Aquinas Catena Aurea Thoughts?
I came across this set of books. Looks like great material for a deeper understanding of the gospels.

Does anybody own or have read through this, if so what are your thoughts?

Mods please move if this is in the wrong section thanks.

A summary:

Quote:St. Thomas Aquinas' Catena Aurea is the masterpiece anthology of Patristic commentary on the Gospels and includes the work of over eighty Church Fathers. 

Imagine a round-table discussion of the Gospels among the supreme theologians of the Church. The Catena Aurea is very close! St. Thomas Aquinas compiled this opus from sermons and commentaries on the Gospels written by the early Church Fathers, arranging their thoughts in such a way that they form a continuous commentary on each Gospel. For each of the four Gospel writers, the Catena Aurea starts by indicating the verses to be analyzed, then taking each verse phrase-by-phrase, provides the early Fathers' insights into the passage.

In the modern world, the Catena Aurea is of immense use to priests writing homilies, in the private study of the Gospels, family reading, and is full of thought for those who are engaged in religious instruction. It is the perfect companion to study the Scriptures in detail and receive the wisdom of our Church Fathers. The Catena Aurea is the only work that St. Thomas Aquinas was known to carry around with him. 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"The Eucharist is the Sacrament of Love; it signifies love, It produces love. The Eucharist is the consummation of the whole spiritual life." -St. Thomas Aquinas

“To be tempted is a sign that the soul is very pleasing to the Lord.” St. Padre Pio
[-] The following 1 user Likes SeeTheLight's post:
  • XavierSem
Excellent! You can never go wrong with the Angelic Doctor and the Fathers! 
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 2 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • SeeTheLight, XavierSem
It's well worth it, Aquinas compiles commentaries on the Gospels from the major Church Fathers. I've read selections from it, and they were excellent.
And I understood that man can find no reason of all those works of God that are done under the sun: and the more he shall labour to seek, so much the less shall he find: yea, though the wise man shall say, that he knoweth it, he shall not be able to find it. -Ecclesiastes 8:17
[-] The following 2 users Like Augustinian's post:
  • SeeTheLight, XavierSem
Thanks for the comments I'll definitely have to put this on my list. I was filled with excitement when I came across this.
"The Eucharist is the Sacrament of Love; it signifies love, It produces love. The Eucharist is the consummation of the whole spiritual life." -St. Thomas Aquinas

“To be tempted is a sign that the soul is very pleasing to the Lord.” St. Padre Pio
It's an amazing resource.  Mix that with the Cornelius a Lapide commentaries and you're good to go.
[-] The following 2 users Like MacPasquale's post:
  • SeeTheLight, XavierSem
I might have to move this one up on the list it sounds great!

Anybody else that has thoughts/opinions are welcome.

God Bless

[-] The following 1 user Likes SeeTheLight's post:
  • XavierSem
There's a version for ipads and android smartphones, too, an app entitled Catena.
Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most precious blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said Throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in Purgatory. Amen.
[-] The following 2 users Like dahveed's post:
  • SeeTheLight, XavierSem