Benevacantism, Etc.
(12-15-2021, 02:49 PM)BobCatholic Wrote: I wonder if Benedict XVI can renounce his reununciation of the Petrine office and come back?
Bit of a problem in that we already have a Pope. Unless Pope Emeritus wants to shed some new light on the matter.
"Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?" On hearing this, Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."  Matthew 9:10-14
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Tax Collector's post:
  • jovan66102
(12-15-2021, 06:50 PM)The Tax Collector Wrote:
(12-15-2021, 02:49 PM)BobCatholic Wrote: I wonder if Benedict XVI can renounce his reununciation of the Petrine office and come back?
Bit of a problem in that we already have a Pope. Unless Pope Emeritus wants to shed some new light on the matter.

May not be Pope for long.  Pope Francis is rumored to be in bad health and close to dying. 

Then again, even if Pope Francis died, the Collective won't let him return.
--BobCatholic 
Then there's the other issue: If Benedict XVI resigned/abdicated/renounced the Chair of Peter thanks to the pressure of the wolves, he basically ran from the wolves like a hired hand instead of being a true shepherd. If this is the case, then there is no Benevacantism.
--BobCatholic 
[-] The following 2 users Like BobCatholic's post:
  • CatholicMamato5, jovan66102
(12-20-2021, 12:24 PM)BobCatholic Wrote: If this is the case, then there is no Benevacantism.

False.

Being a coward ≠ automatic loss of papacy.
(12-20-2021, 12:24 PM)BobCatholic Wrote: ... If Benedict XVI resigned/abdicated/renounced the Chair of Peter thanks to the pressure of the wolves....

^---Just another way of saying, "...made out of grave fear...."

In that regard, see Can. 188: "A resignation made out of grave fear that is inflicted unjustly or out of malice, substantial error, or simony is invalid by the law itself."
(12-20-2021, 05:45 PM)Bonaventure Wrote:
(12-20-2021, 12:24 PM)BobCatholic Wrote: If this is the case, then there is no Benevacantism.

False.

Being a coward ≠ automatic loss of papacy.

Being a coward = not a true shepherd.
--BobCatholic 
(12-20-2021, 09:02 PM)BobCatholic Wrote: Being a coward = not a true shepherd.

Not according to Can. 188, which specifically anticipated such situations.

Next.