Poll: Was Satan the right hand servant of God?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
66.67%
2 66.67%
No
0%
0 0%
We do not know
33.33%
1 33.33%
I do not know, but the church knows
0%
0 0%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Was Satan God's right hand man before his fall?
Was Satan among the ranks of Micheal and Gabriel?
I'm not sure whether the term "right-hand man" is the terminology to use, but Satan (Lucifer) is considered to have been the highest of the angels before he fell, a Seraphim, above the Archangels such as Michael and Gabriel.
"There are not over a hundred people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church -- which is, of course, quite a different thing." -Ven. Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

"Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity." -Fr. John Hardon, S.J.
(12-13-2018, 10:25 PM)GodIsGood Wrote: Was Satan among the ranks of Micheal and Gabriel?

Probably not, since Lucifer was considered one of the highest, if not the highest of the Angels, and Michael and Gabriel are only archangels. Archangels are pretty far down in the traditional rankings of the Choirs of Angels.

The Choirs traditionally are, from lowest to highest, Angels, Archangels, Virtues; Powers, Principalities, Dominations; Thrones, Cherubim, Seraphim.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • HailGilbert
I believe Lucifer was a Cherub. That made his fall even more horrid, since he was of the three choirs that attend at the Throne of God. Seraphim, Cherubim and Thrones attend the Throne and he was 'anointed' or specially appointed as God's angel, apparently.

Lucifer became Satan at his fall from heaven as a lightning bolt, as Jesus said He saw.

Quote:Lucifer was the anointed cherub (Ezekiel 28:14; Isaiah 14:12,13).
Lucifer’s Reign as the anointed cherub that covereth was God’s most high priest in the mountain of God ( Isaiah 14:12-14; Ezekiel 28:13-17).
Lucifer was the highest ranking angel that God created until he sinned and became Satan.
https://rightdivision.com/charts/alpha-o...ted-cherub(ya its Protestant source, but accurate in this case, anyway)
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain

You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
C.S. Lewis

Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners.
George Carlin

“In a time of deceit…truth is a revolutionary act”
George Orwell
(12-14-2018, 04:20 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(12-13-2018, 10:25 PM)GodIsGood Wrote: Was Satan among the ranks of Micheal and Gabriel?

Probably not, since Lucifer was considered one of the highest, if not the highest of the Angels, and Michael and Gabriel are only archangels. Archangels are pretty far down in the traditional rankings of the Choirs of Angels.

The Choirs traditionally are, from lowest to highest, Angels, Archangels, Virtues; Powers, Principalities, Dominations; Thrones, Cherubim, Seraphim.

Some theologians, however, suggest a two-fold division between Angels and Archangels (which would generically including all of the higher divisions). Thus to say Michael is an Archangel may be to say that he is in the second-to-lowest choir, or to simply say he was one of the higher angels.

That said, St Thomas Aquinas assigns Lucifer among the Cherubim (-im indicates a Hebrew plural, so the singular is Cherub, thus Lucifer was a Cherub). In ST I:I, q. 68, a. 7 ad 1, he writes :

Quote:Cherubim is interpreted "fulness of knowledge," while "Seraphim" means "those who are on fire," or "who set on fire." Consequently Cherubim is derived from knowledge; which is compatible with mortal sin; but Seraphim is derived from the heat of charity, which is incompatible with mortal sin. Therefore the first angel who sinned is called, not a Seraph, but a Cherub.
(12-14-2018, 04:28 PM)Zedta Wrote: I believe Lucifer was a Cherub. That made his fall even more horrid, since he was of the three choirs that attend at the Throne of God. Seraphim, Cherubim and Thrones attend the Throne and he was 'anointed' or specially appointed as God's angel, apparently.

Lucifer became Satan at his fall from heaven as a lightning bolt, as Jesus said He saw.

Quote:Lucifer was the anointed cherub (Ezekiel 28:14; Isaiah 14:12,13).
Lucifer’s Reign as the anointed cherub that covereth was God’s most high priest in the mountain of God ( Isaiah 14:12-14; Ezekiel 28:13-17).
Lucifer was the highest ranking angel that God created until he sinned and became Satan.
https://rightdivision.com/charts/alpha-o...ted-cherub(ya its Protestant source, but accurate in this case, anyway)

The problem with the sources here is that while the Latin, Greek and Hebrew all use the Hebrew word (or it's transliteration) "cherub" in Ezechiel 28.14, there was never a Hebrew concepts on the hierarchy of the angels. The intention of the author, then, could not have been to assign Lucifer to a particular hierarchy which was not yet identified.

"Cherub" here could be very much a generic term, rather than specific, and probably is not specific since the specific sense did not exist when Ezechiel was prophesying. 

Isaias does not help since it merely speaks of Lucifer's gifts and beauty and his fall, without assigning him to a theologically developed hierarchy.

If this text were a proof text, clearly St Thomas Aquinas would have quoted it as proof that Lucifer was a Cherub without going through the etymology of the names to make a proof.

So, in short, you're right that Lucifer was thought to be of the Cherubim, but that's not because of what is said in Ezechiel.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MagisterMusicae's post:
  • Florus