Using Confession App in the Confessional — any issue?
Can’t see how it would be.
But thought I’d ask.
No, I type my sins out in notepad on my phone and use that, otherwise I won't remember everything. I don't see why it would be an issue.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

“Behold this Heart which has so loved men that It spared nothing, even going so far as to exhaust and consume Itself to prove to them Its love” - Our Lord to St. Margaret Mary

My blog: https://slavetothesacredhe.art.blog/
Coming from the perspective of someone who doesnt want everyone to know what i'm confessing, id suggest good ol pen and paper if you need to write it down. Our information on our phones is always being scanned by Google, Facebook, Apple, Amazon and nothing is out of bounds for them. In fact, I wouldnt even bring the phone into the church. I'd turn it off and leave it in your vehicle. We have proof that the government can still turn on your microphone and listen to you even if your phone is off.

This ties in with the laws being passed around the world and even here in California, wanting to destroy the sanctity of the confessional.

I wouldn't worry so much about it looking irreverent, but with the practical evil that it brings.
[-] The following 6 users Like HeadRusch's post:
  • alright, josh987654321, jovan66102, MiserereMeiDeus, SeeTheLight, St.Eliza
(07-06-2019, 12:55 PM)HeadRusch Wrote: Coming from the perspective of someone who doesn't want everyone to know what i'm confessing, I'd suggest good ol pen and paper if you need to write it down. Our information on our phones is always being scanned by Google, Facebook, Apple, Amazon and nothing is out of bounds for them. In fact, I wouldn't even bring the phone into the church. I'd turn it off and leave it in your vehicle. We have proof that the government can still turn on your microphone and listen to you even if your phone is off.

This ties in with the laws being passed around the world and even here in California, wanting to destroy the sanctity of the confessional.

I wouldn't worry so much about it looking irreverent, but with the practical evil that it brings.

afraidsmiley  Thanks for extra incentive to continue to prefer my low-tech-as-possible life, which includes my simple-as-possible text/talk-only phone. Sometimes I feel like the only one around doing this, and I wonder if I will give in and get with the 21st century after all. Maybe not!

The microphone thing you tell here does make me think I will leave the phone home for church and trust God I won't need it on the way there or back. I tend to prefer to leave my phone in the next room - but maybe the next floor is a better idea...

Hopefully if a person is using his phone for this purpose (or for anything else private), and it's too inconvenient to take up an alternative method, he will make judicious use of his own private abbreviations...
(07-06-2019, 12:14 PM)FultonFan Wrote: Can’t see how it would be.
But thought I’d ask.

If I were a Priest I would not like it at all, as nations pass iniquitous laws surrounding the seal of confession, there is no way to tell if they are not recording the confession or not. I would strongly advise against writing them down at all and especially not on any device, I would just remember as many as you can and the biggest ones, if you forget then you can include "These and all the sins in my life" to cover them.

Remember if you write them down, anything can happen, you can lose the list, others can find it etc etc, and it's especially dangerous doing so on your phone IMO (Open to blackmail too). You should never write anything down or put anything into your phone that you wouldn't mind the whole world to see.

God Bless
"Behold the Heart that has so loved men that it has spared nothing, even to exhausting and consuming Itself, in order to testify Its love; in return, I receive from the greater part only ingratitude, by their irreverence and sacrilege, and by the coldness and contempt they have for Me in this Sacrament of Love. But what I feel most keenly is that it is hearts which are consecrated to Me that treat Me thus.” - St. Margaret Mary. Ignored by King of France Culminating in French Revolution.

"Charity concert at Cdl. Schonborn's Cathedral features shirtless actor dancing on Communion rail" - Dec 4, 2018

Use the app, but write down your sins on a piece of paper. You don't want Apple or Google getting your sins.
of course, burn the piece of paper after confession.
--BobCatholic 
I'm praying for the souls in purgatory. Come, let's empty Purgatory with Jesus' help!

(07-06-2019, 12:14 PM)FultonFan Wrote: Can’t see how it would be.
But thought I’d ask.

No it is fine. Coming from someone who suffers from scrupulosity though I would suggest against writing down your sins if you happen to suffer from scrupulosity. At least for me it often makes me more scrupulous as it gives me the temptation to write things down which are not really sins or makes me fret over sins that’s I wrote down but accidentally for forgot to Confess. At least for me since I usually Confess every week or  two I figured it’s better to simply to simply Confess whatever sins I remember at the time of confession.
The sin of the century is the loss of the sense of sin- His Holiness Pope Pius XII

Walking In The Desert
I believe it is Father Phil Wolfe (FSSP) who has an audio sermon on YouTube about this - - called something like "No cell phones in the Confessional."  It's about the state using cell phones as surveillance for issues like sexual abuse of minors, but as I recall, there was at least one other reason, applying to all of us, that he stated that priests are advising strongly against even bringing your cell phone into the confessional, or certainly in the On position.  This is difficult for me because of all the auto burglaries (including from hidden car recesses, car trunks, etc.) where I live and the fact that I have an expensive new iphone, so I pretty much have to keep it with me.

I only write my sins down, however.  Never, never do I use my phone.  In fact, I use no electronic device whatsoever.  I use pen and paper, then shred or burn the list when I get home.
I think if the state were to eavesdrop on me in the confessional they'd be rather bored.  I do write down my sins on paper. In code so only I can read them. True.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
At most I use a notepad app and just use short abbreviations for things. For example, if you gossiped you can write 1x Go or similar. Make it so that only you can understand what you're writing and if it were to fall into the wrong hands someone would have no idea what it means. Also agree with Jaca, they'd probably not be too interested in my sins, even the mortal ones, as compared to secular morality they're not considered all that bad. There's a reason why Catholic morality has a much higher standard and is difficult.

Either way, I typically read over a website that discusses cases of mortal sins prior and hope I can prepare enough to remember them. If you forget to mention something then it's still considered forgiven unless what I've been told by various places/priests is wrong. The main thing is that you're not making a conscious decision to exclude something.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612

[Image: 2lq3.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes GangGreen's post:
  • St.Eliza