How to counter people who quote passages punishing homosexuality
(03-24-2019, 12:08 AM)Blind Horus Wrote:
(03-23-2019, 04:45 PM)GRA Wrote:
Quote:
Quote:As a friend of a gay man
You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination. (Leviticus 18:22)
If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them. (Leviticus 20:13)
Leviticus is the law of the priests not the law of the regular folk like the Rule of Saint Benedict is for monks not regular folks, (so if'n you're late for verses regular folk don't have to sit in the corner and go without their wine like monks do). YMMV
GRA on second thought I should of followed the 1st rule of posting: if you really, really, really want to post something, don't. I apologize, the above is bogus. Sorry & good luck with your friend.
Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
(03-24-2019, 12:08 AM)Blind Horus Wrote: Leviticus is the law of the priests not the law of the regular folk like the Rule of Saint Benedict is for monks not regular folks, (so if'n you're late for verses regular folk don't have to sit in the corner and go without their wine like monks do). YMMV

(03-24-2019, 10:00 AM)Blind Horus Wrote: I wonder if the forbidding of mixing linen and wool  had more to do with priestly garments  then shepherd's?

The first claim is false, the second seems a bit of sarcasm based on it.

Leviticus is so called because many of the precepts are ceremonial and thus refer to the Levites (not the priests, who were a subset of the Levites : Aaron's line only). This title for this part of the Torah was given due to a rabbinical name.

The typical Hebrew name for the five parts of the Torah (which was treated as a single Law given by God), took the first word of the book. Thus Genesis was Bereshit; Exodus, Shemot; Leviticus, Wayigra; Numbers, Bemidbar; and Deuteronomy, Devarim. This original convention was because there was no inspired title given to the books and as pointed out, they were treated as a single unified law for all, some parts of which would obviously not concern some.

Thus precepts in Leviticus which were not ceremonial or restricted to a particular class certainly were universal laws. No where in the text is this suggested, nor in rabbinical practice.

The text of Leviticus makes this pretty clear it is applying to all of Israel, not just one class as you suggest, for instance in chapter 20 which includes mention of homosexual relations, it begins :
Quote:And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying: Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel: If any man of the children of Israel, or of the strangers, that dwell in Israel, give of his seed to the idol Moloch, dying let him die: the people of the land shall stone him. And I will set my face against him: and I will cut him off from the midst of his people, because he hath given of his seed to Moloch, and hath defiled my sanctuary, and profaned my holy name.

The command is to Moses to tell everyone about these laws that apply to them. It is not merely a priestly law or "Monastic Rule". The text itself belies such an interpretation.

The only correct answer to a scoffer is to say the truth : that certain of these laws are void because their purpose was fulfilled (in Christ), while others still reflect an underlying moral code, so while the thing is still wrong (and this is an argument not for Scripture to decide, since they do not accept it as an authority, but the Natural Law), the penalties enumerated no longer apply, and it belongs to the relevant authority now to determine what is a fitting penalty.
Seems like a really strange argument to be having in light of the fact that in 2019, we now have openly homosexual governors, senators, mayors of major cities, characters in virtually every running TV show. It has never been easier to be openly homosexual than it is now, and in other places in the decadent West, like the Netherlands, Sweden, UK, it's much worse. In fact, it has gotten so bad that just recently while preparing for a rosary rally for traditional marriage, I had 2 people (1 Protestant, 1 Catholic) tell me that our banner that reads "God's Plan For Marriage = 1 man +1 Woman, was too extreme and sent a message that we were looking for trouble. And this is an area that votes Republican !