Typical!
I took this photo this morning.

**image deleted for the sake of peace**

It is becoming more and more common that you see females with their male intended/counterparts in the same climate zone dressed so very differently.  You'd think that if they're both human persons, both would require at least the same amount of coverage.  I just shake my head because it seems apparent that this sort of clothes on a woman is to reveal her feminine beauty rather than to protect her from the sun, chiggers, and the gaze of people with evil intention.

It's amazing how women get away with going to Mass in what amounts to underwear.

It's not very surprising this is allowed, however, when at the same parish they have little cross-dressers serving at the altar.
[-] The following 1 user Likes yablabo's post:
  • Zedta
Quite awhile ago I read a column from a fellow who confessed to impure thoughts. His confessor told him to avoid the occasion of sin. He replied that he couldn't. Father asked why? He said that he had to attend Mass and it was immodestly dressed women at his confessor's Mass that was the occasion of sin.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 5 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • Augustinian, divinesilence80, Jeeter, SeeTheLight, Zedta
(07-01-2019, 12:18 AM)yablabo Wrote: I just shake my head because it seems apparent that this sort of clothes on a woman is to reveal her feminine beauty rather than to protect her from the sun, chiggers, and the gaze of people with evil intention.

Yet when one mentions the bolded part, people jump on your case about it's "her right" to dress how she chooses, only to scream about patriarchy when people stare at her. Sigh...

Yes, modesty and proper attire for Mass, and society overall, is a real problem.

A while back a woman walked in to our parish in a really short dress that was split down the back to the point you could see the top of her underwear and sat directly in front of my family. It was distracting to my boys to the point that we relocated to another pew, then had a discussion about the reason for modesty, proper attire, respect for others, for oneself, etc that afternoon. Funny thing is, our pastor's homily was largely focused on proper mindset, attitude, and attire for Mass, and I guess it touched a nerve with this lady, because she walked out. Hopefully she realized her error and started dressing properly for Mass, but my realist side is pretty sure she went to another parish that lets anything go.

On a humorous note, what's the odds that someone at CAF will mention you in a post complaining about someone using her cell phone in church? :P
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jeeter's post:
  • Zedta
I just wish people would realize they could be modest and beautiful at the same time. It’s difficult to attract people to tradition when you’re at a traditional Latin Mass with a friend and a family of 12 pulls up dressed like they robbed the set of Little House on the Prairie. That makes us look more like a weird, brainwashed cult than a group of educated, informed Catholics who embrace an ancient expression of worship.

The people dressed immodestly at Mass can be distracting, although I’m glad they at least bothered to go at all. That woman shows too much arm and too much leg and if she’s showing that much from the back I don’t want to imagine the front. Still, I can’t help but think at least she bothered to go. I used to think that wasn’t good enough- and it isn’t- but as I’ve grown older, I’ve realized that simply going really is a good place to start. Just going helps a person remember that God is real, and that church is important. Maybe after going enough times, and with enough prayer from themselves and others, they will grow up a little more, and learn to dress up a little more.
(07-01-2019, 02:06 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: Quite awhile ago I read a column from a fellow who confessed to impure thoughts. His confessor told him to avoid the occasion of sin. He replied that he couldn't. Father asked why? He said that he had to attend Mass and it was immodestly dressed women at his confessor's Mass that was the occasion of sin.

I should have taken a panoramic shot to show the reactions of the men nearby.  It was mostly eyes squeezed shut and heads down.
(07-01-2019, 08:12 AM)Jeeter Wrote:
(07-01-2019, 12:18 AM)yablabo Wrote: I just shake my head because it seems apparent that this sort of clothes on a woman is to reveal her feminine beauty rather than to protect her from the sun, chiggers, and the gaze of people with evil intention.

Yet when one mentions the bolded part, people jump on your case about it's "her right" to dress how she chooses, only to scream about patriarchy when people stare at her.  Sigh...

Yes, modesty and proper attire for Mass, and society overall, is a real problem.

A while back a woman walked in to our parish in a really short dress that was split down the back to the point you could see the top of her underwear and sat directly in front of my family.  It was distracting to my boys to the point that we relocated to another pew, then had a discussion about the reason for modesty, proper attire, respect for others, for oneself, etc that afternoon.  Funny thing is, our pastor's homily was largely focused on proper mindset, attitude, and attire for Mass, and I guess it touched a nerve with this lady, because she walked out.  Hopefully she realized her error and started dressing properly for Mass, but my realist side is pretty sure she went to another parish that lets anything go.

