Francis Polemicizes Against "Parrot Prayer"
So, we've been doing it wrong for centuries, until Francis sets us straight?

From Gloria.tv

During his April 4 morning homily, Pope Francis attacked those who pray the Our Father for others.

People with problems tell us sometimes to pray, Francis explained, “Yes, yes, I will say two Our Fathers and two Hail Marys." But Francis called this a “parrot prayer” which is “not acceptable.”

As a hazy alternative he proposed a prayer “with the Lord”, “with courage,” and doing “everything I can.”

The pro-mass-immigration Italian president Sergio Mattarella assisted privately at Francis’ Mass.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
(04-04-2019, 05:59 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: So, we've been doing it wrong for centuries, until Francis sets us straight?

From Gloria.tv

During his April 4 morning homily, Pope Francis attacked those who pray the Our Father for others.

People with problems tell us sometimes to pray, Francis explained, “Yes, yes, I will say two Our Fathers and two Hail Marys." But Francis called this a “parrot prayer” which is “not acceptable.”

As a hazy alternative he proposed a prayer “with the Lord”, “with courage,” and doing “everything I can.”

The pro-mass-immigration Italian president Sergio Mattarella assisted privately at Francis’ Mass.
maybe Pope Francis is taking cues from Sam Neill--

"Somewhere to meet, to sing, to talk, to be quiet, to debate, to laugh, to perform, to get to know one another, to listen. Somewhere without hierarchy but rather fellowship. Somewhere without any particular creed, and that embraces all our cultures. Somewhere to believe, or not, as you wish. A place full of life; with theatres, meeting halls, even prayer rooms … a dynamic social hub."

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/christchu...al-must-go
Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
Edit: I've decided to leave my comments out on this one. God Bless
"The Eucharist is the Sacrament of Love; it signifies love, It produces love. The Eucharist is the consummation of the whole spiritual life." -St. Thomas Aquinas

“To be tempted is a sign that the soul is very pleasing to the Lord.” St. Padre Pio
In my own prayer life, I have struggled with a sense of "parroting" prayers, where the mind sort of slips into autopilot and what is sacred seems like humdrum monotony. I'm not talking mental distraction or the mind wandering, but a kind of automata mode where I hear myself praying but am not really present or involved in a deep, sincere way. When praying for someone else in this way, it's very easy---too easy---there is charity in the fact that I have bothered praying for someone, but it stops there: the words practically say themselves and I can rest contented that I have prayed for someone. But what if intercession can be more, and what if the intercessory prayers of saints and Biblical prophets show us another way?

I do not know if this is what Francis means, but I myself have been complacent, for long spans, with this kind of prayer life, even when praying for others, which should be a spritual work of mercy in which Christian charity is present.

Francis is addressing Catholics, and I think these problems are something that many face in their prayer lives. If you read his extended remarks, he does not attack the use of these prayers themselves but praying them in a certain way. As an alternative, he presents "parrhesia" as demonstrated through the intercessory prayer of Biblical worthies, like Moses.

Traditionalists seem to often start from the conclusion that the Holy Father is wrong or opposed to the Faith and its practice as it has been handed down to us, and then, in the most sensational and uncharitable way imaginable, construe his words to support this conclusion. This is a basic failure to engage the Church's ordinary magisterium, turning homilies into causes for scandal.
[-] The following 3 users Like Cyriacus's post:
  • Augustinian, Catherine, Florus
Rainbow 
The Our Father comes directly from Christ.  Directly.
The Hail Mary comes from the Bible.
Seems like both are well sourced, so Francis can go hang out with his "friends" :romantic:   I do not see a romantic gondola ride with Bishops and Seminarians, so this one will have to do.
[-] The following 2 users Like MaryTN's post:
  • jovan66102, SeeTheLight
So you take all night to pray 500 Hail Marys or maybe all night just to pray ten, so with prayers being the coin of the realm that would be 500 brown pennies or 10 gold sovereigns, but either way you can count on Mary thanking you for them. But what to pray for? How can anyone ever know for sure? The way I've seen it is - let's say someone's mother has died and they're heart broken, and in tears, looking at the sky, pleading, and then they see a star twinkle, and for some reason that star stands out among all the other stars in heaven, and becomes a solace. Well, who knows the mind of God? Could on the morning of creation that particular star was destined by God to twinkle at that particular moment for that particular person? If so, how can anyone ever be sure what the right thing to pray for is, (either for yourself or for someone else)? I think only Heaven knows, so pray, pray, pray.
Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
Francis is as Catholic as Martin Luther...probably a little less. I "parrot" my rosary every day and one of the intentions is an end to this apostate anti-christ papacy
[-] The following 2 users Like Eddo36's post:
  • Bonaventure, jovan66102
I 'parrot' the St Michael prayer several times a day for the intention that Francis and all those Bishops and clergy who have fallen away from the Faith will be converted and return.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 3 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • CaptCrunch73, dahveed, SeeTheLight