Stations Of The Cross And Abuses
It's one of my favorite devotions, but it seems to be a favorite of those attempting to further agendas by adding their own modernist progressive beliefs, not to mention trying to become more like the Protestant sects. I remember a few years ago, I went to confession and this kindly old priest told me for my penance to say the stations of the cross WITH the 15th station. I said the traditional stations without the 15th. Now I know some neo-Catholic types would say, "then you really didn't say your penance", but such folks will be convinced of anything told to them by someone in authority. In my years away from the church, when I bounced around Protestant denominations, I noticed how often the claim was made that Catholics really tend to ignore the Resurrection and fixate on the Crucifixion. I was told that this was the reason Catholics were such joyless people. The reality though is that  that many Protestants are uncomfortable with Christ's Passion, just as many modern Catholics are.
[-] The following 2 users Like Eric F's post:
  • jovan66102, Zedta
Refer to the thread on the faux 'Luminous Mysteries'. One more example of the 'Permanent Revolution' of the Spirit of Vatican II. Keep 'em guessing what's coming next and the Faith will be lost.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • Eric F
I actually didn't know about the 15th station and it seems with some quick reading the 14 stations were set by pope Clement the XII in 1730?

What was the reason the 15th station wasn't included and how long had it been included before this if at all? Just inquiring since I do not know.

Edit: I'm also reading that in early church times there were as many as 37 stations at one point.

I for one embrace Christ's passion.

God Bless
[Image: 4633f14c73608e9b45cdfbd6dfc697c6.jpg]
"The Eucharist is the Sacrament of Love; it signifies love, It produces love. The Eucharist is the consummation of the whole spiritual life." -St. Thomas Aquinas

“To be tempted is a sign that the soul is very pleasing to the Lord.” St. Padre Pio
[-] The following 1 user Likes SeeTheLight's post:
  • Eric F
Just do search on Social Justice Stations Of The Cross, and you can see any number of deviations where the focus changes from everything from climate change to the minimum wage to sex discrimination. 

I could be wrong, but I think the 15th station idea comes out of the new Paschal Mystery theology that's been pushed heavily since V2.
Here's a good article from 2009 that seems to cover the history well at a high level.

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/amp/n...th_century

God Bless
"The Eucharist is the Sacrament of Love; it signifies love, It produces love. The Eucharist is the consummation of the whole spiritual life." -St. Thomas Aquinas

“To be tempted is a sign that the soul is very pleasing to the Lord.” St. Padre Pio
Quote:I was told that this was the reason Catholics were such joyless people. The reality though is that  that many Protestants are uncomfortable with Christ's Passion, just as many modern Catholics are.

Fear of the Cross. A particularly odious representation of this is the "Resurrection Crucifix". 

I think this is also indicative of our fear of suffering. There was another thread here a week or two ago in which a user contrasted 19th century devotional art with older iconography, the former being rosy-cheeked with an abundance of harmless children, flowers, etc., and that later being more manly, with a full grown Jesus. I think that there is this implicit assumption that religion makes us happy, which is true, but confuses happiness for a pain-free life of prosperity.

The Cross is a stumbling block.
"Nowadays there are even men who cut their hair to free themselves of the weight of it and they also shave their cheeks. Clearly such men have become slaves of luxurious living and are completely enervated, men who can endure being seen as womanish creatures, hermaphrodites, something which real men would avoid at all costs. How could hair be a burden to men? Unless, of course, one should say that feathers are a burden to birds also." M. Rufus
Along with the Social Justice Stations, we now also, thanks to JPII, have the Scriptural Stations, which should be considered downright offensive by all Catholics. When the 4th station " Jesus meets his mother" has to be replaced in order to try and appease Protestants, that pretty much sums it up.
[-] The following 2 users Like Eric F's post:
  • jovan66102, SeeTheLight
(04-13-2019, 06:36 PM)Eric F Wrote: Along with the Social Justice Stations, we now also, thanks to JPII, have the Scriptural Stations, which should be considered downright offensive by all Catholics. When the 4th station " Jesus meets his mother" has to be replaced in order to try and appease Protestants, that pretty much sums it up.

I’m sad to say that is just one of many of John Paul II’s offensive innovations.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Credidi Propter's post:
  • jovan66102
(04-13-2019, 03:31 PM)Eric F Wrote: It's one of my favorite devotions, but it seems to be a favorite of those attempting to further agendas by adding their own modernist progressive beliefs, not to mention trying to become more like the Protestant sects. I remember a few years ago, I went to confession and this kindly old priest told me for my penance to say the stations of the cross WITH the 15th station. I said the traditional stations without the 15th. Now I know some neo-Catholic types would say, "then you really didn't say your penance", but such folks will be convinced of anything told to them by someone in authority. In my years away from the church, when I bounced around Protestant denominations, I noticed how often the claim was made that Catholics really tend to ignore the Resurrection and fixate on the Crucifixion. I was told that this was the reason Catholics were such joyless people. The reality though is that  that many Protestants are uncomfortable with Christ's Passion, just as many modern Catholics are.

I feel ya. This friday I made the mistake of going to my non SSPX church for the stations of the cross and every I mean EVERY station had some social justice BS as the meditation. Station 5 was about "fair wealth redistribution"  "fair trade" etc. The station where Jesus meets his mother was about feminism and asked for "forgiveness for not allowing womyn fully into the church"
(04-14-2019, 08:55 AM)Eddo36 Wrote:
(04-13-2019, 03:31 PM)Eric F Wrote: It's one of my favorite devotions, but it seems to be a favorite of those attempting to further agendas by adding their own modernist progressive beliefs, not to mention trying to become more like the Protestant sects. I remember a few years ago, I went to confession and this kindly old priest told me for my penance to say the stations of the cross WITH the 15th station. I said the traditional stations without the 15th. Now I know some neo-Catholic types would say, "then you really didn't say your penance", but such folks will be convinced of anything told to them by someone in authority. In my years away from the church, when I bounced around Protestant denominations, I noticed how often the claim was made that Catholics really tend to ignore the Resurrection and fixate on the Crucifixion. I was told that this was the reason Catholics were such joyless people. The reality though is that  that many Protestants are uncomfortable with Christ's Passion, just as many modern Catholics are.

I feel ya. This friday I made the mistake of going to my non SSPX church for the stations of the cross and every I mean EVERY station had some social justice BS as the meditation. Station 5 was about "fair wealth redistribution"  "fair trade" etc. The station where Jesus meets his mother was about feminism and asked for "forgiveness for not allowing womyn fully into the church"

What I'm seeing from a masonic\judeo-atheist poster on an far-left leaning website I visit is: any resistance against social-justice is anti-semitism, so as the pope recently said that Jesus self-abasted Himself as also should we, yet, subtly, all be it the same, twisting  the meaning to fit you-know-what, ( catch my drift?)...I would say to Pope Francis: do not debast your church in this way, it's not martyrdom, it's heresy.

Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!