The Victorian Kitchen
(02-01-2019, 01:35 AM)TheQueenMother Wrote: We have one of these beauties in our dining room, which is just off of our kitchen:

http://store.woodstove.com/product.php?p...at=&page=1

It has this really neat cook top under the soap stone that I love. Very handy if the power goes out, or if we feel like getting some extra use out of all that heat during the winter months:

http://blog.woodstove.com/2012/04/new-pr...e.html?m=1

Very nice! How's cooking over a wood/charcoal compare with gas or electric, if you don't mind me asking?

We've settled on the pellet stove.

http://www.heatilatorecochoice.com/Produ...Stove.aspx

Won't burn everything, but fuel is cheap and sustainable, and it can be set to kick on automatically.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
Sure, Jeeter! It is definitely different, in that you have to plan ahead, and can't just switch it on for that instant sear. We usually keep it going at a temp that that is perfect for the slow, cook-all-day simmer. So, perfect for soup or stew.  I really do want to experiment more with it, though! I just keep forgetting! Should talk to my kitchen duty kids about it. They'd help me remember!
"..the hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world" -William Ross Wallace
[-] The following 1 user Likes TheQueenMother's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux
(02-01-2019, 01:35 AM)TheQueenMother Wrote:
(01-28-2019, 02:55 PM)Jeeter Wrote:
(01-26-2019, 08:05 PM)MaryTN Wrote: Research antique wood stoves for sale.  There are several sites that fix them up and sell them.  Lots of stuff from the black, cast iron wood burners up thru the 1960's - all colors.  One site also sells old refrigerators.  Very cool.

Thanks for the tip.  We're flipping between a pellet stove and a wood stove.  I like the higher heating efficiency and lower smoke output of the pellet stove, plus they tend to come with hoppers so they can feed themselves.  On the flip side, a wood stove can burn just about anything, including pellets, so fuel isn't in theory a huge problem if poo hits the fan.  But then, keeping a wood stove running with wood alone takes a lot of prep time.  Choices, choices...

We have one of these beauties in our dining room, which is just off of our kitchen:

http://store.woodstove.com/product.php?p...at=&page=1

It has this really neat cook top under the soap stone that I love. Very handy if the power goes out, or if we feel like getting some extra use out of all that heat during the winter months:

http://blog.woodstove.com/2012/04/new-pr...e.html?m=1

Wow, I really like that you can cook on top of that stove. My husband is saying now we should go with a pellet stove... I may have to show him this one you've linked to. Also, good point that you can do pellets in a wood burning stove; it makes the thing much more versatile than a pellet stove.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
(02-05-2019, 09:31 AM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: Wow, I really like that you can cook on top of that stove. My husband is saying now we should go with a pellet stove... I may have to show him this one you've linked to. Also, good point that you can do pellets in a wood burning stove; it makes the thing much more versatile than a pellet stove.

Get both. Fuel for the pellet stove is cheaper and involves no labor and prep/drying time. honestly, if we're at the point we're burning any wood we can find for heating and cooking, we're pretty screwed as a society.

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

(02-08-2019, 08:13 AM)Jeeter Wrote:
(02-05-2019, 09:31 AM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: Wow, I really like that you can cook on top of that stove. My husband is saying now we should go with a pellet stove... I may have to show him this one you've linked to. Also, good point that you can do pellets in a wood burning stove; it makes the thing much more versatile than a pellet stove.

Get both.  Fuel for the pellet stove is cheaper and involves no labor and prep/drying time.  honestly, if we're at the point we're burning any wood we can find for heating and cooking, we're pretty screwed as a society.

If an EMP happens--and it could easily happen--we're gonna be set back technologically to the 1800's in the blink of an eye. Poof. Just like that! ETA: other than solar power and vehicles built prior to around 1985, hand crank radios and anything anyone put inside a faraday cage....those sorts of things.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
(02-11-2019, 03:44 PM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: If an EMP happens--and it could easily happen--we're gonna be set back technologically to the 1800's in the blink of an eye. Poof. Just like that! ETA: other than solar power and vehicles built prior to  around 1985, hand crank radios and anything anyone put inside a faraday cage....those sorts of things.

I've considered that possibility, which is why I've invested in a horse-drawn buggy, decked out like Mad Max's . Sticking tongue out at you

I still say go with both. The pellet stove is more efficient, less labor intensive, requires less prep time (drying and curing wood), and is cheaper for heating in the current state of things, which could vanish, but I'd say is unlikely to do so any time soon. The wood stove will burn anything, and will work should the grid go down for longer than a pellet stove and generator can last.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Jeeter's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux
I can only do one for now....Wood stove it is!
[-] The following 1 user Likes JacafamalaRedux's post:
  • Jeeter
(02-12-2019, 02:18 PM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: I can only do one for now....Wood stove it is!

Tough choice, right?

Are you getting one with a blower?

(02-12-2019, 02:33 PM)Jeeter Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 02:18 PM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: I can only do one for now....Wood stove it is!

Tough choice, right?

Yeah, I think so...Not sure, though. Are you getting one with a blower?
(02-14-2019, 11:59 AM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 02:33 PM)Jeeter Wrote:

Tough choice, right?

Yeah, I think so...Not sure, though. Are you getting one with a blower?

Yep. The blower helps hot air circulate throughout the house. It won't work if you lose power, but the stove will still heat up the immediately surrounding area.

We've settled on a pellet stove with a generator for backup.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Jeeter's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux