Expectant Father
Hello friends, long time no see. This past evening I learned that my wife is four weeks pregnant with our first child. Needless to say I was thrilled, and immediately entrusted the new baby to Our Lady's care. 
As well as asking for your prayers for my wife and baby, I'd like to ask any of you dads out there for advice. I'm not quite sure of what to ask, so anything that you think would be helpful is greatly appreciated. Pax Christi!
[-] The following 1 user Likes friendly.neighborhood.papist's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux
(01-24-2019, 03:44 PM)friendly.neighborhood.papist Wrote: Hello friends, long time no see. This past evening I learned that my wife is four weeks pregnant with our first child. Needless to say I was thrilled, and immediately entrusted the new baby to Our Lady's care. 
As well as asking for your prayers for my wife and baby, I'd like to ask any of you dads out there for advice. I'm not quite sure of what to ask, so anything that you think would be helpful is greatly appreciated. Pax Christi!

Congrats brother.

My wife and I have a three year old son, and my wife is also 23 weeks pregnant on our 2nd baby, a girl.

I remember having anxiety before my son because I had no idea what to expect. 

Fatherhood is amazing stuff though.  Congrats again.
Hey fellow Congratulations. The Lord has blessed me and my wife/helper with 5 wonderful kids. I do remember the first it was very exciting and complicated for sure ! Again Congratulations and for advice take it one day at a time .
I have 5 children, 3 boys. The biggest piece of advice is patience. Patience will be easy when he is a baby. It will be harder when he is older. Patience, patience, patience.

Also and this is HUGE, start good habits right after he is born and not later on. It's so harder to change after its been a certain way for so long. Such as take them to mass right after they are Bron and don't stop just because of their age. Some on here say it doesn't matter since until kids reach age of reason it's not a sin for theme and they should go when they are mature enough not to make a scene. From my personal experience, we started bringing our kids to mass the first Sunday after they were born and never stopped. We ingrained it in them, mass was not an option, it's something that you go to no matter what and behave at. Doing it this way has worked wonders for us. Our children don't scream or throw tantrums at mass and that even goes for our current 2 year old. Start good habits when they are born, don't wait, it's so much easier.
[-] The following 1 user Likes havok579257's post:
  • Jeeter
Congratulations!  Kids are a blast!  I'll keep y'all in my Rosary intentions today.

I also have 5 crib midgets; 3 boys, 2 girls.  Havok is spot on with his comment about being patient.  Patient and firm.  Once they start their toddler years, they'll definitely test you.  The key is to be patient with them, as hard as that can be, yet firm, by teaching them right & wrong.

When she gets farther along, make a list of what you and the wife want to take to the L&D clinic, then keep it packed and ready to go.

I'd get in the habit of you and the missus of double checking with each other before leaving the house.  Getting to Mass and realizing that nobody brought the diaper bag really sucks, lol.

When babies are born, they aren't always a pink rosy color, instantly screaming and kicking.  My first popped out kind of greyish and quiet, and I almost threw up and screamed because I thought she was stillborn. 

Those blue auto shop towels make good baby wipes in a pinch. Big Grin
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
Congratulations. My wife is also pregnant (17 weeks) with our first child. We were married in August. My best friend's wife (we were one another's best men) is 15 weeks pregnant too. What a good time for the Church.
"Punishment is justice for the unjust." Saint Augustine of Hippo
[-] The following 1 user Likes RyanPatrick's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux
Congratulations!  If you have a boy, please consider not having him circumcised.  I have lots of information on why not to if you are interested.
I have resigned myself to the reality that I shall have no peace or joy should I continue to exist for eternity.  The question of deism or Christianity no longer matters.  I hope that Christianity is a farce, and that when I die, my consciousness will cease to exist.  In the meantime, I ask the Theotokos to be at my side at my judgement and ask her to intercede to, as I beg, Christ to have mercy on me and to allow me to cease to exist when I die.
(02-17-2019, 09:30 AM)Melkite Wrote: Congratulations!  If you have a boy, please consider not having him circumcised.  I have lots of information on why not to if you are interested.

To echo this, it’s not even recommended by the American Peds association.  In the past they recommended it but not anymore.  It’s purley cosmetic unless your child has some underlying medical issue that  would have circumcision be recommended to improve quality of life.  Unless that is the case, there really is no reason to circumcise anymore.