Drinking Wine Helps Your Brain in an Unexpected Way, According to Yale Neuroscience
I enjoy a good glass of wine, like a nice Chianti with at an evening at an Italian Restaurant or doing some wine tasting at local vineyards featuring their wines. The benefits have long been touted and this article has some interesting insights into those pleasures of wine drinking:

Keyboard Warrior

Article Wrote:Link to Original Article

Drinking Wine Helps Your Brain in an Unexpected Way, According to Yale Neuroscience
By Scott MautzKeynote speaker and author, 'Find the Fire' and 'Make It Matter'@scott_mautz

Who doesn't appreciate when science says something you love is healthy to do? For example, my ears perk up when I hear about studies on the health benefits of drinking coffee, on listening to music, or on taking micro-naps at the office.

Now, another reason to tune in and perk up: Science is telling us about the benefits of drinking wine. The benefits center on our center -- our brain and its health. And what's good for the brain is good for our happiness, success, and longevity.  

It all started in 2017, when Yale neuroscientist Gordon Shepherd told NPR that tasting wine engages more of the brain than any other human behavior. Solving a tough math problem, listening to music, and trying to hit a curveball each stimulate the brain less than drinking a glass of wine.

Tasting wine triggers a complex series of interplays as air meets liquid. The tongue, jaw, throat and diaphragm, as well as taste and odor receptors all get involved to send signals to the brain that trigger serious cognitive work. Your brain gets involved in pattern recognition ("Have I tasted something like this before?"), memory, value judgment, emotion, and pleasure.

And with the brain, much like getting older, you've got to use it or lose it, so deeply engaging the brain is a good thing. Studies on the importance of using all of your senses to stay mentally sharp are common, and mental sharpness is table stakes for entrepreneurs looking to maximize productivity. 
Wine's brain-benefits don't stop there.

Research from Professor Paul Schimmel of the Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, California showed that resveratrol, an organic compound found in red wine, activates a chemical pathway that helps limit stress and damage to DNA cells in the brain, which would otherwise result in aging and disease.  

A 2018 study from the University of Rochester Medical Center found that low levels of alcohol consumption, like wine, can lower inflammation in the brain and help it clear away toxins, including those linked to serious diseases of the brain. And research from Johns Hopkins Medicine shows that red wine helps shield the brain from damage following a stroke.

Of course, wine only gives you this tasting of benefits when consumed in moderation, as is true with many things in life. The Mayo Clinic defines moderation as one 12-ounce glass per day for women of all ages, and two 12-ounce glasses per day for men up to 65. Very few medical professionals would recommend taking up alcohol/wine consumption if it wasn't something you already enjoyed.

Still, it's nice when science makes you feel OK about something you love to partake in. Especially when it goes the extra mile to show benefits to something as important for our success and outlook as brain health.

Now, if scientists would only get to work on justifying the consumption of cookie-dough ice cream.

Like this column? Sign up to subscribe to email alerts and you'll never miss a post.

The opinions expressed here by Inc.com columnists are their own, not those of Inc.com.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous that he cannot believe it exists.
J Edgar Hoover

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain
[-] The following 2 users Like Zedta's post:
  • Bonaventure, TruthWhichIsChrist
I love wine, but really have to cut back. It's definitely one of my weaknesses.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
So, its now the month of the Most Precious Blood.

Litany of the Most 
Precious Blood of Our Lord Jesus Christ

https://www.fisheaters.com/litanypreciousblood.html
Lord, have mercy. (Lord, have mercy.) 
Christ, have mercy. (Christ, have mercy.) 
Lord, have mercy. (Lord, have mercy.) 

Christ, hear us. (Christ, hear us.) 
Christ, graciously hear us. (Christ, graciously hear us.) 

God the Father of Heaven, (have mercy on us.) 
God the Son, Redeemer of the world, (have mercy on us.) 
God, the Holy Spirit, (have mercy on us.) 
Holy Trinity, One God, (have mercy on us.)

Blood of Christ, only-begotten Son of the eternal Father, 
Blood of Christ, Incarnate Word of God, 
Blood of Christ, of the New and Eternal Testament, 
Blood of Christ, falling upon the earth in Agony, 
Blood of Christ, shed profusely in the Scourging, 
Blood of Christ, flowing forth in the Crowning with Thorns, 
Blood of Christ, poured out on the Cross, 
Blood of Christ, price of our salvation, 
Blood of Christ, without which there is no forgiveness, 
Blood of Christ, Eucharistic drink and refreshment of souls, 
Blood of Christ, stream of mercy, 
Blood of Christ, victor over demons, 
Blood of Christ, courage of Martyrs, 
Blood of Christ, strength of Confessors, 
Blood of Christ, bringing forth Virgins, 
Blood of Christ, help of those in peril, 
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, 
Blood of Christ, solace in sorrow, 
Blood of Christ, hope of the penitent, 
Blood of Christ, consolation of the dying, 
Blood of Christ, peace and tenderness of hearts, 
Blood of Christ, pledge of eternal life, 
Blood of Christ, freeing souls from purgatory, 
Blood of Christ, most worthy of all glory and honor,

