Praying The Office - Monastic Diurnal
I'm brand new to praying the office.  I just bought a Monastic Diurnal.  I have a question I need help with: 

How do the daily Psalms in the MD interact with the particular seasonal sections? I've been following an Ordo that I got from the website Saints Will Arise. I go to the particular day (say Tuesday after Easter) and I go to that section. However, all of a sudden I realized that I am not in the Psalter section at all. Is that correct?

Do you not use the Psalter section during Eastertide (and other seasons), and only use the Easter section? Or are they supposed to BOTH be used?

Again, how do the seasonal sections (feasts, etc) relate to the Psalter section? Thanks!
The Psalms for the Easter Octave are from Sunday, so that's the only part of the Psalter you'd use this week. The section for Tuesday after Easter only has what's proper to that day - the Antiphons at the Benedictus and Magnificat, and the Collect. Everything else this week (except the Lessons at Matins, which aren't in a Diurnal) is from Easter Sunday.
[-] The following 2 users Like Paul's post:
  • Augustinian, jovan66102
(04-25-2019, 12:42 AM)Paul Wrote: The Psalms for the Easter Octave are from Sunday, so that's the only part of the Psalter you'd use this week. The section for Tuesday after Easter only has what's proper to that day - the Antiphons at the Benedictus and Magnificat, and the Collect. Everything else this week (except the Lessons at Matins, which aren't in a Diurnal) is from Easter Sunday.

Thank you very much for the rapid response.

Is that same thing true of the other seasons, feasts, etc?
Gosh, I was doing it wrong this week then

Thank God for this thread
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'Vanity of vanities, said Ecclesiastes: vanity of vanities, and all is vanity.' - Ecclesiastes 1:2

My blog: https://slavetothesacredhe.art.blog/
(04-25-2019, 12:58 AM)Robert S. Wrote: Is that same thing true of the other seasons, feasts, etc?

The Psalter is kind of like a Common of the Season - everything on a feria is taken from it, unless something is given in the Proper of the Season for that day. The Collect is from the previous Sunday, unless the day has its own, such as every day during Lent and on the Ember Days.

For saints, it used to be that that the Sunday Psalms were always used (except at Matins for Simples), but since 1911, the ferial Psalms from the Psalter are generally used on feasts. I'm not really sure what the monastic rules on this are, as I pray a different form of the Office, but it'll tell you which Psalms to use for which classes of feasts. If it follows the 1962 Roman rules, I class feasts have Psalms from Sunday, II Class feasts have Psalms from Sunday at Lauds and Vespers but from the current feria at the little Hours, and III Class feasts have Psalms from the current feria.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
  • Robert S.
(04-25-2019, 09:28 AM)Paul Wrote:
(04-25-2019, 12:58 AM)Robert S. Wrote: Is that same thing true of the other seasons, feasts, etc?

The Psalter is kind of like a Common of the Season - everything on a feria is taken from it, unless something is given in the Proper of the Season for that day. The Collect is from the previous Sunday, unless the day has its own, such as every day during Lent and on the Ember Days.

For saints, it used to be that that the Sunday Psalms were always used (except at Matins for Simples), but since 1911, the ferial Psalms from the Psalter are generally used on feasts. I'm not really sure what the monastic rules on this are, as I pray a different form of the Office, but it'll tell you which Psalms to use for which classes of feasts. If it follows the 1962 Roman rules, I class feasts have Psalms from Sunday, II Class feasts have Psalms from Sunday at Lauds and Vespers but from the current feria at the little Hours, and III Class feasts have Psalms from the current feria.

Thank you again!