Jordan Peterson: Anti-Christ?
He's not dead yet and he knows he doesn't know everything. He's managed to remind a lot of people that there's something deeper underpinning western civilization than materialism and hedonism. For that matter he appears, by any way of measuring it, to take our Faith more seriously than all the bishops of the world combined (yes, that was intentional hyperbole).

On that question though, see if you can find a diocesan bishop who will speak as forcefully on the indissolubility of marriage and monogamy. I don't know if that says more about Peterson or our bishops. That's a big part of the problem of course, in a sane world most of his ideas wouldn't be remarkable but in this insane world I'll take any ally I can find who's willing to man the barricades while the Church sorts herself out.

Consider that with absolutely zero known assistance from us in the Church Militant he's reasoned himself at least halfway into our camp. Maybe we can work toward praying him the rest of the way in.

As for this anti-Christ business, really who among us isn't all too frequently?
[-] The following 2 users Like boredoftheworld's post:
  • Fionnchu, jack89
I like Peterson.  Even though he sees many of the Biblical stories as "myths," he still holds them in very high regards and considers them truths.  I think he has a higher regard for Scripture than most of the people working in the Vatican today, including those at the highest level(s).
[-] The following 1 user Likes LionHippo's post:
  • Fionnchu
I've never listened to the guy and have only heard of him. Although I feel like I heard a lot more about him a year+ ago compared to now (maybe I'm just out of the loop?). Anyway, I don't think his incorrect theology necessarily makes him an anti-Christ. From what I can tell is that as an agnostic he's fairly sympathetic towards Christianity, he just hasn't been able to be convinced of it. One wonders that if the Catholic Faith hadn't been so watered down over the past 50 years how such men would differ in their beliefs.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612
[-] The following 1 user Likes GangGreen's post:
  • Fionnchu
We should be thankful for our Canadian Betters.
Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
(03-26-2019, 05:25 AM)LionHippo Wrote: I like Peterson.  Even though he sees many of the Biblical stories as "myths," he still holds them in very high regards and considers them truths.  I think he has a higher regard for Scripture than most of the people working in the Vatican today, including those at the highest level(s).

The problem is not really holding biblical stories to be myths, if that word is understood in it's proper sense, meaning the symbolic expression of higher spiritual truths. The problem with the kind of people like Peterson though, is that they envision such revelations not as coming from the higher, the supernatural and god, but from the sub conscious, which is below that of the normal waking consciousness of man. This makes them interpret these high spiritual truths, in terms of hidden human urges and desires, many times linked to sex, especially if they like Freud.
[-] The following 2 users Like Fallen Adam's post:
  • Augustinian, jovan66102
Jordan Peterson recovering from tranquilizer addiction in Russia

Interesting that Dr. Peterson, a Canadian, need travel to Russia to seek treatment "...after being repeatedly misdiagnosed in North American hospitals, including a clinic in New York...."
(02-09-2020, 11:06 AM)Bonaventure Wrote: Jordan Peterson recovering from tranquilizer addiction in Russia

Interesting that Dr. Peterson, a Canadian, need travel to Russia to seek treatment "...after being repeatedly misdiagnosed in North American hospitals, including a clinic in New York...."

Not to be a complete jerk, but...it looks like "Cleaning you d*mn room." is not the sufficient means of self-fulfillment. I could tell something was off when after his wife got sick, he was struggling to talk. I thought he had a neurological disorder, didn't know it was addiction.

Glad to see he's gotten treatment.
(03-28-2019, 06:45 PM)Fallen Adam Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 05:25 AM)LionHippo Wrote: I like Peterson.  Even though he sees many of the Biblical stories as "myths," he still holds them in very high regards and considers them truths.  I think he has a higher regard for Scripture than most of the people working in the Vatican today, including those at the highest level(s).

The problem is not really holding biblical stories to be myths, if that word is understood in it's proper sense, meaning the symbolic expression of higher spiritual truths. The problem with the kind of people like Peterson though, is that they envision such revelations not as coming from the higher, the supernatural and god, but from the sub conscious, which is below that of the normal waking consciousness of man. This makes them interpret these high spiritual truths, in terms of hidden human urges and desires, many times linked to sex, especially if they like Freud.

Agreed with FallenAdam, that's pretty much what I came here to say. I also don't like the term "mere myth" since myths are one of the most powerful things in existence, they shape our perception of the world at a fundamental level. There's also no reason to say that just because something is a myth it must be not true or real, I think viewing it like that misses the point.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Florus's post:
  • jovan66102
(02-09-2020, 11:06 AM)Bonaventure Wrote: Jordan Peterson recovering from tranquilizer addiction in Russia

I didn't know this, will have to pray for him, It's like Dr Phil used to say, I don't ask myself why, but considering the circumstances why not, in the same way, going through what Dr Peterson has gone through standing up to a lot of this PC stuff, carrying a Cross without Christ, I don't ask myself why he would have anxiety, I ask myself why not, a Cross without Christ is unbearable.

So lets pray for him, and as for the OP no he is definitely not the Anti Christ.

God Bless You
Until recently I'd never heard or read anything about Dr. Peterson.  From what I gather he's at least helping today's youth think about some of the bigger things in life.  His whole "clean your room" thing seems a bit dumb, but if he's trying to get youth to be mature and take responsibility for something it's not so bad.  He's not a Christian to my knowledge but who cares,  he's at least not explicitly anti- Christ as far as I know.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon