Is smoking cigarettes a sin?
I'd just like to ask. I am not very religious but I came from a very religious family. They condemn me from smoking because I am the only one who smokes in the family. I smoke when I want to and it is not harmful for my family. I always go outside the house just to smoke. I never smoked in front of them because I respect them a lot. If smoking a sin, I'd like to know. I'd have a lot more motivation to stop. Thank you.
I hope not, I had one hanging in my mouth when I saw this topic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes redneckpride4ever's post:
  • Augustinian
It's like anything else. Not sinful in and of itself in moderation, but like alcohol or any other addictive substance it can turn into a vice which leads to sin. As in committing sin to continue your vice.
And I understood that man can find no reason of all those works of God that are done under the sun: and the more he shall labour to seek, so much the less shall he find: yea, though the wise man shall say, that he knoweth it, he shall not be able to find it. -Ecclesiastes 8:17
Dont see how you are not breaking any commandment
I am certain that a priest is best qualified to answer this. Being a former smoker myself, and a heavy one at that..with all the harm it does to one, how can it not be a sin? We know about the lung damage and other issues, how does this not fall under the 5th commandment ?
afraidsmiley This horse has been beaten to death before.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'