On a humorous note, what's the odds that someone at CAF will mention you in a post complaining about someone using her cell phone in church? :P

I doubt anyone actually noticed I took the photo.  I'm pretty stealthy.

I find the whole thing a bit comical as she was kneeling before a pretty explicit statuary (reredos) showing Our Lady and another female saint in catholic attire.

[Image: 34399634_959618810866493_111760976096788...e=5D838D24]
(07-01-2019, 10:47 AM)Credidi Propter Wrote: I just wish people would realize they could be modest and beautiful at the same time. It’s difficult to attract people to tradition when you’re at a traditional Latin Mass with a friend and a family of 12 pulls up dressed like they robbed the set of Little House on the Prairie. That makes us look more like a weird, brainwashed cult than a group of educated, informed Catholics who embrace an ancient expression of worship.

The people dressed immodestly at Mass can be distracting, although I’m glad they at least bothered to go at all. That woman shows too much arm and too much leg and if she’s showing that much from the back I don’t want to imagine the front. Still, I can’t help but think at least she bothered to go. I used to think that wasn’t good enough- and it isn’t- but as I’ve grown older, I’ve realized that simply going really is a good place to start. Just going helps a person remember that God is real, and that church is important. Maybe after going enough times, and with enough prayer from themselves and others, they will grow up a little more, and learn to dress up a little more.

I don't agree on simply going to Mass.  There is an objective quality and purpose to the Mass that precludes treating Mass and the consecrated space as one's boudoir. 

I don't have a problem with the Little House on the Prairie families.  They look weird, yes, but they've got a greater decorum and care showing through than a rich woman in cloutie bottoms as pictured above.  :)
[-] The following 1 user Likes yablabo's post:
  • CarmeliteKnight
Am I the only one who finds it more inappropriate and disrespectful to be photographing a young women from behind and sharing her photo on the internet to point out her exposed body, than her choice of how to dress?

It's seriously troubling to me that your disposition at church was to pull out a cell phone and secretly photograph this women, to make an example of her -- a women who is reverently kneeling in prayer in the church, no less -- rather than focusing your attention on the altar and your own prayer life and imperfections.

The concept of modesty in church can be discussed without such harsh judgement and inappropriate violations of personal dignity against an individual whom you presume to accuse of inappropriate behaviour.
"There are not over a hundred people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church -- which is, of course, quite a different thing." -Ven. Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

"Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity." -Fr. John Hardon, S.J.
[-] The following 4 users Like Steven's post:
  • Alphonse il Segundo, Filiolus, ForTheOneILove99, St.Eliza
(07-01-2019, 12:33 PM)Steven Wrote: Am I the only one who finds it more inappropriate and disrespectful to be photographing a young women from behind and sharing her photo on the internet to point out her exposed body, than her choice of how to dress?

It's seriously troubling to me that your disposition at church was to pull out a cell phone and secretly photograph this women, to make an example of her -- a women who is reverently kneeling in prayer in the church, no less -- rather than focusing your attention on the altar and your own prayer life and imperfections.

The concept of modesty in church can be discussed without such harsh judgement and inappropriate violations of personal dignity against an individual whom you presume to accuse of inappropriate behaviour.

I was wondering when this commentary would break out.

To be clear, I did not take a photo of this woman alone.  I took it of her and her intended to contrast the appreciation of human nature. 

What I did was neither a harsh judgment nor any sort of inappropriate violation.  Kansas is a single party consent state for recording.  If you come out in public, you can be recorded without any consideration of violation.  Any violation of personal dignity would be on the part of one who appeared thus in public if it is wrong to appear as such in public.

I did not reveal her identity, nor the identity of her intended.
(07-01-2019, 12:16 PM)yablabo Wrote: I doubt anyone actually noticed I took the photo.  I'm pretty stealthy.

I figured as much.  For the record, I was messin' with you. :D

Quote:I find the whole thing a bit comical as she was kneeling before a pretty explicit statuary (reredos) showing Our Lady and another female saint in catholic attire.

[Image: 34399634_959618810866493_111760976096788...e=5D838D24]

Wow.  That's beautiful.  May I ask where?
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden