New York Post’s front page calls out Rep. Ilhan Omar’s 9/11 comments: ‘Here’s your so
(Yesterday, 04:08 PM)Cyriacus Wrote: Here's what Rep. Omar said:

Quote:Here's the truth. For far too long we have lived with the discomfort of being a second-class citizen. Frankly, I'm tired of it. And every single Muslim in this country should be tired of it. CAIR was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that some people did something and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties.

That's her point: just because some Muslims committed a very grave crime does not mean that Americans should allow Muslims generally to be deprived of their liberties. Her language is suited to her rhetorical thrust and does not, in itself, minimize the severity of 9/11. How would you expect a Muslim American, speaking about the fight against the curtailment of liberties after 9/11, to frame her case? Some people, yes, did something, but it would be wrong to impugn or scrutinize all Muslims.

It is uncharitable to contort someone's words so as to maximize their potential to outrage, and I suspect the reason this "gotcha" was done to Rep. Omar was her previous stand against the Israel Lobby.

Maybe it doesn't bother you but 9/11 being glossed over bothers other people including me. If she simply showed respect in her word choice it wouldn't be a big deal. I've not seen decline in civil liberties if anything I've seen companies accommodate even more. In fact I was in an office the other day that they built a brand new prayer room special for Islamic folks complete with a foot washing station. This has nothing to do with other folks simply her word choice in how she chooses to address an audience and those 'some people that did something' killed 3000 people not that it matters right?

Let's not forget about those brave Americans that took that plane down that was headed for the white house also.
"The Eucharist is the Sacrament of Love; it signifies love, It produces love. The Eucharist is the consummation of the whole spiritual life." -St. Thomas Aquinas

“To be tempted is a sign that the soul is very pleasing to the Lord.” St. Padre Pio
[-] The following 1 user Likes SeeTheLight's post:
  • jovan66102
But don't your worry, Muslims are oppressed and maligned in America.

*Looks at neighborhood adjacent to parent's home which is unofficially nicknamed "Little Palestine" due to its bountiful ME restaurants and growing ME population, with one of the largest mosques in the area. Before the ME demographic came it was Italian, Irish and German-Americans. Surrounding communities are mostly white and blue-collar. No incident of hate crimes from my memory. Yep. Oppressed and maligned.*
Unfortunately I don't have any "fun facts" about me unless being a practicing Catholic counts.

Trying to get better every day week.