s
a
v

u
s

Lamb of God, who taketh away the sins of the world, (spare us, O Lord.) 
Lamb of God, who taketh away the sins of the world, (graciously hear us, O Lord.) 
Lamb of God, who taketh away the sins of the world, (have mercy on us, O Lord.) 
Thou hast redeemed us, O Lord, in Thy Blood. (And made us, for our God, a kingdom.) 

Let us pray. Almighty and eternal God, Thou hast appointed Thine only-begotten Son the Redeemer of the world and willed to be appeased by his blood. Grant, we beg of Thee, that we may worthily adore this price of our salvation and through its power be safeguarded from the evils of the present life so that we may rejoice in its fruits forever in heaven. Through the same Christ our Lord. (Amen.)
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
[-] The following 1 user Likes JacafamalaRedux's post:
  • Zedta
It's like Fr. Hesse used to say about wine; Wine is the greatest drink known to mankind, so great that Our Lord chose to become it in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass (paraphrasing of course)

I personally am not much of a wine-drinker, more of a stout or bourbon kind of guy. Although mead is excellent.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'Vanity of vanities, said Ecclesiastes: vanity of vanities, and all is vanity.' - Ecclesiastes 1:2

My blog: https://slavetothesacredhe.art.blog/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Augustinian's post:
  • Zedta
Well, that's all the excuse I needed to enjoy a glass or two tonight. Got a Chilean Cab/Merlot blend decanting now.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bonaventure's post:
  • MagisterMusicae, Zedta
(07-02-2019, 05:35 PM)Augustinian Wrote: It's like Fr. Hesse used to say about wine; Wine is the greatest drink known to mankind, so great that Our Lord chose to become it in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass (paraphrasing of course)

I personally am not much of a wine-drinker, more of a stout or bourbon kind of guy. Although mead is excellent.

I'll never touch hard liquor. For me, that'd be really bad. The night I became engaged I had wine with dinner and two Irish coffees after dinner. I'm not proud to say that the room was spinning and my head was in the toilet a little later on that night. Never again.

God rest his soul, I wish he were still around...I love the way Fr Hesse talked about wine--I liked the way he talked about most things, and I think he was a lot of fun. But let's not forget he wasn't in the best of health (to say the least) and he died very young.
[-] The following 2 users Like JacafamalaRedux's post:
  • Augustinian, Zedta
Interesting... one 12-ounce glass per day? By all standards a single glass of wine is 5 ounces (or 150ml). If I drink 12 ounces I'm feeling mighty fine  Big Grin . That's half a bottle!

I'm a wine and beer guy. I'm a bit more snobby in regards to beer, but wine I'll drink just about anything. Typically one to two glasses is my limit, but for a wedding or some special occasion I may partake in slightly more (I mean Our Lord did give a bunch of drunk people more wine at a wedding!). Usually I can stay sober much longer on wine than other versions of alcohol for some reason (must be my Italian blood). Usually helps when I drink it over a four hour period as well.

Also love the idea of wine being the greatest beverage on earth considering Our Lord becoming it in the Eucharist. Certainly something to think about when enjoying a glass.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612

[Image: 2lq3.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes GangGreen's post:
  • Zedta
(07-08-2019, 10:13 AM)GangGreen Wrote: Interesting... one 12-ounce glass per day? By all standards a single glass of wine is 5 ounces (or 150ml). If I drink 12 ounces I'm feeling mighty fine  Big Grin . That's half a bottle!

I'm a wine and beer guy. I'm a bit more snobby in regards to beer, but wine I'll drink just about anything. Typically one to two glasses is my limit, but for a wedding or some special occasion I may partake in slightly more (I mean Our Lord did give a bunch of drunk people more wine at a wedding!). Usually I can stay sober much longer on wine than other versions of alcohol for some reason (must be my Italian blood). Usually helps when I drink it over a four hour period as well.

Also love the idea of wine being the greatest beverage on earth considering Our Lord becoming it in the Eucharist. Certainly something to think about when enjoying a glass.

Right, I think about that sometimes, too. Maybe most Catholics do. That and bread. Holy food. They're not to be abused, else you'll end up fat and drunk.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JacafamalaRedux's post:
  • Zedta