Prayers and Suggesions Please
Hey all,

Our budget is pretty tight these days, and my husband and I have been struggling. We live in an area with very high rent and utility bills, and we also have a hefty vehicle payment every month. Also...there's a high possibility that I might be pregnant. I will know for sure in about a week. I haven't told my husband yet, but a baby is really the last thing we need right now. I'm angry because we should have been more responsible...but I'm also excited to be a mom, even though I am also really, really scared. I really don't know how we are going to make ends meet.

Please pray for us, and if you have any suggestions as to how we can stay afloat these next few months...I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!
St. Joseph, Terror of Demons, Pillar of Families, Glory of Domestic Life, Pray for Us!

When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them.
First of all, as a father of five, tentative congratulations! I want to remind you of the phrase you placed under your screen name for your posts: everything happens for a reason. I'll happily add you two to my Rosary intentions, of course. Questions, not that you need answer, except to yourself. Are there ways you can reduce expenses, or perhaps earn a bit of money on the side? Is it possible/prudent to  consider alternatives to the, as you termed it, hefty vehicle payment every month? Don't spend too much time worrying about the timing. Pray. Love each other.
Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most precious blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said Throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in Purgatory. Amen.
Adding you to my rosary intentions today :pray2:

I understand the fear involved in your situation. My husband is also a small business owner and lost his income right after we found out I was expecting our youngest. For ourselves, the easiest way we found to save money was regarding food. We stopped eating out, and DH often had sandwiches or ramen for lunch. We decreased our internet service to a cheaper plan too. If things get truly dire, perhaps you could talk to your priest- he may know of some assistance the Chuch offers to struggling families. Once the baby gets here, I highly recommend breastfeeding. Not every woman can, and that’s okay, but it’s free baby food made from your body. 

Congrats, and good luck to you!
Prayers, of course.
And babies are less expensive than you may think.  They don't need all the gadgets that everyone sells.  They need food, diapers, shelter (and they don't care if it is fancy or small and plain), a car seat, and love.  You don't need a high chair, a fancy crib(but do try to buy new since then you will have all the screws, etc., but you don't need a crib until they start rolling over, before that you can use a dresser drawer, a laundry basket, even a cardboard box).  You don't need the swing or the rocking chair or the baby bathtub or the diaper genie with its special, expensive bags.   A washing machine is good but not necessary.  Goodwill has lots of unstained baby clothes for cheap - wash them well and all will be good, babies don't care if the clothes come from a fancy baby store or not.  Noone else will know or care, either.  I used mostly hand-me-downs.  And if you have a washer, you don't need 20 different outfits.    If you are pregnant, this baby will make you both very happy.
If you have a cat and a catbox, you no longer clean the catbox, bad for pregnant mothers, toxoplasmosis (spellcheck didn't flag that one so I think it is correctly spelled).  You don't have to get rid of the cat or be afraid to pet it,  just your husband is now responsible for all catbox maintenance. 
If you can get your mind off of all the stuff you are told you need, you will feel much more relaxed about this.
Starting a new business is stressful for everyone, been there, done that.  For me and mine, it was a much better stress than working for someone else.
Is it better to keep the large truck payment or sell the truck and own something a year or two older without a payment?  Some businesses, and some markets, require a shiny new truck to prove success, sometimes it doesn't matter.  Make sure your truck insurance is adequate.  Make sure your business insurance is adequate.  Check your deductibles.  Note:  Some men, and women, have a really hard time downgrading the truck, they feel it is a big step backwards.  Think of it as a wise financial move, freeing up cash, rather than getting rid of something you like.  Check out Dave Ramsey Financial Peace, excellent advice for real people.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaryTN's post:
  • SacraCor714
Lots of good advice here, SacraCor, I honestly can't think of anything to add to it! Just wanted to chime in to assure you of my prayers and congratulate you on your marriage, as well as the potential little one. May God bless and keep you.
"..the hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world" -William Ross Wallace
Congratulations, best wishes and prayers to you and your family.

You may want to look at the book, The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey. I gave a Copt to each of my kids when they were getting started to give them guidance on financial matters
"There are in truth three states of the converted: the beginning,  the middle and the perfection. In the beginning, they experience the charms of sweetness; in the middle, the contests of temptation; and in the end, the fullness of perfection."
-- Pope St. Gregory

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
-- attributed to Saint Domenic
All children are a blessing. Never forget that. Further, not all couples are blessed with children. Count all blessings you can.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bonaventure's post:
  • Alphonse il Segundo