Priest Suspended - and to be Excommunicated - for Orthodoxy?
Please don't turn this thread into a married priest debate.
Dissolve frigus ligna super foco
large reponens atque benignius
     deprome quadrimum Sabina,
          O Thaliarche, merum diota.

Permitte divis cetera...
[-] The following 3 users Like Filiolus's post:
  • Alphonse il Segundo, MagisterMusicae, SeeTheLight
(06-29-2019, 06:43 AM)Markie Boy Wrote: Support is not all about money - but more about moral and personal.  It's just an element that I think the Catholic Church is missing, and paying the price for.

I think this man is a great example of what an addition to the Church it could be.  Wouldn't you take another 100 priests like this?

And there are 100s of celibate trad priests who already believe this stuff, many of whom who have suffered at the hands of bishops.  Maybe you just need to become an Easterner or an Ordinariate parishioner and stop pushing for Latins to change their traditions.  It's really obnoxious.  It's apparently an obsession borne out of the terrible parish you inhabit.  Get some perspective and stop the constant harping on this.  Those of us in trad parishes don't have your hangups and we're not going to Eastern boards and telling them they need to change their traditions.
[-] The following 2 users Like mpk1987's post:
  • jovan66102, MagisterMusicae
(06-29-2019, 01:10 PM)mpk1987 Wrote:
(06-29-2019, 06:43 AM)Markie Boy Wrote: Support is not all about money - but more about moral and personal.  It's just an element that I think the Catholic Church is missing, and paying the price for.

I think this man is a great example of what an addition to the Church it could be.  Wouldn't you take another 100 priests like this?

And there are 100s of celibate trad priests who already believe this stuff, many of whom who have suffered at the hands of bishops.  Maybe you just need to become an Easterner or an Ordinariate parishioner and stop pushing for Latins to change their traditions.  It's really obnoxious.  It's apparently an obsession borne out of the terrible parish you inhabit.  Get some perspective and stop the constant harping on this.  Those of us in trad parishes don't have your hangups and we're not going to Eastern boards and telling them they need to change their traditions.

I think it's high time we decided to push mandatory celibacy in the East! We should also demand those already married immediately start practicing the Apostolic practice of perpetual continence.

While we're at it, we should demand that they use only the Roman Canon and unleavened bread, and give Communion only under the species of bread.

Oh, and no beards either.

Who's with me?

... hello?
[-] The following 4 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • Alphonse il Segundo, BC, Filiolus, jovan66102
(07-01-2019, 03:31 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: and unleavened bread

They don't use unleavened bread? :O I had never heard of this before.

God Bless
(07-01-2019, 03:31 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote:

Who's with me?

I'll join you.  I'd consider it a welcome change of events here at FE to counteract the submarining Easterners who stealthily raise to the surface in countless threads, fire off their torpedos against the Latin Rite, then disappear below the waves.  
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bonaventure's post:
  • Alphonse il Segundo
(07-01-2019, 04:54 AM)josh987654321 Wrote:
(07-01-2019, 03:31 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: and unleavened bread

They don't use unleavened bread? :O I had never heard of this before.

God Bless

Yep. Latins are azymites! Azymite (from Gk. azymes, unleavened bread) is a term of reproach used by the Orthodox churches since the eleventh century against the Latin Churches, who, together with the Armenians and the Maronites, celebrate the Eucharist with unleavened bread.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
(07-01-2019, 10:02 AM)Bonaventure Wrote: I'll join you.  I'd consider it a welcome change of events here at FE to counteract the submarining Easterners who stealthily raise to the surface in countless threads, fire off their torpedos against the Latin Rite, then disappear below the waves.  

I'm an Easterner and I'm also one of the staunchest defenders on FE of keeping the East out of the West (and the West out of the East).
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • mpk1987
Well, to be honest, I do not think one homily is reason enough to excommunicate anyone.  That is probably a misrepresentation of some of the facts.  I need to dig into this to get some of the facts sorted out before I can say anything really.  God bless.  Ginnyfree.
(07-01-2019, 03:49 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(07-01-2019, 10:02 AM)Bonaventure Wrote: I'll join you.  I'd consider it a welcome change of events here at FE to counteract the submarining Easterners who stealthily raise to the surface in countless threads, fire off their torpedos against the Latin Rite, then disappear below the waves.  

I'm an Easterner and I'm also one of the staunchest defenders on FE of keeping the East out of the West (and the West out of the East).

By "Easterners" I'm referring to those in schism.
Alrightie then.  I listened to the homily in question and there are problems with some of the things he said.  No doubt about that.  I also found this in 1Ptr5: "At the end of Mass, Msgr. Steenson read a letter from our bishop, His Excellency Steven Lopes. The bishop explained that the November homily — the one that had gained so much attention for its unflinching evaluation of the crisis — was, in fact, the reason for his removal. Further, the bishop explained, the homily was contrary to the teaching of the Church — he did not explain how — and that, even after a personal meeting in Houston between himself and Father Treco, Father refused to recant what he had said. The bishop’s letter then announced that Fr. Treco has been removed as parochial administrator of the Church of St. Bede and that Msgr. Steenson had been assigned as parochial administrator pro tempore."  That explains what happened.  But my first impression of the homily and some of the incitements he attempts are a bit distressing.  I'd think Can. 1373 may apply - "Can. 1373 A  person who publicly, incites his or her subjects to hatred or animosity against the Apostolic See or the Ordinary, because of some act of ecclesiastical authority or ministry, or who provokes the subjects to disobedience against them, is to be punished by interdict or other just penalties."  http://www.intratext.com/IXT/ENG0017/_P51.HTM

[/url][url=http://www.intratext.com/IXT/ENG0017/S5.HTM]
And I also think that because he was warned and suspended and didn't retract things he was asked to, Can. 1371.2 also applies - "Can. 1371 The following are to be punished with a just penalty: .....1371.2 a person who in any other way does not obey the lawful command or prohibition of the Apostolic See or the Ordinary or Superior and, after  being warned persists in disobedience"  So, there ya have it folks the Bishop has some good cause for his actions and the priest in question needs to address all the Bishop has asked him to.  If he is innocent, then he has nothing to fear.  If however, it is true that his words are meant to incite bad actions against the Church and her leaders, then he needs to repent.  IMHO there are many folks who do provoke persons to hatred for the Holy See, V2, and a whole grocery list of other issues with the Ordinary Form of the Latin Rite but here in this particular case Fr. Treco talks against V2, which the canon justly describes an ecclesial act with authority, etc. as well as constantly work to undermine the innocent faithful seeking piety trust in their priests who serve the Altar in the NO and their sacraments.  I'm with the Bishop on this one.  More folks need to see the same actions taken justly by the Bishop in their own lives.  I tire of trying to defend the Church and NO against all their hatred for the sacred ministers and their ministry itself.  To me, the Canons I just used apply to them as well.  God bless.  Ginnyfree.