Is there any sin in taking someone else’s medication?
I took someone else’s Anaprox for a headache.
That’s prescription only.
Is there any sin in that?
TALK TO A PRIEST ABOUT YOUR  SCRUPULOSITY!!! 
From Wikipedia-
Scrupulosity is characterised by pathological guilt about moral or religious issues. It is personally distressing, objectively dysfunctional, and often accompanied by significant impairment in social functioning. It is typically conceptualised as a moral or religious form of obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD).
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 3 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • Augustinian, For Petes Sake, In His Love
This is a legit question.
Why would this be scrupulous?
(05-16-2019, 07:37 PM)FultonFan Wrote: This is a legit question.
Why would this be scrupulous?
Most all questions seem legitimate from a scrupulous mind, or you likely wouldn't ask them in the first place. The problem is you will never get off the treadmill of asking questions until you can be content with not having all the answers.

If you want proof, consult your post history and see how many are questions like this one.

Let's use the analogy of a chronically itchy back. You may think the itching will never go away on its own until you get it scratched, so you seek out some scratching. Then the itching comes back, so you get some more scratches from another willing helper. Eventually your back will be red and sore from constant scratching. In a similar way, your brain is "itchy" with anxiety and getting the answers to your questions is only serving to further inflame your brain by keeping you in the anxiety cycle. You need to sit and wait for the "itching," or anxiety, to pass, which means you need to let yourself be uncomfortable.

This is a battle you do not need to fight, but you do need to be persistent in avoiding the "fight" response.

Please seek help. God loves you and He wants you to be saved even more than you do!
(05-16-2019, 06:33 PM)FultonFan Wrote: I took someone else’s Anaprox for a headache.

I have never heard of Anaprox before, but did you ask them first? If not, yea it's probably a sin, a venial sin. Also not a good idea to take other peoples prescriptions, as perhaps they could have dangerous side effects on you, hence why they are prescription for said people.

God Bless You
"Behold the Heart that has so loved men that it has spared nothing, even to exhausting and consuming Itself, in order to testify Its love; in return, I receive from the greater part only ingratitude, by their irreverence and sacrilege, and by the coldness and contempt they have for Me in this Sacrament of Love. But what I feel most keenly is that it is hearts which are consecrated to Me that treat Me thus.” - St. Margaret Mary. Ignored by King of France Culminating in French Revolution.

"Charity concert at Cdl. Schonborn's Cathedral features shirtless actor dancing on Communion rail" - Dec 4, 2018

The best way to approach morals is not a checklist of sins, or "what ifs". Rather it is an examination on virtue.

We all are meant to practice all of the virtues by concrete acts. Rather than ask the question of "is this a sin" ask the question, "was that a virtuous act?" If not, then ask yourself what virtue you failed to practice.

If you can identify the virtue you failed to practice, not only do you then know if something was a sin (because any failure to practice a virtue that you by duty are obliged to practice is at least a light sin), but you also know what virtues you need to work on perfecting.

You get to see your sin, and what is the source of that sin, and also make a plan.

You also get to ask why.

If you can't find a virtue you failed to practice it is likely you are not examining yourself or understanding the virtues, or there is no sin involved. There might be imperfection, but no sin.

I don't think you have scruples, in the proper sense, but you certainly have a scrupulous conscience. It seems like you want to have a certainty about the state of your soul that God does not want us to have, for the peace of that soul. Scruples are often sourced in a hidden pride which wars against our peace of soul.

I certainly agree, however, if you are constantly asking questions like you are fond of here, you probably ought to get a regular confessor and spiritual director who can help you to temper this disorder. Part of balancing yourself out will be by acts of humility, and one of the best is to submit your judgement to a spiritual director in matters of conscience.

Regarding the original question I won't provide an answer, but I will suggest that you need to ask the why question. There's something different about having a headache and taking something for it and taking such medicine for psychotropic effect. If you suspect there was sin, what virtues did you violate?
[-] The following 1 user Likes MagisterMusicae's post:
  • FultonFan
(05-16-2019, 06:33 PM)FultonFan Wrote: I took someone else’s Anaprox for a headache.

If you took it without the permission of whoever has the prescription for it, it’s probably a venial sin. We all do lots of those, so don’t torture yourself over it. This is not the first time you have posted such a question here. We cannot help you very much here in overcoming scrupulosity. You need a qualified spiritual director to speak with in person. Jovan has also made that recommendation. The doubts and obsessions associated with scrupulosity are exhausting to endure, and you can get seriously hurt psychologically and spiritually if you do not get help or if people who don’t know what they’re doing try to help you.
Thanks all. 
I’ll stop this!
[-] The following 1 user Likes FultonFan's post:
  • In His Love
I have done this before with the permission and invitation of the holder of the prescription.  It is not a sin.

For the taking of any medication to be a sin, the following conditions have to be met:

1. It has to be reckless and uninformed. Any medication, especially prescription medication, can really do harm to your body. You should always consider this well.

2. It has to be for the wrong reason.

As long as you can be reasonably certain that you are not going to harm yourself by taking medication, then you should take it if you need it.

If you don't have a good reason to take medication, then you should not.

If you ever find yourself taking medication to feel better habitually, without any good reason for doing so, then you are sinning.  That's the only time it is a sin.  Same thing goes for alcohol.

Reasonable usage is not the same as appetite driven abuse.

Does that help at all?
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."

-Gandalf the Grey
(05-18-2019, 11:59 AM)Telchar Wrote: I have done this before with the permission and invitation of the holder of the prescription.  It is not a sin.

For the taking of any medication to be a sin, the following conditions have to be met:

1. It has to be reckless and uninformed.  Any medication, especially prescription medication, can really do harm to your body.  You should always consider this well.

2. It has to be for the wrong reason.

As long as you can be reasonably certain that you are not going to harm yourself by taking medication, then you should take it if you need it.

If you don't have a good reason to take medication, then you should not.

If you ever find yourself taking medication to feel better habitually, without any good reason for doing so, then you are sinning.  That's the only time it is a sin.  Same thing goes for alcohol.

Reasonable usage is not the same as appetite driven abuse.

Does that help at all?

It does help, thank you very much.
How about medications taken as prescribed for certain conditions?