Resurrection Appearances.
There's something I'm wondering about... Do you think it's odd that Our Lord's friends didn't recognize Jesus after the resurrection? Mary magdalene thought at first He was the gardener. The disciples on the road to Emmaus didn't know who He was. Same for the disciples on the Sea of Tiberius; at first they didn't know who He was. What's with all that? I mean, I know that they all understood He'd died so it would be pretty incredible to see Our Lord standing before them but after all, they'd all been with Him for three years. Any ideas?
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
I think He obscured their perception of Him so that they wouldn't recognize Him right away. He still looked like Jesus, but prevented the apostles from making the connection through His divine will. That way, He could test their faith in the Resurrection.

Edit: "But their eyes were held, that they should not know him." -Luke 24:16

"And after that he appeared in another shape to two of them walking," -Mark 16:12

So based upon Luke and Mark, we have two possibilities (which could just mean the same method), either He suspended their recognition of Him or He changed His appearance, both of which are not implausible for a glorified body and absolutely possible for God.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

“Behold this Heart which has so loved men that It spared nothing, even going so far as to exhaust and consume Itself to prove to them Its love” - Our Lord to St. Margaret Mary

My blog: https://slavetothesacredhe.art.blog/

Malachi Martin was right.
[-] The following 3 users Like Augustinian's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux, Lavenderson, Zedta
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for those verses. It explains the situation to some extent. I think that's right.

Initially I wasn't sure if perhaps the reason they didn't recognise Christ was because it was just so far from their ability to understand Him being physically present after such a bloody and horrible death on the cross. And also perhaps because His resurrected body had somehow transformed and maybe more of the glorified divine nature shown through. But I think you have it. He hid Himself. 

I'd heard somewhere that Our Lord only showed Himself to believers after the resurrection. The guards at the sepulchre fainted when the angel rolled back the stone. So they didn't see our resurrected Lord. Everyone else in the Gospel accounts who saw Him after the resurrection were disciples, except for the 500 hundred.  It's hard to imagine every one of the  500 hundred as having been His disciples. What do you think?
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
What really cuts deep into this mystery for me is what Luke says later on in the Gospel that Augustinian posted:

Luke 24: 30 And then, when he sat down at table with them, he took bread, and blessed, and broke it, and offered it to them; 31 whereupon their eyes were opened, and they recognized him; and with that, he disappeared from their sight. 32 And they said to one another, Were not our hearts burning within us when he spoke to us on the road, and when he made the scriptures plain to us?

After all they said about Him, before He joined them, that was so disjointed and incorrect about Jesus even though, they had obviously been there and seen it all and didn't GET IT!!!

This one occurrence in the Gospels (I especially love Luke's Gospel rendition) literally gives me goosebumps every time I read it!!! How so much are we humans today, like the two on the road to Emmaus? Witnesses, yet without knowledge of what we have seen!
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out

A democracy which makes or even effectively prepares for modern, scientific war must necessarily cease to be democratic. No country can be really well prepared for modern war unless it is governed by a tyrant, at the head of a highly trained and perfectly obedient bureaucracy
Huxley

The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything  
Einstein

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain
[-] The following 2 users Like Zedta's post:
  • Augustinian, JacafamalaRedux
There's another example of Christ making himself unknown to others in Luke, when He is to be cast out of Nazareth: "And they rose up and thrust him out of the city; and they brought him to the brow of the hill, whereon their city was built, that they might cast him down headlong. But he passing through the midst of them, went his way." Luke 4:29-30.

I think it's something that He frequently utilizes in order to fulfill His mission. Therefore, it's not unreasonable that He would only allow 500 disciples to see Him and no one else after the Resurrection.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

“Behold this Heart which has so loved men that It spared nothing, even going so far as to exhaust and consume Itself to prove to them Its love” - Our Lord to St. Margaret Mary

[-] The following 2 users Like Augustinian's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux, Zedta
(04-25-2019, 10:20 PM)Zedta Wrote: This one occurrence in the Gospels (I especially love Luke's Gospel rendition) literally gives me goosebumps every time I read it!!! How so much are we humans today, like the two on the road to Emmaus? Witnesses, yet without knowledge of what we have seen!

I think it's a pleasant allegory for personal faith. We may have knowledge of certain events, but it takes faith to recognize them for what they really are. At that time just after the Resurrection, the disciples had their faith shaken with the brutal death of Our Lord. So, it's not hard to imagine that they may not have recognized truth for what it was, even though they had communed with that truth previously.

[-] The following 2 users Like Augustinian's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux, Zedta
Christ hid the reality of His glory even from His Apostles, and showed it to only three on Mt Tabor. Christ hid his divinity during His Passion. He hides Himself even today under the appearance of Bread and Wine.

Christ hide Himself so we have to make acts of Faith. He shows Himself to those who can recognize Him by Faith.

One common interpretation of the reason why Christ is hidden from recognition is that these who do not recognize Him are lacking in their Faith in Him.

Mary Magdalene is the most faithful, but even she forgets about his predicted Resurrection, and is whining about where his body is. The others have lost Faith totally. He comes and restore it and they can see. This is tied in with the healing of the blind man, who asks of Our Lord, "That I may see," and is healed because of his Faith. He saw by Faith, so those who have not Faith cannot see.
[-] The following 2 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • Augustinian, JacafamalaRedux
(04-25-2019, 10:36 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: Christ hid the reality of His glory even from His Apostles, and showed it to only three on Mt Tabor. Christ hid his divinity during His Passion. He hides Himself even today under the appearance of Bread and Wine.

Christ hide Himself so we have to make acts of Faith. He shows Himself to those who can recognize Him by Faith.

One common interpretation of the reason why Christ is hidden from recognition is that these who do not recognize Him are lacking in their Faith in Him.

Mary Magdalene is the most faithful, but even she forgets about his predicted Resurrection, and is whining about where his body is. The others have lost Faith totally. He comes and restore it and they can see. This is tied in with the healing of the blind man, who asks of Our Lord, "That I may see," and is healed because of his Faith. He saw by Faith, so those who have not Faith cannot see.

I'm struck by how many times in the Gospel when Christ heals someone He always concludes the healing with some word about their faith--and also to go and sin no more.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JacafamalaRedux's post:
  • Zedta
Quote:Christ hid the reality of His glory even from His Apostles, and showed it to only three on Mt Tabor. Christ hid his divinity during His Passion. He hides Himself even today under the appearance of Bread and Wine.

How do I get faith? Do I just make the Act of Faith and believe? (Everything we had explained in the other thread taken as granted, i.e. the Faith is shown to be reasonable, not contradictory or incoherent, and then the testimony of miraculous events like the Resurrection and other phenomena)
(04-26-2019, 10:20 AM)Alphonse il Segundo Wrote: How do I get faith? Do I just make the Act of Faith and believe? (Everything we had explained in the other thread taken as granted, i.e. the Faith is shown to be reasonable, not contradictory or incoherent, and then the testimony of miraculous events like the Resurrection and other phenomena)

If you think it's something you ought to have, but you know you don't have it, you can probably only get it by asking God to give it to you.
I have resigned myself to the reality that I shall have no peace or joy should I continue to exist for eternity.  The question of deism or Christianity no longer matters.  I hope that Christianity is a farce, and that when I die, my consciousness will cease to exist.  In the meantime, I ask the Theotokos to be at my side at my judgement and ask her to intercede to, as I beg, Christ to have mercy on me and to allow me to cease to exist when I die.
[-] The following 2 users Like Melkite's post:
  • Augustinian, Zedta