My son seems to be afraid of crucifixes
Has anyone else encountered this? My three year old is often pointing to the crucifixes in the house saying, “scary Jesus!” I ask him why Jesus is scary, and he says, “Jesus has owwies!” I’ve tried explaining to him that Jesus got those owwies because he loves us and wants to help us, but he still seems very bothered by it. He’s a sensitive, empathetic child in general, and on multiple occasions has asked me to put band-aids on the crucifix. I want to turn this into an opportunity to foster a devotion to Christ in a way a three year old would understand. Any suggestions? He’s my firstborn, so I’m kind of new at this.
Poor little guy! I think I'd put some Band-Aids on Him, kiss the Wounds, and talk about what would make Jesus "feel better" -- prayer, gratitude, loving other people and doing good things, etc.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 5 users Like VoxClamantis's post:
  • Bonaventure, Catherine, catholicschoolmom, In His Love, JacafamalaRedux
Let him kiss the Crucifix. Tell him how happy it made Jesus.

I'm a catechist for the little guys at my church. We do flannelboard Gospel stories. Last time we did the crucifixion and resurrection. I like to do the two together 'cause it's a lot for those little guys to just leave Jesus in the sepulchre. Right at the part of the crucifixion, one of my littles started crying. I had to say, "No wait, the happy part is just about to happen." They're so tender. My mom said she didn't think such little ones needed to know the crucifixion story, but I can't see leaving that out. There's no Jesus without the cross. 

Something else I've noticed about the little guys... I've been teaching preschoolers in one capacity or another for many years now. The thought of leaving this world to go to heaven is pretty scary. I like to tell them how beautiful heaven is, but I don't go to great lengths about going there. In time. Not yet.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
[-] The following 3 users Like JacafamalaRedux's post:
  • Catherine, In His Love, VoxClamantis
(04-26-2019, 08:27 PM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: My mom said she didn't think such little ones needed to know the crucifixion story, but I can't see leaving that out. There's no Jesus without the cross. 

Something else I've noticed about the little guys... I've been teaching preschoolers in one capacity or another for many years now. The thought of leaving this world to go to heaven is pretty scary. I like to tell them how beautiful heaven is, but I don't go to great lengths about going there. In time. Not yet.

I feel the same way about teaching my kids- no Jesus without the cross. We haven’t really discussed death much though, and honestly I’m not sure he could really understand it. Soon maybe.

Thanks for your suggestions, ladies. He still seems concerned, but now asks to kiss the crucifix every time he lays down for bed or a nap and seems content with that. He’s still working on understanding the concept of prayer. I told him he should talk to Jesus, telling Him what he’s thankful for and asking Him for help when he’s angry or scared. He stood before the crucifix talking to Jesus about his toy cars. He was quiet for a minute, then turned to me and said, “Mommy, Jesus is broken!” I had to explain that while He listens, He rarely speaks in response the way mommy or daddy would. LOL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Catherine's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux