Our Lady of Fatima and praying the rosary daily
(06-19-2019, 10:41 AM)Melkite Wrote:
(06-19-2019, 10:38 AM)GangGreen Wrote: I think it was Fr. Ripperger who kind of explained it as saying that the minimum amount of prayer to satisfy Divine Justice is 20 minutes... and what do you know, 1/3 of the Rosary is around 20 minutes especially if you add in additional prayers at the beginning and end, it can easily stretch to 30.

What happens if you pray for 19 minutes and 37 seconds?  Does God's wrath button not get turned off?

A little sarcastic, but I get the point. 

I think setting a time limit for minimum prayer required to appease Divine Justice really exacerbates the idea of God as a legalistic overlord. I don't like it but, I presume Father is coming from a good place. There are probably a lot of Catholics who don't feel like praying more than a few Hail Marys in the morning and maybe grace. I have no clue where he got this number from, but it is still a good idea to have something consistent in daily devotion.
(06-19-2019, 10:41 AM)Melkite Wrote:
(06-19-2019, 10:38 AM)GangGreen Wrote: I think it was Fr. Ripperger who kind of explained it as saying that the minimum amount of prayer to satisfy Divine Justice is 20 minutes... and what do you know, 1/3 of the Rosary is around 20 minutes especially if you add in additional prayers at the beginning and end, it can easily stretch to 30.

What happens if you pray for 19 minutes and 37 seconds?  Does God's wrath button not get turned off?

I agree - I think it hurts peoples credibility when they say stuff like this.  On one hand it looks very legalistic, on the other it comes off like they have a direct phone to God and they know everything.

And when you talk to non-Catholics and they quote stuff like this you have zero ground to defend.
(06-19-2019, 12:26 PM)Alphonse il Segundo Wrote: I think setting a time limit for minimum prayer required to appease Divine Justice really exacerbates the idea of God as a legalistic overlord. I don't like it but, I presume Father is coming from a good place.

Fr. Ripperger is pretty legalistic, which is a reason that I've gotten away from listening to his conferences although God bless him for the solid information he puts out. I think it stems from his role as an exorcist.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'And he shall be as a tree that is planted by the waters, that spreadeth out its roots towards moisture: and it shall not fear when the heat cometh.' - Jeremias 17:8

[Image: 180px-SA_160-Jeremia_op_de_puinhopen_van_Jeruzalem.jpg]
(06-19-2019, 12:26 PM)Alphonse il Segundo Wrote: A little sarcastic, but I get the point. 

I think setting a time limit for minimum prayer required to appease Divine Justice really exacerbates the idea of God as a legalistic overlord. I don't like it but, I presume Father is coming from a good place. There are probably a lot of Catholics who don't feel like praying more than a few Hail Marys in the morning and maybe grace. I have no clue where he got this number from, but it is still a good idea to have something consistent in daily devotion.

I imagine if someone has a hard time caring about prayer enough that they can only mumble off a rote Hail Mary or two, God's probably not going to be much more interested in their prayer if they manage to pray for an extended period of time.  If it's not from the heart (not saying a formulated prayer can't be an aid to that), then it's an incantation.  If one has to time themselves, I doubt they're prayer earnestly.
I think Fr Ripperger is being less legalistic and more so helping find a golden mean. If someone can't bother to spend 1/3 of 1 hour with God a day... I dunno man. I dunno.
[-] The following 2 users Like Some Guy's post:
  • Augustinian, HailGilbert