Splintering within traditionalism?
I've been coming across a lot of confusing information regarding the SSPX lately. I can easily affirm that I support the SSPX now, but the further I delve down the rabbit hole the more I find that there are even splinter groups off of the SSPX!

Commentators like TradCatKnight do not help things, where they condemn the Society as having strayed from the vision of Archbishop Lefebvre. Then we have Bishop Williamson who has created his own offshoot of the SSPX, called the "SSPX Resistance." Not to mention the SSPV who are sedevacantists. All of which talk about a modernist corruption of the Society due to their talks with Rome.

I've got to be honest, I've been really excited to have found a traditionalist point of view that makes sense, a chapel which I've come to love, and now the seeds of confusion are being sown once again with those putting forth doubts about the Society as it stands today. But, where else is there to turn?
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

“Behold this Heart which has so loved men that It spared nothing, even going so far as to exhaust and consume Itself to prove to them Its love” - Our Lord to St. Margaret Mary
[-] The following 1 user Likes Augustinian's post:
  • XavierSem
The splinter groups are best disregarded.  Stick with the SSPX if you wish, or great groups like the ICRSS.  But steer clear of groups which view Rome somehow as the enemy and are against being in union with her.
"There are not over a hundred people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church -- which is, of course, quite a different thing." -Ven. Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

"Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity." -Fr. John Hardon, S.J.
[-] The following 4 users Like Steven's post:
  • Augustinian, HailGilbert, jovan66102, mpk1987
A lot of it has to do with what Charles Coulombe calls 'making the perfect the enemy of the good'. If you're not 'my kind' of Traditionalist, you're not really a Traditionalist.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 4 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • Augustinian, dahveed, HailGilbert, TruthWhichIsChrist
I have listened to TradCatKnight, and I think they said to not even attend the Novus Ordo, just skip Mass if that's all there is.

I can say this simply as a convert - Catholicism seems no more united than most other types of Christianity once you are inside. From the outside, sure. From the inside, not so much.

You could be an utra-Trad that denies the Novus Ordo like TradCatKnight, or you could be a Novus Ordo Charismatic that speaks in tongues and falls over resting in the "spirit", or almost anything in between.

Funny thing is, there are people really dedicated to following Jesus in both camps. They want to avoid sin, they fight for Pro-Life issues, the go to Mass regularly - good people trying to follow Jesus.

I wonder at times if we don't use the wrong measuring stick.
The Devil loves confusion.

Don't let this concern you. The "Resistance", Bishop Williamson, and the Sedevacantists are not your battle. If you need to have knock down reasons why you should have to worry, I am sorry, I can't provide that. 

All I will say is that you have a great, great grace that you can worship the Blessed Trinity in the way He has ordained. I presume that you also have a community of like minded men and women who share your convictions and Faith. That is wonderful. You don't need to have all the answers, and you never will of course. I have lived that way, and it becomes exhausting. 

Don't let internet podcasts and renegade Bishops ruin a good thing. We are members of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church, and the divisions, contentions, and internal disputes have been around since day one of the Church. But we don't break faith.

Don't trouble yourself with this too much. Devout your time to better pursuits, like prayer and spiritual reading. God will give you more light there than you could ever derive from clever arguments or hour-long internet shows. 

My two cents.
"Nowadays there are even men who cut their hair to free themselves of the weight of it and they also shave their cheeks. Clearly such men have become slaves of luxurious living and are completely enervated, men who can endure being seen as womanish creatures, hermaphrodites, something which real men would avoid at all costs. How could hair be a burden to men? Unless, of course, one should say that feathers are a burden to birds also." M. Rufus
[-] The following 6 users Like Alphonse il Segundo's post:
  • Augustinian, jack89, Markie Boy, mpk1987, SeeTheLight, XavierSem
(06-12-2019, 07:33 AM)Alphonse il Segundo Wrote: The Devil loves confusion.

Don't let this concern you. The "Resistance", Bishop Williamson, and the Sedevacantists are not your battle. If you need to have knock down reasons why you should have to worry, I am sorry, I can't provide that. 

And that's kind of what I've kind of suspected. That now I've found a place where I'm comfortable in the Church, Satan is there to try and disorient me even further to try and pull me out of the Church. When it comes down to these splinter groups, I do like some of what Bishop Williamson has to say, but I do not agree with his assessment that the Society has somehow lost it's way. Clearly nothing came of the talks with Rome, and they still have a staunch opposition to the Novus Ordo that they've always had.

You're right that I should focus more on prayer and spiritual reading, which I do make time for. I think I've just got caught up in the "drama" through YouTube sermons and conferences.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

“Behold this Heart which has so loved men that It spared nothing, even going so far as to exhaust and consume Itself to prove to them Its love” - Our Lord to St. Margaret Mary
[-] The following 1 user Likes Augustinian's post:
  • Ioannes_L
There are a number of priests that branched off from the SSPX in the early 80’s.
The manner in which they conduct themselves just proves the confusion and turmoil that comes with schism.
Some consider themselves Bishops of the “Thuc” line, or something to that effect.  Some of them recognize their fellow schismatic “Bishop” as a real Bishop, some appear not to.
Some are sedevacantis.
Some are uncertain.
Some are completely independent.
Some are part of bigger groups (e.g. SSPV).
Bottom line: stay away.
God does not approve of Rites — even those approved by the Church — done outside of the government of the Church.
If the Mass you attend isn’t in communion with the Roman Pontiff, you can’t attend, and commit a grave sin if you do attend.
I know exactly what you're saying, for I saw this first hand after one priest and several faithful left the local SSPX priory and chapels to join the so called Resistance movement.
Though I don't remember exactly the words that Father used last year during his homily, he basically said that the Society did the talkings because they can't neither leave the fight for Tradition, nor can they abandon Rome and fall into schism. He also said that those that left the Society keep disintegrating themselves, and that eventually the judgement of history would judge this.

Don't you worry about them Augustinian, for these groups are constantly and sadly departing more and more from real Tradition, and falliing more and more into real schism. Pray for them, but do not join them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ioannes_L's post:
  • Augustinian
I stay away from splinter groups. Only the SSPX has any kind of formal recognition from Rome. The other guys have jumped ship and built their own row boats as far as I'm concerned. Though there might be an exception to said rule.

I'd stay far away from TradCatKnight personally. I've taken time to listen to him and he comes across as obsessed with lesser-known and unapproved private revelation, the more fantastic the better, and conspiracy theories, the more obscure and harder to cite the better. He also talks like one of those types who have usurped the Church's magesterium in favor of their own opinions and intellect.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Some Guy's post:
  • Augustinian
(06-12-2019, 07:40 PM)Some Guy Wrote: I'd stay far away from TradCatKnight personally. I've taken time to listen to him and he comes across as obsessed with lesser-known and unapproved private revelation, the more fantastic the better, and conspiracy theories, the more obscure and harder to cite the better. He also talks like one of those types who have usurped the Church's magesterium in favor of their own opinions and intellect.

Yeah, that's definitely the impression I get from his stuff. It was very apparent when he was talking with Msgr. Perez about the Society, and at one point the Monsignor told him that there really isn't anywhere else to go in the Church if you write off the SSPX. Which is disappointing, because the things that Defeat Modernism used to put out were great but TradCatKnight seems to have just gone off the deep end.