Sedevacantist Definition?
Can somebody please tell me what exactly a sedevacantist is? Do the SSPX and SSPV fall under this category?

I can't find any unbiased sources haha

St. Mary of Egypt, Ora Pro Nobis!

(04-16-2019, 11:36 AM)SacraCor714 Wrote: Can somebody please tell me what exactly a sedevacantist is? Do the SSPX and SSPV fall under this category?

One who believes the See of Peter is vacant, in other words, that there is currently no Pope. The SSPX does not fall in that category; I believe the SSPV do. Most of them would say that there hasn't been a Pope since John XXIII.
The term "sedevacantist" stems from the Latin phrase "sede vacante" or "the chair is empty." The belief of sedevacantists is that there has not been a validly appointed Pope since Pius XII (some accept John XXIII) and therefore the chair of Peter is empty. This also means that they reject all doctrines that have been instituted by these supposed "apostate Popes." Many sedevacantists utilize Church dogmas and documents to support their view, but in reality they are schismatics.
The SSPX and SSPV are simply traditionalist sects of Catholicism with dubious union to Rome. As of right now, I believe Pope Francis has been friendly to the SSPX, but I know little of SSPV.
And I understood that man can find no reason of all those works of God that are done under the sun: and the more he shall labour to seek, so much the less shall he find: yea, though the wise man shall say, that he knoweth it, he shall not be able to find it. -Ecclesiastes 8:17
(04-16-2019, 11:36 AM)SacraCor714 Wrote: Can somebody please tell me what exactly a sedevacantist is? Do the SSPX and SSPV fall under this category?

My parish (chapel) is SSPX, so therefore I am totally unbiased (sarcasm). I am not a sede, not one of the priests is a sede. Pope Francis has a picture hanging on the wall near the entrance of the chapel.

So.... no. Not sedes.
"Nowadays there are even men who cut their hair to free themselves of the weight of it and they also shave their cheeks. Clearly such men have become slaves of luxurious living and are completely enervated, men who can endure being seen as womanish creatures, hermaphrodites, something which real men would avoid at all costs. How could hair be a burden to men? Unless, of course, one should say that feathers are a burden to birds also." M. Rufus
[-] The following 2 users Like Alphonse il Segundo's post:
  • Augustinian, jovan66102