Anti-Abortion Movie Gets 'R' Rating
Think about this... From The Daily Caller:

‘UNPLANNED’ ABORTION MOVIE HAS ZERO NUDITY OR SEX. GETS ‘R’ RATING FOR VIOLENT ‘DISTURBING’ IMAGES OF ABORTED BABIES
1:53 PM 02/22/2019 | US

The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) officially gave the upcoming abortion film “Unplanned” an “R” rating Friday for “some disturbing/bloody images” of aborted babies.

Movies are rated R for profanity, nudity, sex or violence. “Unplanned” contains no profanity, nudity or sex. “Ironically, the MPAA seems to be indirectly endorsing the pro-life position: namely that abortion is an act of violence,” writers and directors Cary Solomon and Chuck Konzelman told Movieguide.

The film tells the true story of former Planned Parenthood clinic director Abby Johnson who worked at a Planned Parenthood clinic in Bryan, Texas, until 2009 when she left the organization after assisting in an ultrasound-guided abortion of a 13-week-old unborn baby. Johnson was Planned Parenthood’s youngest director of a clinic in the nation.

She helped over 22,000 women have abortions during her time at the clinic. Planned Parenthood named Johnson as the employee of the year in 2008. She worked at the abortion provider for eight years before leaving the group. Johnson also had a medication abortion before she became pro-life.

The R rating will mean that “many teenage women in this country who can legally obtain an actual abortion without parental permission will be prohibited from going to see our film containing simulated images of abortion, without obtaining parental permission,” Solomon and Konzelman also said, noting the double-edged sword of the rating. (RELATED: Actress Warned About Being Blacklisted Over Pro-Life Film ‘Unplanned’)

A parent or guardian, however, can accompany a child younger than 17 to an R-rated film.
“We are pushing the boundaries of what has never been before on such a wide scale by showing America exactly what abortion is — and abortion is disturbing. It’s violent,” Johnson said in a statement.

Johnson is the founder of pro-life group And Then There Were None (ATTWN), which helps abortion workers leave the industry. It also helps women who’ve had abortions and are suffering. The group was founded in 2012.

Since leaving Planned Parenthood, Johnson has helped roughly 500 former abortionworkers leave their jobs and find other careers outside of the abortion industry. Seven of those workers were abortion doctors.

“No one will walk away from seeing this movie and say ‘I didn’t know,'” she added.

“Unplanned” hits theaters on March 29.

Follow Grace on Twitter.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
I can see how the R rating is a double edge sword. A part of me feels the rating tragic, a part grateful. My own family is a prime example of this: my 14 year old son could likely watch this and learn the message, why my 13 year old stepdaughter who is greatly delayed in the maturity department would literally be traumatized.

This raises a huge swath of what ifs.

The reality though is that this movie sounds like it is doing exactly what our society needs. Let us hope for its goals to be achieved.

Our best bet is to pray hard over this, and hope it succeeds in exposing the vile realities of today's world.
[-] The following 1 user Likes redneckpride4ever's post:
  • gospel654
while in other movies,  fake death scenes of violence get a pg 13 rating unless one drops an F bomb then it gets bumped up to an R rating, and back in the real world,  New York fights hard to stop all gun violence while at the same time creating a law that allows for babies to be murdered after the child is born. 

This nation is already divided , we mine as well divy up the states red and blue, take  all three branches of government an split those seats 50/50.  An call it a day. Voting remains in tact the only difference is it is almost certain that neither party can successfully have full control of all three branches.

Only option other than that is direct action to remove said extremists on both sides, create a new penal colony , set a no fly zone over said penal colony and let them enjoy their own personal utopia of hell that they so desperately want. Preferably a penal colony not in the continental USA.
Seems just right for me giving this kind of movie an "R" rating. IMO abortion is a murder.
[-] The following 1 user Likes FisHook's post:
  • gospel654
Mrs. Bonaventure and I went to see this last night.  While I don't consider myself someone who will only see 'christian' movies, while I was walking into the theatre, it occurred to me that the last movie I saw in a theatre was 'Paul, Apostle of Christ' well over a year ago!  I guess we prefer to watch movies at home... .

In any event, we chose to support this movie at the Box Office.  I had read a lot about it, mostly about its making, and only knew that it was about a lady who had once been a director of a PP office.

Here's my review.  

