Sunday obligation
(01-28-2019, 09:41 PM)catholicschoolmom Wrote:
(01-27-2019, 02:14 PM)For Petes Sake Wrote: Roads look decent I'm going to go.

In this case, could you watch Mass on EWTN or a local channel that broadcasts? Could you go Monday morning, assuming roads got plowed/salted btwn Sunday morning and Monday?

If you are not able to fulfill your obligation you no longer have an obligation. The Church does not oblige the impossible.

You still need to sanctify your Sunday or Holy Day. That is the Third Commandment, and the Divine Positive Law. There are no exceptions to it. The Church Law, which is a human law, and the one that obliges Mass attendance and omitting servile work does admit of exceptions, like any human law.

You could sanctify that day by taking time to follow a televised Mass, or by reading the Mass prayers, or by saying an extra Rosary, or spending some time in mental prayer or spiritual reading, or listening to sermons or Catholic conferences, etc. ...

...but you no longer, if you cannot reasonably make it to Mass have an obligation to go to Mass. You are not fulfilling this non-existent obligation by doing substitute works, but you are fulfilling the Third Commandment.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MagisterMusicae's post:
  • jovan66102
(01-27-2019, 01:22 PM)havok579257 Wrote: I think this is a great point that was made.  If the roads are truly to dangerous to drive to mass then that should apply to stores, eateries and work.

That is a good rule of thumb.

If you had only a few things in the cupboard or refrigerator (like enough to make some PB&J, but not have a real proper meal) would you forego going to a store to purchase what you need if it were across the street from the church?

If so, you'd clearly be exempted from Mass. If you'd drive there so you could eat, then you need to go to Mass.

To look at the OPs question, yes, if there were a later Mass you could attend without serious difficulty (the kind that would exempt you in the first place), you must go later. Remember that you are obliged to attend Mass, not go to Communion, so there's an evening Mass, the roads get treated, but you had the family dinner, you still need to go to Mass, even if you cannot receive.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MagisterMusicae's post:
  • jovan66102
Whether you're sick, caring for another person, or weather is bad the key word is necessary. If it's necessary, stay home.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
There weren't too many people there when I went. The priest said it was empty in the morning.
Well, this is Canada in mid-January, after all.
"Punishment is justice for the unjust." Saint Augustine of Hippo
(01-29-2019, 11:34 AM)RyanPatrick Wrote: Well, this is Canada in mid-January, after all.

Be of good cheer. Just when I read your post I got an email message the read, "Spring is Ahead!" Thought you might like to know...
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Spring, in Canada, starts in June.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RyanPatrick's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux
(01-29-2019, 01:29 PM)RyanPatrick Wrote: Spring, in Canada, starts in June.

I thought the seasons in Canada were winter, winter, winter, and road construction.
(01-29-2019, 02:37 PM)Paul Wrote:

I thought the seasons in Canada were winter, winter, winter, and road construction.

O Cana-da!  :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake:

(01-29-2019, 02:37 PM)Paul Wrote:

That's only true of Quebec. They take a province-wide 3 week vacation just to do the roadwork through the summer. It's craziness.