're just silliness - but I think this "current" you describe IS having real consequences for people. A current not from God, as you say ...

I am grateful to hear too of you being rescued. Very striking story. I certainly believe it could be your Guardian Angel ...

Thank you again.

And thank you, too, Kenny ... : - )
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roger Buck's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux