Eastern Catholics?
What makes Eastern Catholics different that Roman or Western?
I occasionally attend divine liturgy at a Ukrainian Catholic church, and I'd say the biggest difference off hand is the liturgy itself. The DL of St John Chrysostom is used primarily, with the DL of St Basil on a few other occasions. Church interior looks much more like an Orthodox church, though you will often see icons not found among the Orthodox, i,e, Sacred Heart, Stations of the Cross, some Western Saints. No musical instruments are used in the liturgy, and you'll see alot more bowing, though kneeling is quite common in some parishes. Every Traditional RC I know will attend a Byzantine Rite liturgy over the NO any day of the year.
[-] The following 2 users Like Eric F's post:
  • karl, Paradosiakos
Eastern Catholics have the Patriarch of Istanbul, and place in history, as prior to Rome, while perhaps being those among whom the Holy Bible originated, as the Peshitta, while The Apostles, and Jesus Christ, lived:  said Mar Eshai Shimun by Grace, Catholicos Patriarch of the East, "...the originality of the Peshitta text, as the Patriarch and Head of the Holy Apostolic and Catholic Church of the East we wish to state, that the Church of the East received the scriptures from the hands of the blessed Apostles themselves in the Aramaic original, the language spoken by our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and that the Peshitta is the text of the Church of the East which has come down from the Biblical times without any change or revision.".
 x < 1
Angel
Pray
J.M.J./M.J.M./B.V.M.  

Posts by lessthanholy are protected both by U.S. Constitutional copyright law, and international copyright law, Berne Convention, PLEASE: email or message requests for use, lessthanholy, thankyou!  Or email what use of it is to yourself, both fairly, and personally, as well.

"Indifferentism is atheism minus the name."  Leo XIII
(12-05-2018, 11:46 AM)lessthanholy Wrote: Eastern Catholics have the Patriarch of Istanbul,

Don't know much about Eastern Catholics, eh? Eastern Catholics, specifically do not have the Patriarch of Constantinople (I wouldn't suggest calling him the Patriarch of Istanbul in the hearing of an Eastern Orthodox). Eastern Catholics are in Communion with the Pope, just as are all Catholics.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 2 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • karl, LaudeturIesus
Not much, but was unaware it is still known as Constantinople.  It was known as Byzantium at one time, I think.
 x < 1
Angel
Pray
J.M.J./M.J.M./B.V.M.  

Posts by lessthanholy are protected both by U.S. Constitutional copyright law, and international copyright law, Berne Convention, PLEASE: email or message requests for use, lessthanholy, thankyou!  Or email what use of it is to yourself, both fairly, and personally, as well.

"Indifferentism is atheism minus the name."  Leo XIII
Istanbul, Byzantium, Constantinople. Peshitta and liturgy are the main differences, I think. What is in common is seven Sacraments, Transubstantiation and the Pope, generally speaking. This is a really nice walk through the Eastern Catholic Rite:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=eas...&FORM=VIRE
(12-05-2018, 09:32 AM)Eric F Wrote: I occasionally attend divine liturgy at a Ukrainian Catholic church, and I'd say the biggest difference off hand is the liturgy itself. The DL of St John Chrysostom is used primarily, with the DL of St Basil on a few other occasions. Church interior looks much more like an Orthodox church, though you will often see icons not found among the Orthodox, i,e, Sacred Heart, Stations of the Cross, some Western Saints. No musical instruments are used in the liturgy, and you'll see alot more bowing, though kneeling is quite common in some parishes. Every Traditional RC I know will attend a Byzantine Rite liturgy over the NO any day of the year.

What you describe is more of a parish to parish thing.  Some Eastern Catholic parishes are indistinguishable from Orthodox parishes.  Stations of the Cross, Sacred Heart, kneelers, etc, are Western customs that were incorporated into (particularly, the Ruthenian and Ukrainian churches) when the Latin church was pursuing latinization of the Eastern churches as they came into union with Rome.
I have resigned myself to the reality that I shall have no peace or joy should I continue to exist for eternity.  The question of deism or Christianity no longer matters.  I hope that Christianity is a farce, and that when I die, my consciousness will cease to exist.  In the meantime, I ask the Theotokos to be at my side at my judgement and ask her to intercede to, as I beg, Christ to have mercy on me and to allow me to cease to exist when I die.
(12-05-2018, 08:57 AM)Markie Boy Wrote: What makes Eastern Catholics different that Roman or Western?

Besides liturgy, the focus of spirituality is very different.  Western spirituality, even out of its legalistic extreme, tends to be very formally defined.  Eastern spirituality focuses on mystery and, in a sense, accepting the unknowable.
I have resigned myself to the reality that I shall have no peace or joy should I continue to exist for eternity.  The question of deism or Christianity no longer matters.  I hope that Christianity is a farce, and that when I die, my consciousness will cease to exist.  In the meantime, I ask the Theotokos to be at my side at my judgement and ask her to intercede to, as I beg, Christ to have mercy on me and to allow me to cease to exist when I die.
(12-05-2018, 06:58 PM)lessthanholy Wrote: Not much, but was unaware it is still known as Constantinople.  It was known as Byzantium at one time, I think.

None of the Eastern Catholic churches sui juris have a patriarch in Istanbul, by whichever name you would call it.
I think I also read Eastern Catholics don't or don't have to celebrate the Immaculate Conception. What I picked up was not that they don't think Mary was born without the stain/guilt of original sin, but they believe we all are born without the actual guilt of original sin.

One thing I really like about the East, Eastern Catholic or Eastern Orthodoxy - their liturgy has not been wrecked, and they still seem to have a real fasting calendar. It's like the East was not so wrecked by modernizing like the Roman Church.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Markie Boy's post:
  • Optatus Cleary