Zedta, Keto?
What are we to think about Keto? I mean a healthy version of keto where vegetables aren't restricted. It seems like science lines up with it, but as a Catholic it makes me wince. What of bread and wine, which for us are the holiest of foods? Right? Because Our Lord chose them to become the hosts for his Body, Blood Soul and Divinity. I love the way Fr. Hesse used to speak about wine. But he died too young from diabetes no less. I just find this paradox difficult to reconcile. Any thoughts?
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
I don't think that the amount of wine or carbs from the host is at all significant enough to break the good effects of a Keto diet.

Personally, I eat a modified Keto diet and have been able to eventually, become a 'recovered' diabetic. Sugar and carbs are still, for me, poisons and I feel totally drained and weak after eating any of those in any moderate or large volume...ya, I do cheat on occasion.

If you want to eat well and still loose weight, try the South Beach Diet. Its a modified Atkins Diet, which is essentially a Keto diet.

In the end, however, its all about portions and when you eat. Early is better, late evening and before bedtime are no nos. Being persistent and not cheating are always key as well.

Here's a good YouTube site to get the nitty gritty of the Keto Diet:

Good luck!

:comp:
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain

You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
C.S. Lewis

Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners.
George Carlin

“In a time of deceit…truth is a revolutionary act”
George Orwell
I am a Keto believer.  However, it can be restrictive.  No bread.  No potatoes.  You have to count your carrot intake.  But, if you like eggs, meat, bacon!!, avacados, and certain veggies, it works.  Oh, and you can have fat.  Yes, real fat.  I just had whipped cream with blueberries.
The restrictive problem for me is, I hate avacados.  I am absolutely burned out on eggs.  I even overdosed on bacon (I didn't know this was possible, but, alas, it has happened).  So, mostly it is chicken and fish, veggies, plenty of olive oil, butter, and cream, cheese.    The diet even lowers your fruit intake.
But it works.  Counting calories doesn't work for me, never has.  Restricting fat intake and sodium intake doesn't work for me, never has.  Running doesn't work for me.  Atkins gave some people gad-awful breath so I never tried that one.   But Keto works.  So get a Keto cookbook and try new things, some of the recipes are actually good.  There are sugar substitutes that taste decent.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaryTN's post:
  • Zedta
I know Keto works. Firsthand. It's not that, it's the idea that bread and wine; unconsecrated regular old bread and wine are sort of holy foods, elevated by the fact that Our Lord chose them...

Something's changed. When you look at the numbers of obese people we have in our nation--and not just our nation--in our world, the numbers are on the rise. Look at pictures from people in the '50's and 60's, most are thin. Whatever they're doing to the food is making us fatter and sicker.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

One other thing about Keto. As a wife and mom caring for some extended family members I'm often cooking for ten people. It's crazy to cook keto for people who don't want to live that kind of lifestyle, not ot mention pricy. Are either of you two cooking for others? 

So my dinners are kind of schizophrenic. Two of my girls are vegetarian, I'm mainly doing Keto, but sometimes more low carb. Then I'll have something for the bread and potato bunch.

Yes, I cook for 4 of us.
For example, I made barbeque chicken the other night.  So, I pulled my portion out before I added any sauce.  I added corn muffins and cheesy potatoes for the others and added a side of steamed veggies with butter for everyone.
I can bread chicken or fish, not fried chicken breading, just a bit of panko crumbs or straight cornmeal, and then either oven or air-fry the meat.  Cabbage and bacon is well liked here and that is totally KETO (just fry up some bacon and add chopped cabbage until the bacon is done and the cabbage is wilted, salt and pepper).  Green beans with bacon.  Brocholi with cheese on top.  Salad with veggies, shredded chicken,  homemade bacon bits, sunflower seeds and shredded cheese with homemade dressing. Stuffed cabbage.
Meatloaf!  Hamburgers, but you don't eat the bun.  Make your spaghetti sauce really chunky and full of meat, then drain off most of the sauce for your serving and don't eat the pasta, just the thick sauce (kinda' like eating chili).
I almost always serve a steamed veggie and I just load my plate up with that and meat.  Remember, you can use butter or cheese on top of anything.  Cream sauces made with real cream, not the stuff out of the jar, can be used.  Gravy made with canned soups is out, you have to make your own.
If you are like me you will be afraid of all the fat, at first.  But KETO needs fat to work.
There are lots of recipes for desserts, some complicated, some are not.  My late night go-to snack is homemade whipped cream, with sugar substitute and vanilla, and some blueberries mixed in.
However, if you are using lots of casseroles I suggest you go online or get a cookbook.  The drive to consume carbs really, truly does subside after several days, not completely, but actually easy to control.  Stay away from all soda, sweet tea, bread products, potatoes, breakfast cereals - you would be amazed at the number of carbs in a bowl of cereal.
If you mess up and cheat, don't give up, just start again.
I had a really good and easy keto bread recipe... Wish I could find it again. All it was, was something like almond flour, butter and a whole mess of eggs. That's it.

(04-25-2019, 10:15 PM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: What are we to think about Keto? I mean a healthy version of keto where vegetables aren't restricted. It seems like science lines up with it, but as a Catholic it makes me wince. What of bread and wine, which for us are the holiest of foods? Right? Because Our Lord chose them to become the hosts for his Body, Blood Soul and Divinity. I love the way Fr. Hesse used to speak about wine. But he died too young from diabetes no less. I just find this paradox difficult to reconcile. Any thoughts?
Fr. Hesse had some bizarre beliefs, from what I've heard from him, but I did memorize a G.K. Chesterton poem because of him:

"Feast on wine, or fast on water, 
and your promise shall stand sure.

God Almighty's son and daughter, 
he the valiant, she the pure:

If an angel out of Heaven
offers you something else to drink,

thank him for his kind attention.
Go, and pour it down the sink."
[-] The following 1 user Likes In His Love's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux