Humans Are Growing Weird, Bone Spikes on Their Skulls. Smartphones May Be the Culprit
Well, this can't be very good an outcome from using your cellphone for excessive periods: A bony spike growing out of the base of your skull!

Gotta love it!

Keyboard Warrior

Quote:Link to Original Article

Humans Are Growing Weird, Bone Spikes on Their Skulls. Smartphones May Be the Culprit.
Laura Geggel, Associate Editor

[Image: aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1h...RvY2suanBn]

The hours we spend scrolling through our smartphones appear to be changing our skulls. This may be the reason why some people — especially the younger crowd — are developing a weird, bony spike just above their necks.

The bony skull bump — known as an external occipital protuberance — is sometimes so large, you can feel it by pressing your fingers on the base of your skull.

"I have been a clinician for 20 years, and only in the last decade, increasingly, I have been discovering that my patients have this growth on the skull," David Shahar, a health scientist at the University of The Sunshine Coast, Australia, told the BBC in a fascinating feature about the changing human skeleton.

A cause-and-effect relationship hasn't been identified, but it's possible that the spike comes from constantly bending one's neck at uncomfortable angles to look at smart devices. The human head is heavy, weighing about 10 lbs. (4.5 kilograms), and tilting it forward to look at funny cat photos (or however you spend your smartphone time) can strain the neck — hence the crick people sometimes get, known as "text neck."

Text neck can increase pressure on the juncture where the neck muscles attach to the skull, and the body likely responds by laying down new bone, which leads to that spiky bump, Shahar told the BBC. This spike distributes the weight of the head over a larger area, he said.

In a 2016 study in the Journal of Anatomy, Shahar and a colleague looked at the radiographs of 218 young patients, ages 18 to 30, to determine how many had these bumps. Regular spikes had to measure at least 0.2 inches (5 millimeters), and enlarged spikes measured 0.4 inches (10 mm).

In all, 41% of the group had an enlarged spike and 10% had an especially large spike measuring at least 0.7 inches (20 mm), the doctors found. In general, enlarged spikes were more common in males than in females. The largest spike belonged to a man, sticking out at 1.4 inches (35.7 mm).

Another study
of 1,200 individuals, ages 18 to 86, that Shahar and a co-researcher did revealed that these spikes are more prevalent in younger people. Enlarged spikes occurred in 33% of the group, but participants ages 18 to 30 years old were significantly more likely to have these spikes than the older generations, they found.

These bony spikes are likely here to stay, Shahar said. "Imagine if you have stalactites and stalagmites, if no one is bothering them, they will just keep growing," he told the BBC. Luckily, these spikes rarely cause medical issues. If you are experiencing discomfort, however, try improving your posture, he said.

Originally published on Live Science.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous that he cannot believe it exists.
J Edgar Hoover

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain
[-] The following 2 users Like Zedta's post:
  • Roger Buck, TruthWhichIsChrist
Zedta, all I saw from your post's title was, "Humans Are Growing Weird"....I'm like, yeah, so what else is new?!   Sticking tongue out at you
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
[-] The following 2 users Like JacafamalaRedux's post:
  • Roger Buck, Zedta
(06-17-2019, 09:43 PM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: Zedta, all I saw from your post's title was, "Humans Are Growing Weird"....I'm like, yeah, so what else is new?!   Sticking tongue out at you

Things have indeed 'progressed' into the weird and beyond mere high strangeness.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous that he cannot believe it exists.
J Edgar Hoover

Jessie Ventura

Mark Twain

Mark Twain
[-] The following 2 users Like Zedta's post:
  • alright, JacafamalaRedux
Fake science news!

Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

Double post.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

If cell phone use caused a bony protuberance, breviary use might have done the same thing among the clergy.
[-] The following 2 users Like TruthWhichIsChrist's post:
  • Roger Buck, Zedta
I guess my use of Irony was too less-than-obvious.
Art Bell

J Edgar Hoover

Jessie Ventura

Mark Twain

Mark Twain
Deleted
(07-05-2019, 10:40 AM)Spes_nostra Wrote:
(06-29-2019, 01:32 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: Fake science news!

Gah! I need to send that to my priest now. Two weeks ago he blasted smartphones from the pulpit and even used the word "horns"!

On the whole I agree with the general message, not necessarily as much for phones per se than for social media. I've seen it wreck my own psyche whenever I overindulge in it, and interestingly-enough (not claiming this is sufficient proof, but it is interesting) when I stopped using social media my ADHD symptoms went away...and If I begin using it again, they begin to reappear. Its use promotes vanity and narcissism (teens today, I believe, are much more narcissistic than any other generation), wrecks motivation (probably due to excess dopamine release) and reorients someone. In short, one who immerses themselves in social media immerses themselves into an artificial reality, while withdrawing from the true reality surrounding them. Growing horns, whether true or false, would only be the tip of the iceberg.
"The riddles of God are more satisfying than the solutions of man"  GK Chesterton

[-] The following 1 user Likes alright's post:
  • Zedta
(07-08-2019, 02:47 PM)alright Wrote: On the whole I agree with the general message, not necessarily as much for phones per se than for social media. I've seen it wreck my own psyche whenever I overindulge in it, and interestingly-enough (not claiming this is sufficient proof, but it is interesting) when I stopped using social media my ADHD symptoms went away...and If I begin using it again, they begin to reappear. Its use promotes vanity and narcissism (teens today, I believe, are much more narcissistic than any other generation), wrecks motivation (probably due to excess dopamine release) and reorients someone. In short, one who immerses themselves in social media immerses themselves into an artificial reality, while withdrawing from the true reality surrounding them. Growing horns, whether true or false, would only be the tip of the iceberg.

Give alright a big Way to go! 

You got the gist of the posting and if you are someone who, somehow, subconsciously, feel it may apply or affect you or perhaps you feel a tad guilty about how distracted and unconnected from the physical world you may be because of this attraction to media, then, yes you certainly may become defensive or try to minimize the true threat.
Art Bell

J Edgar Hoover

Jessie Ventura

Mark Twain

Mark Twain