Kingdom of God
There are many abstract concepts in Christianity and this one is up there I think.
Kingdom of God. We hear Jesus talk about this often. 

But what does it mean? Is the human mind even capable of understanding this concept?
Interpretations are many. Some are simple explanations and others are very convoluted.

How do guys in here interpret the Kingdom of God? Is it heaven? Is it within us? I dunno...
"And being asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God should come, he answering them and said: The kingdom of God cometh not with observation. Neither shall they say: Behold here, or behold there. For lo, the kingdom of God is within you." -Luke 17:20-21

The way I see it is the Kingdom of God is the reestablishment of God's dominion in the heart of mankind through Christ and the Holy Ghost. Lucifer, the prince of this world, was dethroned with the Incarnation. Which liberated the hearts of men from the tyranny of sin and opened the way to eternity with God.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'Vanity of vanities, said Ecclesiastes: vanity of vanities, and all is vanity.' - Ecclesiastes 1:2

My blog: https://slavetothesacredhe.art.blog/
[-] The following 3 users Like Augustinian's post:
  • jack89, mpk1987, Porkncheese
The "Kingdom" is a metaphor for the Church in the wide sense (the Church militant, suffering and triumphant, including the Communion of Saints).

The term "kingdom" is most often found in the synoptic Gospels (36 times in St Matthew, 14 times in St Mark, 32 times in St Luke), which are written earlier, but not much in the rest of the New Testament which is written later (Twice in St John's Gospel and only 5 times in the rest of the NT).  In its place is found an increasing usage of "Church" which fits in the same context where one might expect to find "kingdom".

Loisy and other Modernists took this to suggest that "Kingdom" is the early term, but when the Parousia (Second Coming) did not happen as expected, the Apostles invented the term "Church". There is no evidence for this, and its presumes the false Modernistic and Rationalistic hypothesis behind the evolution of religions.

In reality it is a deeper development of terminology, all related to the Catholic Church.

"Kingdom" in Scripture is used in three different ways. It describes an internal reality (Lk 17.21), a visible and social reality (Mt 4.17 ), and a future/escatalogical reality (Mt 25.34).

Each of these relates to the Catholic Church. The visible or social reality is the Catholic Church itself. The internal reality is Sanctifying Grace which makes one to be united to the kingdom. The future/escatalogical relates to the heavenly end which for which the visible Church provides the means for access to each soul.

So when Christ is preaching the "kingdom" He is announcing the means of salvation which he gives to the Church and the eternal happiness of heaven which is the purpose of that Church. He also describes this kingdom as going through stages of perfection (the mustard seed) which directly correlates with the Church militant itself. And thus for all the above reasons, the shift to "Church" in place of "Kingdom" in the later Scripture is merely a unified development of theology.

The term "kingdom" is not always used in Scripture to describe an institution, but at other times it most certainly is, and so, taken together, we see different images of the Catholic Church. That is also confirmed by the usage of the Magisterium which (at least before Vatican II, which prefers to speak of the "People of God") spoke of the Church as "the Kingdom  of God upon Earth" (Cf. Humanum genus, Quas primas, Mystici corporis).
[-] The following 6 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • Augustinian, BCSweetie, Florus, jack89, mpk1987, Porkncheese
MagisterMusicae Wrote:"Kingdom" in Scripture is used in three different ways. It describes an internal reality (Lk 17.21), a visible and social reality (Mt 4.17 ), and a future/escatalogical reality (Mt 25.34).

I thought this topic would have generated more discussion. Anyway I thank the guys who contributed.

The term "kingdom" can be difficult to comprehend because we see it being used in different contexts.
These 3 descriptions will be helpful in interpreting scripture.

God Bless
The Holy Spirit.
I had originally planned to start a thread on this concept but seeing there was little interest in the concept of the "kingdom of god" I decided to just ask about it here. 
Perhaps MagisterMusicae can give me some food for thought on this topic as your previous explanation of the kingdom of god was excellent.

First I would like to better identify our spirit. Is it the same thing as our soul? Can we sense it?
We believe our soul will go on after we die, how so? Can it even be understood or is it a mystery to us?

I'm just thinking out loud here but what is this part of our minds that stays awake at night creating it's own reality?
Could that be where our spirit resides? As a form of consciousness that is only perceptible when we sleep?
A consciousness that is trapped within our minds until the day of our judgement when it is released?

They say sleep is the cousin of death and the bible often uses sleep to describe death. 
Science tells us that sleep repairs and restores our organs, muscles, brain, etc. But perhaps there is more to it than that.
Maybe the essence of sleep is about returning to our true spiritual home.

Maybe upon death this part of our consciousness leaves our bodies, to be judged by God.
My mother first laughed at this thought when I told her. So I asked what her explanation of the spirit was.
She realized that she didn't have any idea what the spirit was and that my idea wasn't so funny after all.
Science knows so much about the human body. They can fabricate body parts and understand much of our bodies systems.
But we know more about the universe than our brain. Perhaps the secret of the spirit resides in our minds.

The Holy Spirit. Jesus said that blasphemy against it is an unforgivable sin. 
Therefore I feel that it is important for me to gain a better understanding of it.
The father, the son and the Holy Spirit makes up the trinity yet how many people can define the Holy Spirit? I can't.

Jesus speaks about the Holy Spirit and it is seen in action in the Acts of the Apostles. 
Several times it fills believers in dramatic circumstances. 
Does anyone here claim to be filled with the Holy Spirit? Was it as dramatic as the description in Acts 2:1-4?

I had a dramatic experience a month ago. Science calls them sleep hallucinations though it's cause is unclear. 
The images I saw weren't scary in nature, just seeing something that isn't there is enough to frighten anyone.
It clearly wasn't a dream and finding a scientific explanation reassured me that I wasn't going insane.
Apparently it happens to most people at least once in their lives. Maybe there is a spiritual connection.

Saint Thomas Aquinas lists six sins that supposedly go against the Holy Spirit.
* despair: which consists in thinking that one's own malice is greater than Divine Goodness,
* presumption: if a man wants to obtain glory without merits or pardon without repentance
* resistance to the known truth,
* envy of a brother's spiritual good, i.e., of the increase of Divine grace in the world,
* impenitence, i.e., the specific purpose of not repenting a sin,
* obstinacy, whereby a man, clinging to his sin, becomes immune to the thought that the good searched in it is a very little one.

Please help me to avoid committing the unforgivable sin by better understanding the Holy Spirit and/or our spirit.

God Bless.