Overall, definitely worth seeing.  I won't go as far as to say it should be mandatory, like Gibson's "Passion of the Christ", but if you know anyone who is on the fence when it comes to abortions, get them to see it.  Obviously, if you know someone who is 'pro-life', encourage them to see it, though I would guess they wouldn't see it eve if they were paid.  But I digress.  

While I don't agree with the 'R' rating, the abortion scenes are not for the light of heart.  I'm the type who gets squeamish at the sight of blood, and there are a couple of scenes that made me uncomfortable.  But that's the point.  Would I prevent children from seeing this?  Well, maybe, but I wouldn't have cut those scenes out of the movie, and if you have children under 10, I guess that's your call.  But some things need to be seen; it's far too often we hide from the realities of life, and in so doing, keep it from our hearts and minds wherein we try to deceive ourselves into believing that they do not exist.  But they do indeed exist.

Moving past the rating, and given their budget, I think they did an excellent job.  However, I can once again tell that this was written for a broader 'christian' audience, as opposed to a more Catholic audience.  While I would gander most Catholics today wouldn't have even noticed some of the subtleties, they are there.  For example, while the entire movie is based upon the horrors of medical abortions, many times throughout the movie "The Pill" is mentioned in a nonchalant way, implicit that there's nothing wrong with that vis-a-vis medical abortive procedures.  Further, the over-the-tope non-denominational nature of all the protagonist characters sort of makes them look darn-near one-dimensional (but the antagonist character was also quite one-dimensional, but more believable).  Again, I attribute this to a desire to make this movie appeal to an audience of a very broad base, but at the same time, I think it misses the point as to why all of these pro-life characters feel the way they do.  But again, that is somewhat of a minor criticism, and it is a common one which I have with a lot of "christian' movies nowadays, none of which are Catholic, but instead seem to be geared towards the Mega-Church crowd.  

Along those lines, throughout the movie, which for the most part spans over seven years of the main character's life, she only has one child, which was conceived even though the woman was on "The Pill."  But there were no other children.  This again was one of the little things that irked me, because here we have a movie which shows the horrors of abortion, but at the same time refuses to speak of the horrors of abortifacients.  However, at the very end of the movie, we're told (through subtitles) that since leaving PP, the main character has had six more children and is working on her eighth!  Hmmm... this got me to thinking... that does not at all seem to fit inline with the story just portrayed.  So, when I got home, I looked up Abby Johnson's (the main character) Wiki page, and came across this paragraph:

Quote:Johnson was raised as a Southern Baptist, but left the church because it objected to her work at Planned Parenthood. She and her husband Doug, who was raised Lutheran, stopped attending church altogether for two years before joining the Episcopal Church, which has one of the most liberal stances on abortion of any Mainline Protestant denomination. After she went public with her conversion to the anti-abortion position, Johnson said she felt unwelcome at this church. She and her husband converted to Catholicism in 2012.

Ahh... now it made sense. Good for her (and her husband/children).

In any event, my suggestion is, go see this movie, and bring a friend along.
I have read some criticism from Catholic quarters suggesting that "Unplanned" received an "R" rating as the result of a conspiratorial attempt by the MPAA to discourage people from seeing the film; however that is not my view. Sometimes, in our fallen world, we conservatives/traditionalists have a tendency to see sinister intentions where none exist.

When I first heard that this film would portray simulations of the actual abortion process, I thought to myself, "Well, if they're going to do a believable act of the process, the movie will probably have to have an 'R' rating; anything less would be a toning down."
And so before seeing the film, I went on a movie website and saw that the rating was indeed an 'R', the first time a Pure Flix production has received such a rating.

And I do believe the rating was appropriate; as an adult in his 40s who has seen the typical wide range of violence common in secular cinema, I wept through almost this entire movie (as I did through "The Passion of the Christ")-- and that is not a typical reaction from me. The scenes of abortion-- both when Abby has her bloody "chemical" abortion at home and when she participates in a "medical" abortion, with the ultrasound, in the Planned Parenthood clinic --were excruciating to watch.

But, I think this is an important film that should be seen-- even by younger teens, with parental supervision. I do think this movie could help dissuade people from pursuing an abortion, although, unfortunately, I am not sure how much of an impact this movie will have on the die-hard "pro-choice" people, as I am guessing most of them will not go to see the movie in the first place since they can already guess that it is not going to be supportive of their agenda.