Using God's Name Wrong
So - I was at a Church dinner, and sitting by the priest and another man.  The man used God's name wrong, priest says nothing.  When it sounded like he was going to do it again I stopped him and explained we need to keep His Name Holy.

Uncomfortable, but I couldn't stand it in Church of all places.

When I later talked to the priest he said he didn't correct the man because he's a "good moral man".  Huh?

Am I crazy?  Did I do something wrong??  To me good, moral men, don't use God's name wrong.
I've noticed with some people they will try to provoke you by swearing, and with others, it's just a habit.
Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
When someone says "Jesus Christ" just say "Have Mercy On Us". I did this a few months ago and the guy who said it, looked confused and said "what ?" so I said "you said Jesus Christ, and I said Have Mercy On Us". He still looked confused.
[-] The following 4 users Like Eric F's post:
  • dahveed, For Petes Sake, In His Love, JacafamalaRedux
(04-05-2019, 12:55 PM)Eric F Wrote: When someone says "Jesus Christ" just say "Have Mercy On Us". I did this a few months ago and the guy who said it, looked confused and said "what ?" so I said "you said Jesus Christ, and I said Have Mercy On Us". He still looked confused.

That is the most AWESOME way to handle this I have ever heard!  It's not confrontational, but really makes one think!

God Bless!
(04-05-2019, 06:44 AM)Markie Boy Wrote: So - I was at a Church dinner, and sitting by the priest and another man.  The man used God's name wrong, priest says nothing.  When it sounded like he was going to do it again I stopped him and explained we need to keep His Name Holy.

Uncomfortable, but I couldn't stand it in Church of all places.

When I later talked to the priest he said he didn't correct the man because he's a "good moral man".  Huh?

Am I crazy?  Did I do something wrong??  To me good, moral men, don't use God's name wrong.
I'm glad you said something.

God Bless
"The Eucharist is the Sacrament of Love; it signifies love, It produces love. The Eucharist is the consummation of the whole spiritual life." -St. Thomas Aquinas

“To be tempted is a sign that the soul is very pleasing to the Lord.” St. Padre Pio
(04-05-2019, 12:55 PM)Eric F Wrote: When someone says "Jesus Christ" just say "Have Mercy On Us". I did this a few months ago and the guy who said it, looked confused and said "what ?" so I said "you said Jesus Christ, and I said Have Mercy On Us". He still looked confused.

I've gotten into the habit of whispering this or mentally saying it. It gets tiring being around coworkers who use the Holy Name as an expletive almost constantly.
It's really depressing that the name which is supposed to make men kneel has been disparaged to the point of being used as a curse word than a blessing. Unfortunately, I still catch myself thinking it in times of duress out of habit.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4
[-] The following 2 users Like Augustinian's post:
  • Florus, SeeTheLight
It sounds braggadocious but when people who know me (some of them are pretty rough folk) begin to swear they stop (mostly) when I'm around. The trick is to set an example (be prepared for years of provocation though) which will eventually lead to respect. A tough row to hoe yet well worth it.
Blind Horus won this round of "You Betta Your Life". Contrary to what the graphic above says, the secret woid was "TRICK."
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 1 user Likes VoxClamantis's post:
  • Blind Horus
(04-05-2019, 06:41 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote: Blind Horus won this round of "You Betta Your Life". Contrary to what the graphic above says, the secret word was "TRICK."

:cool: cool