Is it best to avoid secular music completely?
Secular music is fine. Gregorian chant was never meant to be heard outside the divine services anyways. People always played profane music outside of church for their enjoyment, secular music can be beautiful and reflect the goodness of God, but it's meant for a different place and time.

So many things can be distractions from prayer, should I stop reading books if sometimes their content comes up in my mind during prayer? Of course not.
"If your heart comes to feel a natural hatred for sin, it has defeated the causes of sin and freed itself from them. Keep hell’s torments in mind; but know that your Helper is at hand. Do nothing that will grieve Him, but say to Him with tears: ‘Be merciful and deliver me, O Lord, for without Thy help I cannot escape from the hands of my enemies.’ Be attentive to your heart, and He will guard you from all evil."

- St. Isaias the Solitary

"Constant action overcomes cold; being still overcomes heat. Purity
and stillness give the correct law to all under heaven."

- Tao Te Ching 45
[-] The following 2 users Like Florus's post:
  • Alphonse il Segundo, piscis
(06-30-2019, 11:30 AM)FultonFan Wrote:
(06-27-2019, 12:42 PM)piscis Wrote: Lol I don't what I'd do if I had that song stuck in my head during prayer. :LOL:

I’m not kidding, the song is still in my head a lot of the time, even as I type this.
And I have myself to blame. Despite complaining about having the song in my head, I have still listened to it, just because I find it catchy.
Why does a mind do this??  
Why does it want me to continue listening to a song interiorly??

It sounds like in your case, you should look at your temperament and see that music may affect you more deeply or remain with you longer than it may for others. Knowing that, you should act accordingly and be more prudent in your exposure to catchy music, not because it's bad but because of the simple recognition that it may stick with you longer than desirable. The same happens to me with movies and strong visuals, so in my own case, I never watch horror movies or things that would shake me up because of the simple recognition that those images will stay with me a long time, and I neither want those distractions nor can afford to have them when working or praying, etc. So I typically don't watch movies or TV at all.

Realize that this isn't a matter of sinfulness or not (that's a separate and legitimate discussion); it's just temperamental differences and can be irritating or bothersome, but that's it. Good opportunities for patience, resignation, humility, fortitude, and prudence and moderation in the future. 

Sometimes when I've had an image or song stuck in my head in the past, I incorporated it into my prayer. I would talk to God about it. "See, God, how this song is still here? Look at how little I can control my mind! Without Your help, I'm just wandering and bouncing around like a pinball. Is there something here that You're trying to show me? Give me the grace and illumination to see. Give me the strength to remain calm and focused on You." That's just an example off the top of my head. 

I just realized I'm giving advice, and that's always a bad idea. So take that all with a grain of salt. You know yourself the best!
[-] The following 1 user Likes piscis's post:
  • FultonFan
I get songs stuck in my head: typically when I am over-anxious about something.  I even hear these in my dreams, which can be a very disconcerting experience.

I do think it is the best path not to listen to saecular music or even music in general, etc., but that path away from saecular things is not necessarily part of each person's life in the world.  If you're not living as a religious woman in a cloister and it doesn't interfere with family duty, then it is not necessary to cut off that part of the world, unless it is filth, e.g., occasion of sin, etc.
A friend once told me that what works for him to get a song out of his head is to try to sing "Amazing Grace" to the tune of the Gilligan's Island theme song. 

I guess it's supposed to be so odd and complex that it's hard to get stuck.

I'm not sure it works, but it certainly puts a smile on my face to see people try it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MagisterMusicae's post:
  • jovan66102