Notre Dame Cathedral Is On Fire
Horrible news https://www.rt.com/news/456608-notre-dam...ire-paris/

Christ have mercy !
Just saw this Horrible.

Pray for them and I hope it wasn't arson.
"The Eucharist is the Sacrament of Love; it signifies love, It produces love. The Eucharist is the consummation of the whole spiritual life." -St. Thomas Aquinas

“To be tempted is a sign that the soul is very pleasing to the Lord.” St. Padre Pio
I just saw this and was about to post the same thing.  How horrible!

Hopefully it was an accident related to construction (not that I wish anything like this) and not arson.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
Hopefully now they will finally restore the place. When I visited last spring, there was some scaffolding but no work was being done. And it hasn't been done for well nigh 150 years. Pieces of stonework were falling from the facade, and signs were posted alerting visitors to the fatal danger. Acquaintances in the cultural sector told me that the hope is that some American billionaire will pay to restore it in some gesture of benefaction.

Part of the reason no work has been done is because closing the church means a loss of tourism. Things are now so bad that buttresses are in danger of collapsing outright, and the cathedral routinely tops lists of endangered cultural sites, in spite of being in a world-class city in a wealthy country.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-new...180964719/

If the fire is the work of Ahmed, Muhammad, Mahmud, and the rest of the gang, and if the damage actually provides the rationale to finally restore the Cathedral, Christendom will owe the Muslims a certain debt of gratitude.
(04-15-2019, 02:03 PM)Cyriacus Wrote: Hopefully now they will finally restore the place. When I visited last spring, there was some scaffolding but no work was being done. And it hasn't been done for well nigh 150 years. Pieces of stonework were falling from the facade, and signs were posted alerting visitors to the fatal danger. Acquaintances in the cultural sector told me that the hope is that some American billionaire will pay to restore it in some gesture of benefaction.

Part of the reason no work has been done is because closing the church means a loss of tourism. Things are now so bad that buttresses are in danger of collapsing outright, and the cathedral routinely tops lists of endangered cultural sites, in spite of being in a world-class city in a wealthy country.

If the fire is the work of Ahmed, Muhammad, Mahmud, and the rest of the gang, and if the damage actually provides the rationale to finally restore the Cathedral, Christendom will owe the Muslims a certain debt of gratitude.
Can they afford to repair it? From an article I read it has been in a state of disrepair for years and the diocese had to raise funds to do the little they are doing now.
(04-15-2019, 02:33 PM)Eddo36 Wrote: Can they afford to repair it? From an article I read it has been in a state of disrepair for years and the diocese had to raise funds to do the little they are doing now.

Not to sidetrack, but I thought the cathedral was owned by the French state, something that came about from the French revolution.

Regardless, it brings in somewhere around 13 million visitors a year, so with the positive economic impact to the area, you'd think the state would be willing to cough up funds to repair it.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
(04-15-2019, 02:03 PM)Cyriacus Wrote: Hopefully now they will finally restore the place. When I visited last spring, there was some scaffolding but no work was being done. And it hasn't been done for well nigh 150 years. Pieces of stonework were falling from the facade, and signs were posted alerting visitors to the fatal danger. Acquaintances in the cultural sector told me that the hope is that some American billionaire will pay to restore it in some gesture of benefaction.

From the reports of the fire they may unfortunately have a clean slate to start from.
"The Eucharist is the Sacrament of Love; it signifies love, It produces love. The Eucharist is the consummation of the whole spiritual life." -St. Thomas Aquinas

“To be tempted is a sign that the soul is very pleasing to the Lord.” St. Padre Pio
(04-15-2019, 01:53 PM)Jeeter Wrote: I just saw this and was about to post the same thing.  How horrible!

Hopefully it was an accident related to construction (not that I wish anything like this) and not arson.

How the Hell would they know that before the fire's even put out and arson investigators have investigated it? French churches have been burning at a rate of about one a month lately.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
Shall we place bets on whether the social justice brigade will protest this hate crime?
"Good above all good, and Beautiful above all beautiful; peaceful repose, Peace, Concord and Union of all souls; compose the dissensions which divide us from one another, and lead them back to an union with charity, which has a kind of similitude to Thy sublime essence: and as Thou art One above all, and we, one, through the unanimity of a good mind; that we may be found before Thee simplex and not divided, whilst celebrating this mystery; and that through the embraces of Charity and bonds of Love, we may be spiritually one, both with ourselves and with one another, through that Thy Peace pacifying all; through the Grace and Compassion and Love towards man of Thine Only-begotten Son; through Whom, and with Whom is due to Thee, Glory, honour and dominion, with Thy Most Holy Spirit." - Liturgy of Dionysus
Notre-Dame Cathedral In Flames
Written by  Michael J. Matt | Editor

• Print

[Image: 105852839-1555348759830damfire.530x298.jpg]Update: Since first posting this report of the fire at Notre Dame, the situation is obviously much worse now, as the old Cathedral is burning out of control. Who or what is behind this unthinkable tragedy remains to be seen and is not for us about which to speculate. For the moment in all of its horror, we can only offer our prayers, thoughts and tears to our French brothers and sisters who, in many ways, are watching part of themselves burn to the ground. Along with them, we are devastated beyond words. Notre Dame, Reine de France, prie pour nous tous. MJM 

Breaking Now at Reuters:

A fire broke out at Notre Dame Cathedral in central Paris on Monday afternoon, a spokesman from the fire department said.
Smoke could be seen billowing out from the top of the medieval cathedral, as flames leaped out besides its two bell towers, a Reuters witness said.
A major operation was under way, the fire department added, while a city hall spokesman said on Twitter that the area was being cleared.

This story is developing. Please check back for updates.

Our Lady, Queen of France, defend and protect the poor and suffering "eldest daughter" of your Son's Church.  God help us all. 
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'