Third Orders and Habits
I'm looking into becoming a Third Order Dominican (or as they say since VII, "Lay Dominican") or possibly a Benedictine Oblate. My understanding from the limited online resources about third orders is that tertiaries are incardinated members of their respective order. Since Vatican II the use of the full habit by tertiaries has been downplayed a lot, even more so than before. If I become an incardinated member of the Order of Preachers, then couldn't I wear my habit whenever I'm at the priory or privately at home when praying the Office?

The closest Dominican priory is a 3 hour drive at Holy Rosary in Portland, OR. They offer the Dominican Rite Mass and all Masses are ad orientem.
Corpus Christi, salva me.

Check out my new blog: A Young Popish American
(01-01-2019, 02:02 AM)LaudeturIesus Wrote: I'm looking into becoming a Third Order Dominican (or as they say since VII, "Lay Dominican") or possibly a Benedictine Oblate. My understanding from the limited online resources about third orders is that tertiaries are incardinated members of their respective order. Since Vatican II the use of the full habit by tertiaries has been downplayed a lot, even more so than before. If I become an incardinated member of the Order of Preachers, then couldn't I wear my habit whenever I'm at the priory or privately at home when praying the Office?

The closest Dominican priory is a 3 hour drive at Holy Rosary in Portland, OR. They offer the Dominican Rite Mass and all Masses are ad orientem.

I don't know about the Dominicans, but even before the Council, Carmelite Tertiaries only wore the full habit as a burial shroud. At ceremonies, in  procession, etc. we wore ceremonial scapulars outside our clothing. 
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

(01-01-2019, 02:09 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 02:02 AM)LaudeturIesus Wrote: I'm looking into becoming a Third Order Dominican (or as they say since VII, "Lay Dominican") or possibly a Benedictine Oblate. My understanding from the limited online resources about third orders is that tertiaries are incardinated members of their respective order. Since Vatican II the use of the full habit by tertiaries has been downplayed a lot, even more so than before. If I become an incardinated member of the Order of Preachers, then couldn't I wear my habit whenever I'm at the priory or privately at home when praying the Office?

I don't know about the Dominicans, but even before the Council, Carmelite Tertiaries only wore the full habit as a burial shroud. At ceremonies, in  procession, etc. we wore ceremonial scapulars outside our clothing. 

I wonder if it's possible to use the traditional 1923 Rule of the Third Order of St. Dominic, whether by joining a fraternity of the Lay Dominicans and requesting to use the 1923 Rule, forming a new fraternity of Lay Dominicans here that use the 1923 Rule, or finding an already existing traditional fraternity.

Here is the quote on the habit from the 1923 Rule (I believe the 1972 Rule doesn't even mention vestition if I'm not mistaken): 

"The Habit of the Third Order should be made of common wool. It consists of a white robe, gathered at the waist with a leather belt, a black cloak with a hood for the Brothers and a linen guimpe for the Sisters. Tertiaries ordinarily wear a scapular of white wool under their secular dress, in place of the Habit of the Order.

With the permission of the Ordinary of the place Tertiaries may wear in public liturgical functions the full Habit of the Order, or some special insignia according to custom. When they meet in a body wearing their insignia at such functions, they should march behind the cross of the Fraternity.

It is forbidden to wear the Habit of the Order publicy without the consent of the Master General and the permission of the local Ordinary.

After death, Tertiaries may be clothed with the full Habit of the Third Order, or even that of the First Order or Second Order"
Corpus Christi, salva me.

Check out my new blog: A Young Popish American
We have a very active Dominican third order in our parish. Traditional rite here in New Zealand